You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

SEGA vs Nintendo

Bjornebye

SEGA vs Nintendo   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who had the better consoles in the 90's ?

Nintendo every time for me.

List of consoles owned from first to last:
Atari 2600
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive (jap import)
SNES
N64
Nintendo GameCube 

Then handheld I had an Atari Lynx and then later on a Gameboy Advance.

For me the SNES was probably the best console out of all of them. The quality of the games was incredible and it was a definite step up from the Megadrive at the time.

6 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I never owned a console. 

Sob story out of the way. I could never understand why the Game Boy was so popular when Sega had a full colour handheld which was basically a mini Master System.

Connoisseurs will tell you what a great machine the Dreamcast was. 

The games, mainly. Game Gear was a bit clunky and plasticky and you were generally playing old arcade games or downgraded versions of Mega-Drive franchises.  Super Mario, Wario, Donkey Kong and Kirby all had their own games, then you had the likes of Worms and Tetris to keep you going on school trips - just as it started to lose steam, then Pokemon launched... 

6 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I never owned a console. 

Sob story out of the way. I could never understand why the Game Boy was so popular when Sega had a full colour handheld which was basically a mini Master System.

Connoisseurs will tell you what a great machine the Dreamcast was. 

The Dreamcast was the first console to have a connector for the Internet, which was only possible on PC at that time. I purchased it and it was a powerhouse of a console at the time; Soul Calibur was first released on it and it was stunning. 

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Sega and Sony could have worked together but Sony were jilted - so in 1994 PlayStation was born and Sega tried to get back in the game with Dreamcast in 1998. After the failure of the Saturn/32x and the boom of the PlayStation, they just couldn't get the market back. The Dreamcast was a great console. 

11 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Voted for Nintendo (Gameboy and NES), but I could have easily gone the other way, as I loved the Mega Drive and played loads of Master System games on the Power Base Converter.

D36DE5B3-7B2B-4C58-8EED-B3C521E85F3E.jpeg

Looks like a hoover. 

18 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Nintendo just because of Mario Kart which in my opinion is the best console game ever.

Sega have the best collection of games though.

The hours I spent trying to eek out another hundredth of a second off the best lap time were insane. Whole days were lost to that game.

21 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

My top 10

1. Streets of Rage II

2. Sonic the Hedgehog II

3. Gouls ‘n Ghosts

4. Micro Machines

5. Golden Axe

6. Kid Chameleon 

7. The Revenge of Shinobi

8. NBA Jam

9. EA Hockey

10. Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion

I think I have a Megadrive emulator on PlayStation Vita. I might have to fire a few of these bad boys up. 

6 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Best Sega game of all time, this.

Never felt quite the same on consoles.

E202A3B7-C66C-40C6-B761-8B432D083622.png

Outrun was fantastic, I'm staggered that it's never been remade. Next gen Outrun would be out of the stratosphere.