You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal 2 Liverpool 1 (Jul 15 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

You know that story about the tortoise and the hare? Well this was it played out in the form of a football match. Literally the only way Arsenal could win this game is if we took them too lightly and allowed it to happen, and sure enough we did.

They couldn’t beat us any other way. That’s just a stone cold fact. The gulf between us and Arsenal is the biggest it’s been in my lifetime. This is arguably the best side we’ve ever had and it’s without the question the worst Arsenal side I've seen. 

I’m actually offended that we lost to them. I’m steaming about it in fact. It’s partly about the points record, but it’s mostly that we lost to an Arsenal side that I couldn’t possibly have a lower opinion of. They’re a fucking disgrace. A cowardly, spineless, and yet somehow irrationally deluded and smug, disgrace. 

If there’s one team I can’t stand losing to it’s this Arsenal side because I’ve got less respect for them than I have any other side in the league. Arsenal have had some great sides in the past and as a club I've always respected them. Now though I actually get wound up by how shit and gutless they are. I don't even take pleasure from them losing these days, I just get irrationally pissed off by what they've become.

They’re pathetic, weak and spineless and we should never be losing to them in a million years. Some of our players clearly felt the same way. How else can you explain Virgil and Alisson taking the liberties they did? Others did too only they weren’t punished as severely. Like I said, classic tale of “the Tortoise and the Hare”.

Arsenal only got near our goal three times all night, and two of those only happened because we passed the ball straight to them in our own box. They created next to nothing of their own and were so inferior it was embarrassing. Not as embarrassing as actually losing to these wastrels though. 

Look, I know it doesn’t matter and that next week when Hendo is lifting the trophy this result will be an irrelevant footnote on a glorious season. I get it, and if this game doesn’t bother you that’s sound. I respect your right to not give a shit and I hope you respect mine to be annoyed as fuck about it. Fucking Arsenal? Jesus Christ lads.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Spot on. I knew how you felt last night. I'm calm about it now, and never normally get wound up when we've struggled, but the complacency that has crept in since the restart became too much when it was clear VVD, who should know better, was every bit as complacent as others have been.

We've always had a blase attitude towards goalscoring chances - missed? Never mind, another chance will be along in a minute. But last night was another level and that's the most annoyed I've ever been with this team. In fact, it's probably the first time I've been properly annoyed with them.

I'm more relaxed about it today, but I just feel they let themselves down last night more than they let the fans down.

Anyway, onwards to Chelsea.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely abysmal. You already know my feelings on this Davey. 

Totally gutted by this result. And you want to know when last it felt like this? THAT end of season Stoke game.

And although VVD was complacent, he was also fouled. That foul meant his pass was underhit but looked complacent. He shouldn't have put himself in that position (complacency) but the ref or VAR should have picked it up and awarded the free kick. Instead they scored. 

How on earth anyone can think AOC, Keita,  Gomez ("Oooh Virge, can I pass it to you please Virge? Virge?) or Origi are the answer to the problems that have become evident over the past 12 or so games, I have no idea. Least of all Jurgen. So more than some of this is on him. 

Baldiola and gollum seem to be able to push their teams on. Especially gollum with the shower he has to work with. Why can't Jurgen? 

A very very long way from good. Arsenal. Burnley. 

Burnley. Arsenal. Face-palm. 

Knowing how you feel about the arse, opening the match report reminded me of watching my mum opening my school report, you just knew it would be a look and sound of disappointment and you didn't let me down.

Totally agree on Mo and Bobby, I don't know how it changes so much. From scoring for fun but with a dodgy goalie/defence, sort that side and we don't look like we can score for fun nomore.

Any defeat hurts but this more so as the arse weren't even interested.

What makes it worse was arsenal weren’t even arsed about winning it with the side they picked.

i am looking forward to us playing them next season though in a game that matters - Klopp won’t forget.

I remember about a year after we lost to palace Klopp came out in a press conference mentioning how much it still annoyed him. Hopefully the same will happen with arsenal 

• Upvote 2

Easily the worst side we've faced all season but we managed to shoot ourselves in the foot twice. They had nothing to offer except ( for them ) an unusually dogged defence. I expect they'll concede a hatful at the weekend. 

The pitch looked a bit dry and the ball seemed to be holding up affecting the passing by both sides. Did they deliberately not water it to try and drag us down to their level? If so, how the mighty have fallen! Can you imagine Wenger ever doing that? 

They'll lose by at least 3 at weekend to the cheats.

Simply because they are shite and Man City are very good, but also because they are so easy to play against in terms of the space they leave.

Problem for us was we were well on way to giving them a hiding and i think we would have done but for gifting them two goals, which allowed them to just sit in their own half for 45 mins with everybody behind the ball...something they would not have done had we not given them those gifts, we'd have hammered them if they had to play in that 2nd half....but we gave them those gifts and they gladly took the opportunity to sit on them.

Their keeper, their fucking keeper touched the ball more times than any of their players with 50 odd touches.....to put that into perspective Andy Robbo had nearly 3 times as many touches.

Criminal result...albeit a meaningless battle in a War already won, still fucking irritating.

18 hours ago, rb14 said:

Absolutely abysmal. You already know my feelings on this Davey. 

Totally gutted by this result. And you want to know when last it felt like this? THAT end of season Stoke game.

And although VVD was complacent, he was also fouled. That foul meant his pass was underhit but looked complacent. He shouldn't have put himself in that position (complacency) but the ref or VAR should have picked it up and awarded the free kick. Instead they scored. 

How on earth anyone can think AOC, Keita,  Gomez ("Oooh Virge, can I pass it to you please Virge? Virge?) or Origi are the answer to the problems that have become evident over the past 12 or so games, I have no idea. Least of all Jurgen. So more than some of this is on him. 

Baldiola and gollum seem to be able to push their teams on. Especially gollum with the shower he has to work with. Why can't Jurgen? 

A very very long way from good. Arsenal. Burnley. 

Burnley. Arsenal. Face-palm. 

I know you have a keen sense of humour rb , please god let this be part of it.

I think the complacency is in part due to playing behind closed doors. Once the league was won, fans in the ground, for or against, would have provided the little extra motivation needed to get to the 100+ points. Can't say I'm that arsed about the points record though, the league was the be all and end all. Nothing else mattered.

Hahaha I've put it behind me now but for 24 hours or so I was well more angry than I had a right to be.

I'm struggling to think of a result I'm more embarrassed about since Souness kept losing to lower league teams in the cups.

I completely stand by what I said in the report about it being more acceptable to lose to anyone else in the league, including Norwich.

To me the most shameful thing a top side can do is lose to this current Arsenal team.

It's like being beaten up by the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz.

On top of it all they started with their only good player on the bench, I could not believe what I was seeing on Wednesday.

Salah and a few others need to learn that its allowed to just poke it in with the toe.

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic