You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

SEGA vs Nintendo

Bjornebye

SEGA vs Nintendo   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who had the better consoles in the 90's ?

I think Nintendo just have that niche hook as a family friendly, cartoon style console and it helps them stay away from the Sony/Microsoft battle. 

Sega consoles was very good back in the day. The mega drive was a bloody workhorse I got mine when I was about 5 or 6 and it lasted me through to 14 with heavy use and never once had a problem. 

16 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Back then the developers could access the systems nooks and crannies and do things that would cause shock, horror and alarm to modern games companies and system creators. That's pretty much why the whole industry moved towards game production engines (Unreal, Crytek etc) to prevent developers from getting a bit cocky with their platforms. Most games before that were created using machine code - it looks completely jibberish but as they experimented with it they could do all kinds of fancy shit.

6      5     5     5     5      6 bits
[  op  |  rs |  rt |  rd |shamt| funct]  R-type
[  op  |  rs |  rt | address/immediate]  I-type
[  op  |        target address        ]  J-type

rs, rt, and rd indicate register operands; shamt gives a shift amount; and the address or immediate fields contain an operand directly.

For example, adding the registers 1 and 2 and placing the result in register 6 is encoded:

[  op  |  rs |  rt |  rd |shamt| funct]
    0     1     2     6     0     32     decimal
 000000 00001 00010 00110 00000 100000   binary

Load a value into register 8, taken from the memory cell 68 cells after the location listed in register 3:

[  op  |  rs |  rt | address/immediate]
   35     3     8           68           decimal
 100011 00011 01000 00000 00001 000100   binary

Jumping to the address 1024:

[  op  |        target address        ]
    2                 1024               decimal
 000010 00000 00000 00000 10000 000000   binary

God, I remember writing machine code to animate a sprite on the Atari 800. A week of head-scratching with reams of graph paper used to design the sprite pixel by pixel. All to get some monochrome 8x8 fella to run around the screen firing in all 8 joystick directions. 

• 3 weeks later...