You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top 2O teams in England...

Elite

The Leeds thread gave me the idea of a 20 team Premier league based on club size, merit, history  (not just the sky generation) and personal preference of what a 'big club' is, though this is very much open to debate.

My twenty in order.

1. Liverpool

2. Manchester United

3. Arsenal

4. Chelsea

5. Everton

6. Nottingham Forest

7. Aston Villa

8. Manchester City

9. Blackburn

10. Newcastle

11. Tottenham

12. Leeds

13. Leicester

14. Sunderland 

15. West Ham

16. Derby County

17. Middlesbrough

18. Southampton

19. Crystal Palace 

20. Birmingham City

• Upvote 1

Good idea. I thought of this once when I was bored at work. No idea what that list was but here's a new one (in no particular order). It was based partly on titles won, which brings up a few oldies who've been shit for decades but in their day were great. 

Liverpool

Man Utd

Arsenal

Leeds

Aston Villa

Tottenham

Preston

Newcastle

Sunderland

Everton

Notts Forest

Wolves

Chelsea

West Ham

Derby

Leicester

Man City

Blackburn

Sheffield Wednesday

Huddersfield

• Upvote 1

I think Coventry and Portsmouth are real sleeping giants , and its shame the south west has no representation so a place could be found for Brizzell City.

Would only have one Lancs team so not sure if Blackburn, Preston or Bolton would get the nod

4 hours ago, sir roger said:

I think Coventry and Portsmouth are real sleeping giants , and its shame the south west has no representation so a place could be found for Brizzell City.

Would only have one Lancs team so not sure if Blackburn, Preston or Bolton would get the nod

Love you mate but Coventry. Nah.

• Upvote 1

Liverpool

Man Utd

Arsenal

Chelsea

Man City

Tottenham

Aston Villa

Everton

Newcastle

Nottingham Forest

Wolves

Blackburn

Sunderland

Sheffield Wednesday

Leeds

West Brom

West Ham

Sheffield United

Huddersfield

Portsmouth

Done on the simple measure of trophies won.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
12 hours ago, Elite said:

The Leeds thread gave me the idea of a 20 team Premier league based on club size, merit, history  (not just the sky generation) and personal preference of what a 'big club' is, though this is very much open to debate.

My twenty in order.

1. Liverpool

2. Manchester United

3. Arsenal

4. Chelsea

5. Everton

6. Nottingham Forest

7. Aston Villa

8. Manchester City

9. Blackburn

10. Newcastle

11. Tottenham

12. Leeds

13. Leicester

14. Sunderland 

15. West Ham

16. Derby County

17. Middlesbrough

18. Southampton

19. Crystal Palace 

20. Birmingham City

Boro are shite imo mate, and I wouldn't have Birmingham or Southampton in either. Palace are also shite, won 1 trophy and have a shit fan base. Leicester would also go into the category of who gets my last spot. 

If you go on Trophy hauls alone then you'd be surprised who actually makes the top 20 most successful clubs. I get that you are factoring in club size, fand base etc. I'd definitely have both Sheffield clubs in ahead of those I weeded out as they have a big enough fans base and have definitely been more successful. Two other clubs to make my own list which would differ from your own would be Wolves and West Brom. The final spot would be a toss up between Huddersfield, Portsmouth, Leicester or Bolton. 

So

Liverpool

Mancs

Arsenal

Chelsea

Spurs

City

Aston Villa

Bitters

Newcastle

Forest

Leeds

Wolves

Sheff Wed

Blackburn

Sunderland

West Ham

West Brom

Sheff Utd

Derby County

Take any last one from, Leicester, Portsmouth, Huddersfield or Bolton. 

The twenty teams that have spent the most seasons in top flight football (alphabetical order).

Aston Villa

Arsenal

Blackburn

Bolton

Chelsea

Derby

Everton

Liverpool

Manchester City

Manchester United 

Middlesbrough

Newcastle

Shefield Wednesday

Shefield United

Stoke

Sunderland 

Tottenham

West Brom

West Ham

Wolves

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
30 minutes ago, aws said:

Good list from Pistonbroke. I'd put Forest and Leeds above Villa but that would be my only quibble. 

Fair enough point about Forest and Leeds, but Villa have won nearly twice as many honours than Forest and nearly three times more than Leeds. Forests ground capacity has never been large and I have some unpleasant memories of visiting Nottingham. Leeds are on a par with Villa crowd/fan base wise but flatter to deceive on the honours list. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Fair enough point about Forest and Leeds, but Villa have won nearly twice as many honours than Forest and nearly three times more than Leeds. Forests ground capacity has never been large and I have some unpleasant memories of visiting Nottingham. Leeds are on a par with Villa crowd/fan base wise but flatter to deceive on the honours list. 

Maybe I put too much emphasis on the Revie and Clough eras but I always remember Leeds and Forest as true rivals whereas I always regarded Villa as a bit of a flash in the pan. 

15 hours ago, Elite said:

My twenty in order.

1. Liverpool

2. Manchester United

3. Arsenal

4. Chelsea

5. Everton

6. Nottingham Forest

7. Aston Villa

8. Manchester City

9. Blackburn

10. Newcastle

11. Tottenham

12. Leeds

13. Leicester

14. Sunderland 

15. West Ham

16. Derby County

17. Middlesbrough

18. Southampton

19. Crystal Palace 

20. Birmingham City

Not sure how Birmingham get in there ahead of Wolves to be honest.

Sunderland always amaze me. They were one of the biggest clubs and still hold 6 Division One titles to their name even if the last one was in 1936. It wasnt until the 60's that that total was exceeded by any other club.

They are the epitome of a sleeping giant. In fact, Id go as far to say they are the biggest sleeping giant in English football.