You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

SEGA vs Nintendo

Bjornebye

SEGA vs Nintendo   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who had the better consoles in the 90's ?

On 18/07/2020 at 00:20, Fluter in Dakota said:

The Dreamcast was the first console to have a connector for the Internet, which was only possible on PC at that time. I purchased it and it was a powerhouse of a console at the time; Soul Calibur was first released on it and it was stunning. 

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Sega and Sony could have worked together but Sony were jilted - so in 1994 PlayStation was born and Sega tried to get back in the game with Dreamcast in 1998. After the failure of the Saturn/32x and the boom of the PlayStation, they just couldn't get the market back. The Dreamcast was a great console. 

I think you mean Sony and Nintendo. But they had a falling out. 

1.0.jpg

6 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I think you mean Sony and Nintendo. But they had a falling out. 

1.0.jpg

It was originally Sony and Nintendo, Nintendo didn't want to help Sony become a rival. Then Sega and Sony came close afterwards and for exactly the same reason, Sega pulled out. I've posted a video on it a few posts back - it seems the possible work between Sony and Sega centred around mass producing onto discs instead of cartridges.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Yeah, can't get onboard with that. The PS1 controller was clearly better, but the N64 pad wasn't terrible, and for some games it was class (Goldeneye in particular).

Goldeneye, Mario 64 are two games off the bat that were fantastic. Wasn't there a Zelda game on the N64 that was just reviewed off the scale? Edit: The Ocarina of Time. Fucking hell. If this game isn't considered very good, I just want to stop.

2 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Goldeneye, Mario 64 are two games off the bat that were fantastic. Wasn't there a Zelda game on the N64 that was just reviewed off the scale? Edit: The Ocarina of Time. Fucking hell. If this game isn't considered very good, I just want to stop.

Yeah the pad was great for Ocarina of Time, too, and Mario Kart 64.

13 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Not of that standard, imo, and that was the thing about the N64; it only had a handful of really excellent games.

Thing is, it first sold in 1996 and stopped production in 2002. It didn't last very long but Nintendo have always made fantastic games, just their systems tended to be a mixed bag. I think I've owned the majority of systems (I've been a hobbyist since a kid with the ZX Spectrum) but I never owned the Gamecube as Nintendo's systems had a tendency to be great for a while but not last very long.

The Switch is their first actual console for years that seems able to last the test of time. They had the DS/3DS but they always ruled in handheld.

Although other games included Banjo and Kazooie which was great and I think Perfect Dark which was similar to Goldeneye.

11 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Thing is, it first sold in 1996 and stopped production in 2002. It didn't last very long but Nintendo have always made fantastic games, just their systems tended to be a mixed bag. I think I've owned the majority of systems (I've been a hobbyist since a kid with the ZX Spectrum) but I never owned the Gamecube as Nintendo's systems had a tendency to be great for a while but not last very long.

The Switch is their first actual console for years that seems able to last the test of time. They had the DS/3DS but they always ruled in handheld.

6 years is about the average life cycle of a console, isn't it? I suspect it was more down to the fact there were just less developers making games for them. Neither the N64 or Gamecube had anything like the libraries the PS1 or 2 did, anyway (or it certainly felt like that at the time).

6 years is about the average life cycle of a console, isn't it? I suspect it was more down to the fact there were just less developers making games for them. Neither the N64 or Gamecube had anything like the libraries the PS1 or 2 did, anyway (or it certainly felt like that at the time).

Aye, apparently they fucked Nintendo off coz of their commitment to cartridges. Check out the specs, too: only 2MB of RAM on the Playstation!

https://www.digitalspy.com/videogames/a443707/sony-playstation-vs-nintendo-64-gamings-greatest-rivalries/

There were definitely less developers making games for the N64 - Nintendo had a strict licensing system, charged extortionate prices for the cartridges to put the games onto and did not allow anything close to adult games be released on the system. Any blood at all and it pretty much got refused. They seem to have learned their lessons from their rigid control methods but there's signs they may be returning to them - they recently banned anyone else from selling their eStore games so other companies have to sell physical copies of their games.

Aye, apparently they fucked Nintendo off coz of their commitment to cartridges. Check out the specs, too: only 2MB of RAM on the Playstation!

https://www.digitalspy.com/videogames/a443707/sony-playstation-vs-nintendo-64-gamings-greatest-rivalries/

It's incredible that things have moved forward as they have, 2Mb on the Playstation at the time was jaw dropping. The Sega Master System had 8 kilobytes of RAM...

The Master System's main CPU is a Zilog Z80A, an 8-bit processor running at 4 MHz. It has 8 kB of ROM, 8 kB of RAM and 16 kB of video RAM.

4 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

It's incredible that things have moved forward as they have, 2Mb on the Playstation at the time was jaw dropping. The Sega Master System had 8 kilobytes of RAM...

The Master System's main CPU is a Zilog Z80A, an 8-bit processor running at 4 MHz. It has 8 kB of ROM, 8 kB of RAM and 16 kB of video RAM.

Wild, isn't it? I remember reading that the developers of Soul Reaver managed to load three whole game areas into memory at a time, to avoid any loading screens when you moved from one to another. That's pretty impressive considering there was only 2MB to play with!

3 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

And that was a nice looking game, too, with a lot going on in each area.

Back then the developers could access the systems nooks and crannies and do things that would cause shock, horror and alarm to modern games companies and system creators. That's pretty much why the whole industry moved towards game production engines (Unreal, Crytek etc) to prevent developers from getting a bit cocky with their platforms. Most games before that were created using machine code - it looks completely jibberish but as they experimented with it they could do all kinds of fancy shit.

6      5     5     5     5      6 bits
[  op  |  rs |  rt |  rd |shamt| funct]  R-type
[  op  |  rs |  rt | address/immediate]  I-type
[  op  |        target address        ]  J-type

rs, rt, and rd indicate register operands; shamt gives a shift amount; and the address or immediate fields contain an operand directly.

For example, adding the registers 1 and 2 and placing the result in register 6 is encoded:

[  op  |  rs |  rt |  rd |shamt| funct]
    0     1     2     6     0     32     decimal
 000000 00001 00010 00110 00000 100000   binary

Load a value into register 8, taken from the memory cell 68 cells after the location listed in register 3:

[  op  |  rs |  rt | address/immediate]
   35     3     8           68           decimal
 100011 00011 01000 00000 00001 000100   binary

Jumping to the address 1024:

[  op  |        target address        ]
    2                 1024               decimal
 000010 00000 00000 00000 10000 000000   binary

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

Ok, but still, 2MB! My Powershell scripts blow through that much in the Begin block.

If you gave @dave u 2Mb of RAM to run this site, I reckon he'd just about get his logo uploaded.