You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

SEGA vs Nintendo

Bjornebye

SEGA vs Nintendo   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who had the better consoles in the 90's ?

I know we have a tech nerdy forum but no cunt goes on there and I want a proper poll. 

Who has the better consoles in the 90's? I'm sure we all had one (Well maybe not Tokyo and Stringvest). 

(I may have run this poll before.......... I'm bored and curious anyway) 

tumblr_ma1uufIl9g1r0ralmo1_r1_500.gif

EYqKzy.gif

Sega for me. Got a Gameboy for christmas maybe 92 or 93. i was addicted to it. Then had a Sega Master System, then a Megadrive and my dad went mad because I swapped it for my mates SNES desire me having completed all my SEGA games. 

SEGA edges it because Sonic is fucking superb. I do love Mario Kart though, its my all time favourite game. I just think SEGA had the edge overall. 

19 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Sega for me. Got a Gameboy for christmas maybe 92 or 93. i was addicted to it. Then had a Sega Master System, then a Megadrive and my dad went mad because I swapped it for my mates SNES desire me having completed all my SEGA games. 

SEGA edges it because Sonic is fucking superb. I do love Mario Kart though, its my all time favourite game. I just think SEGA had the edge overall. 

Alex kidd was the built in game for the master system wasn't it. That was great. Weirdly my house went from mega drive to nintendo 64, then onto PlayStation. Not an ounce of loyalty, well that and my older brother was buying the consoles and i had no say in the matter.

My son is in the xbox camp and so the disloyalty continues!

Just now, niallers said:

Alex kidd was the built in game for the master system wasn't it. That was great. Weirdly my house went from mega drive to nintendo 64, then onto PlayStation. Not an ounce of loyalty, well that and my older brother was buying the consoles and i had no say in the matter.

My son is in the xbox camp and so the disloyalty continues!

I don't own a console. Actually yes I have a PS3 but its in my mates garage and I'll probably never use it again. Playstation pisses over them all to be fair. I just can't get as nostalgic about it. 

Yeah Alex Kidd was built into my master system I think. My mate used to have a Gamegear and had this boss footy game, fucked if I can remember what it was called but I used to just sit there and randomise the cup games for hours. 

I never owned a console. 

Sob story out of the way. I could never understand why the Game Boy was so popular when Sega had a full colour handheld which was basically a mini Master System.

Connoisseurs will tell you what a great machine the Dreamcast was. 

11 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I never owned a console. 

Sob story out of the way. I could never understand why the Game Boy was so popular when Sega had a full colour handheld which was basically a mini Master System.

I know what you mean about the Gameboy vs Gamegear but the Gameboy had something special about it. I preferred it. The Tetris music was fucking superb and the music at the end of Kung Fu master used to make me dream of moving to Hong Kong

19 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I never owned a console. 

It was the simplicity and playability of the games like Tetris, plus the batteries lasted long enough for you to use it as an actual portable device, the Game Gear and Lynx (which was actually the superior console, 16 bit amazingly) would last a couple of hours. The Game Gear was usually only seen at birthday parties, people would be tasked to "bring their Game Gear" but it would have to be kept plugged in, people would play on it in shifts in the kitchen in between watching Sneakers on DVD or trying to cop off with someone's sister.

I held out for the SNES while most of yhe others in school had the Mega Drive. Once you'd planted your flag though you could never have both, it was just the rules, like cheating. Sega had some boss exclusive games though like Golden Axe and Streets of Rage which you always wanted to play but couldn't admit.

The PlayStation actually started life as a Nintendo and Sony collaboration in answer to Sega and JVC. Nintendo pulled out and Sony cracked on. The PlayStation made it really easy for third party developers to make games which was how it gained its decisive advantage.

My dream life would have been working on a games mag in the 90s, they were usually based in places like Bath. Julian "jazz" Rignal was my hero. What a life it would have been. Couple of games of Desert Strike, game of darts in the office, write a couple of hundred words, off to the pub by the canal with the guys. Weekends spent wanking over Jet. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Weekends spent wanking over Jet. 

