You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Was last season actually better than this one?

Code

18/19 or 19/20 season, which one was the best season?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which season was the better

I’ve been thinking about something, but I doubt its possible to get fair and reasoned answers because of our 30 year long wait for the title. 

But was last season actually better than this season?

Champions League winners and runner up in the league with a record 97 points as the best runner ups ever?

Football wise I thought the year we got beaten by Madrid in Kiev 17/18, was the best I have seen. 

But you can’t carry on risking what happened at the end of some games like Roma at home, City at home. As a team we are now miles better, and I have loads more confidence in them. Some of that football though! 

I enjoyed this season more than last, cos ya know, the league.

Guest Alex_K

Last was better because of the physicality of actually being in Madrid. This year has the title but it has been dimmed by lack of parade, being at the ground etc.

Which season did we play better in? Debatable really. We really should still be in the Champions League now - its a travesty we're not.

Last season I was convinced that just missing out would have a detrimental effect on some of the players, in that city were just too strong despite it being our record points season (league, ridiculous FA Cup final score, media wanking themselves into a frenzy over City....etc)

The fact that we’ve (again) come back and have blown the league away again but alone this time makes it this season, for me.

Absolutely a fantastic choice to have to make though. Two great seasons to choose from each for their own reasons and trophies. 

Nah, it had its obvious highlights but nobody remembers what Buzz Aldrin said when he set foot on the moon.

We were pipped by those cunts and had to see all their classless antics singing songs about us and one of our own who'd been hurt.

This season we utterly fucking broke them, clubber langed the twats straight from the first bell, plaudits left and right from every fair minded and right thinking pundit, journo and observer.

We didn't just win the league, we obliterated it. No room for debate, no questions asked, teams and managers stood in awe as we pulled them limb from limb.

We won tbe World club championship, with the whole of Central and South America all huddled around their TV sets (they love the competition) and they got to see us for the absolute class outfit we are. Global reputation well and truly restored.

Would have been nice to have a parade but fuck it, the other way to look at it as that not even a global pandemic could stop the reds. 

• Upvote 2

Weirdly, I actually enjoyed the 17/18 season more than the last two. Obviously there wasn't the payoff at the end, but there was something really special about witnessing the unexpected transition from top 4 contenders to genuine European heavyweights. Add in the meteoric rise of Salah, capture of Van Dijk, and balls out attacking football and it just made for one of the funnest seasons in recent memory.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Nah, it had its obvious highlights but nobody remembers what Buzz Aldrin said when he set foot on the moon.

We were pipped by those cunts and had to see all their classless antics singing songs about us and one of our own who'd been hurt.

This season we utterly fucking broke them, clubber langed the twats straight from the first bell, plaudits left and right from every fair minded and right thinking pundit, journo and observer.

We didn't just win the league, we obliterated it. No room for debate, no questions asked, teams and managers stood in awe as we pulled them limb from limb.

We won tbe World club championship, with the whole of Central and South America all huddled around their TV sets (they love the competition) and they got to see us for the absolute class outfit we are. Global reputation well and truly restored.

Would have been nice to have a parade but fuck it, the other way to look at it as that not even a global pandemic could stop the reds. 

"What Motel are you staying in again Neil?" 

Superb post by the way. 

I suspect the voting will be largely separated by locality. 

Last season was certainly more intense. Going all the way in the CL and only missing out on winning the league by a gnat's chuff following a record points haul was exceptional. This year, the fact that we surged ahead in the league and won it ridiculously early, coupled with an early exit from the CL, has meant this season hasn't had last season's intensity. The lockdown eased much of the footballing tension, and clinching the title just a couple of games after returning has taken all the pressure off. These two years have certainly been the most incredible and rewarding in all my time following the club. That it has been achieved with basically the same squad only highlights what an outstanding job they've done.

37 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Can't better this for a reply. 

Fair question,

For me last season was more exciting and not disrupted by the pandemic which was ,and is, a lot more important than football. Ultimately winning the league felt flat after the break because it was a foregone conclusion when we resumed and the empty grounds and muted celebrations took the edge off it. Last season the run in was nail biting and down to the wire and even though we missed out I couldn't have been prouder of the way we played. Winning the CL was the perfect antidote and seeing the crowds out for the welcome home party in the City just brought back so many memories and showed what an institution this club is.  I fear next season is going to badly disrupted by Covid so who knows what that will bring. Frankly watching the matches these last few weeks with fake crowd noise and all the other shit going down in the world worrying the hell out of me it just hasn't grabbed my interest much.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

30 year wait ended.

I wouldn't give a toss if we had ended it with 80 pts...8 or 9 losses and playing largely shite.

Getting that monkey off our back is all that matters and for that reason this season can't be topped.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Code said:

The 30 years wait seals it for me, but from an objective view last season was better.

Alisson instead of Adrian against Chelsea and Atletico could have made all the difference though. Small margins.

Really the last 24 months have been ridiculously good. CL final, CL win, League win.

We will have compiled a record total over the last two seasons.

May go with last year though as Barca will go down in history. This season will too but for the wrong reasons.

Winning the league although after the null and voiders it felt more relief to get it done than joy. Still its going to be a life long happiness as there were points I though we'd never achieve it. Strangely I feel we were a better football side last year, more frightening to opponents. We have won the league by a huge margin but the flaws seem to just show a bit more. We need signings a new forward. Probably a creative midfielder.

Guest Pistonbroke

This should be a difficult decision yet it isn't. Last season we played better football at times and landed big ears for the 6th time, also coming as close as possible to topping the oil cheats. However, for those fans who supported the club throughout the barren years in the league this season is by far the better one imo. We achieved something against the odds and with a pandemic thrown into the mix. We had that period of football before Xmas that could and would have killed many a club, yet we brought back the Club World Cup and then went on to bum Leicester and send out a message of intent to those trying to chase us down. We've just won the title breaking many records along the way, something which will be etched into the clubs history. I'm pretty much an optimist when it comes to football, yet even I was wondering if we'd ever win the title in my lifetime with the obscene amount of money flowing through certain clubs. This bunch of players and the manager have been immense and deserve all the plaudits they are getting. 

Hopefully we'll be holding a similar Poll at the end of next season. 

There were probably 15 games this season where, at the final whistle, it felt like Liverpool had won the league. And that doesn't include games where we got to watch City fall apart like a digestive in a cup of tea.

As an aside, we may not have had an Aguer-oooooh moment this season, but we had a couple of them last season. All bases have been covered in the last two seasons and I couldn't be happier. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The CL is better than the PL for my money,but it was the 30 year cappucino molnkey off our backs which made all the difference between this season and last.

It is a lot more difficult to win the CL than the league. No team in history have more CL wins than league titles for a reason.

But the Club World Cup and the 30 years makes me go for this season.