You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Was last season actually better than this one?

Code

18/19 or 19/20 season, which one was the best season?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which season was the better

If you asked me which I'd rather win next season, the CL or the PL, it's the CL.

But that's only because we won the league this year. Now that we've got that done, it's like a huge monkey off our backs. I understand what people are saying about last year feeling like triumph, this year feeling like relief, but relief can feel better than triumph in the right context.

• Upvote 1

I think this season was better overall. Might've played a bit more attractive last season but we completely dominated the league this season from start to finish. Honestly I don't think even think this would be a question had Covid not caused the league to be postponed for so long. For me the general lack of focus after winning the league (whilst understandable to a certain extent), is also largely do to the pandemic. Sure we had our first loss before the shutdown, and went out the CL the day before they postponed that, but overall I think they'd have just carried the momentum that got us there through the rest of the league had this not happened. I have to imagine a lot of the boys have one eye on next season, especially since from what I understand the Premier league intends to start up in August still. At most they'll be getting 6 weeks off I'd imagine and even if that is the case only 2 of those at the most will be genuinely off weeks.

Other than the Barcelona match at Anfield and us winning the final (obviously). I did enjoy our run to Kiev more than our run to Madrid. I still think we'd have won that, and possibly have celebrated 7 last year instead of 6, had Salah not got done by the cunt Ramos, and yes that's even with Karius shitting the bed. I suppose had we won though, we probably wouldn't have bought Alisson.

Football hasn’t been great to watch this year compared to the last 2 seasons but at least we’ve got that monkey off our backs. In record time too. 

Unpopular opinion: Winning the CL still means more to me tho 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Football hasn’t been great to watch this year compared to the last 2 seasons but at least we’ve got that monkey off our backs. In record time too. 

Unpopular opinion: Winning the CL still means more to me tho 

I feel the same.

On 14/07/2020 at 17:01, Section_31 said:

nobody remembers what Buzz Aldrin said when he set foot on the moon.

I might be wrong but I seem to recall he said...

"I'd like to take this opportunity to ask every person listening in, whoever and wherever they may be, to pause for a moment and contemplate the events of the past few hours, and to give thanks in his or her own way."

But my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

There is also an allegation that he said to NASA that there were two large objects watching them as they landed, but that was removed from the broadcast.

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

Is there a single club other than us in say the top six of Europe's main leagues that would rather win their League then the CL do you good people reckon ?

I don't know. Are you going to tell us the answer?

17 minutes ago, Code said:

Ive changed my mind after last night. 

We have lost three times in the league this season, last season we only lost one, away to City.

Last season was a better season overall than this one.

Cant believe we lost the title last night. 

The way it’s fizzled out since the restart and securing the title has taken the sheen off what was otherwise an unprecedentedly good league season. 

Barring Adrian throwing it away in the second leg, we’d also still be in with a bloody good shot of retaining the champions league, too, and if that were the case I doubt we’d have dropped off like we have after getting over the line.

i posted after the arsenal game that given the combination of the league being over for practically 4 months (including the lockdown, and maybe realistically longer) before we actually won it, and coming on the back of 3 mentally tough, long, hard seasons including successes and close failures, it’s more understandable for us to have gone off the boil than it would be anyone else, but don’t let that take away from what this season has been.

There’s an argument we played better last season, but that’s not the question. This season, which included becoming world club champions for the first time ever, and league Champions for the first time in 30 years, doing so in record time, and on track to smash other records had we not let them slip with uncharacteristic lapses and way-below-par performances from a number of players, is without a shadow of a doubt a better season.

In fact, in my match going lifetime, it’s the best one ever.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Code said:

Ive changed my mind after last night. 

We have lost three times in the league this season, last season we only lost one, away to City.

Last season was a better season overall than this one.

Last season wasn’t interrupted for three months with the final 7 games being utterly meaningless. 

last nights defeat, and the draw to Burnley, and the defeat to city, have no bearing for me on whether this season was better than last.

The reason we got thumped by city, and the reason two of our most consistent and reliable players caused us to lose a comfortable lead yesterday, is precisely because this season was already better than last season with almost 20% of our games still to play.

if city were on our tails the way we were on theirs last year, do you think we lose 4-0 at their place? Do you think we lose to arsenal last night? No chance.

• Upvote 2