Great post as usual mate but I need to ask why the past tense in the final sentence? 

Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter is a conundrum. 

"Yeah but you can kick fuck out of a car" but then you think of Rayden and Sub-Zero, and Johnny Cage. It will always come down to the birds and Chun-Li is my all-time cartoon fantasy. Wonder what she's up to these days. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Great post as usual mate but I need to ask why the past tense in the final sentence? 

Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter is a conundrum. 

"Yeah but you can kick fuck out of a car" but then you think of Rayden and Sub-Zero, and Johnny Cage. It will always come down to the birds and Chun-Li is my all-time cartoon fantasy. Wonder what she's up to these days. 

When she did her Spinning Bird kick you could see her knickers. Simpler times indeed.

In the Sega corner... 

Sega Master System 

Sega Megadrive 

Sega Saturn

Sega Saturn 32x

Sega Dreamcast

Sega Gamegear

Sega arcade games

Sonic the hedhehog

In the Nintendo corner

Nintendo Entertainment System 

Super Nintendo Entertainment System 

Nintendo Gamecube

Nintendo 64

Nintendo DS

Nintendo Gameboy

Mario, Zelda and friends

For taking the industry forward, Sega. They pioneered with so many of their systems but mostly they were simply ahead of their time. 32x, Dreamcast and Gamegear were ahead of the curve but were considered failures because of the lack of content. They stopped producing hardware which was detrimental to the industry at the time (I believe they were involved in the early stages of PlayStation) but they just weren't selling because they didn’t have the content to back it. 

For games, Nintendo by a country mile. Their hardware was mostly inferior but the games on their systems were so playable, addictive and appealing. Hard to believe Nintendo started out as a card making company but they heart was always in selling games and that's why they win in this regard. 

If I had to choose an overall winner, it would be Nintendo because they know about games, they have survived massive blips and come out stronger and still compete with the current heavyweights on their own terms. 

6 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Nintendo just because of Mario Kart which in my opinion is the best console game ever.

Sega have the best collection of games though.

Nearly swung it for me. It really is the best game ever. 

Nintendo. 

My older brother worked and bought himself a mega drive. Sensible soccer was unbelievable. The early Fifa's were great too. European club soccer. Using the three shredded wheat cheat and scoring from the half way line. 

I got both the Nintendo and the Snes for Christmas though, which is why they win. Can't look beyond those early Mario memories, or everyone playing duck hunt Christmas morning. 

My best Christmas memory is getting a SNES. There was a plastic stand you could buy that was designed to hold it. Was shaped like a SNES, had a picture of a SNES on the box, the lot. My mum made me unwrap that first and pretended to be dead shocked when it was a stand and not a SNES. I can still remember how upset she looked and how bad I felt for her. Kept it up for a few hours and then gave me the actual SNES to go with it. Was boss. 

A few years later she bought the board game atmosphere. I unwrapped it and found a VHS tape. She hadn't bought the board game to go with it. Kept thinking she was hiding the board game and was going to pass me it any minute. This time she had just fucked up. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, John102 said:

Nintendo. 

My older brother worked and bought himself a mega drive. Sensible soccer was unbelievable. The early Fifa's were great too. European club soccer. Using the three shredded wheat cheat and scoring from the half way line. 

I got both the Nintendo and the Snes for Christmas though, which is why they win. Can't look beyond those early Mario memories, or everyone playing duck hunt Christmas morning. 

My best Christmas memory is getting a SNES. There was a plastic stand you could buy that was designed to hold it. Was shaped like a SNES, had a picture of a SNES on the box, the lot. My mum made me unwrap that first and pretended to be dead shocked when it was a stand and not a SNES. I can still remember how upset she looked and how bad I felt for her. Kept it up for a few hours and then gave me the actual SNES to go with it. Was boss. 

A few years later she bought the board game atmosphere. I unwrapped it and found a VHS tape. She hadn't bought the board game to go with it. Kept thinking she was hiding the board game and was going to pass me it any minute. This time she had just fucked up. 

Did you put the tape in????? No wonder she looked sheepish.