You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Huawei

Anubis

A question for our IT experts. Is this a genuine concern about Chinese spying, or have the US told us that if we don’t back this little trade war they’ve got going with China, we won’t even get the chlorinated chicken?

28 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Is this a genuine concern about Chinese spying

Yeah. It's not just about spying, it's about what they have to do with data and information if the Chinese government want it. Apple for example will - and repeatedly do - tell the government to fuck off if they want data, especially when it comes to encryption. Hauwei don't seem to have the same luxury. Now, we've already said they can't be involved in any of the core technology, nor work near any military sites. That would leave something like 30-40% of the project open to them. I say... why bother. 

34 minutes ago, skend04 said:

No idea.

Sent from my Huawei P30 Pro.

Anyone who says no idea has an idea.

Who made up the word idea? Strange word.

Guest Pistonbroke
35 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Little from Column A, little from Column B

Long history of the big Tech companies, mainly American, putting in backdoors at the behest of the Government. No reason to think the Chinese would be different 

Yeah, they are all bad as each other. If you want to protect your Data then you'd have to become a hermit and totally bin off anything digital. You can't trust any of them. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Anyone who says no idea has an idea.

Who made up the word idea? Strange word.

I have no idea. 

42 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Little from Column A, little from Column B

Long history of the big Tech companies, mainly American, putting in backdoors at the behest of the Government. No reason to think the Chinese would be different 

Cisco are cunts for letting back doors into their software for the American regime. 

We are already behind a lot nations with the roll out of tech. This is all to appease Trump and get a shite trade deal, and is just going to put us even further behind.

I'm not up on the history of loads of nations but is there another one that has self-regressed at the pace we have? We're an embarrassment, it usually takes a war to turn a country into a third world nation. We're happily doing it to ourselves via the ballot box.

This might all be hyperbole but it doesn't feel like it at the minute.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

They bid to provide part of the infrastructure for the smart meter rollout but were deemed too much of a risk.  China potentially having the ability to turn everyone’s gas and electricity off was a no no. Only I should have that power.  

Russia are Putin in a bid too.

18 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

They bid to provide part of the infrastructure for the smart meter rollout but were deemed too much of a risk.  China potentially having the ability to turn everyone’s gas and electricity off was a no no. Only I should have that power.  

I think you mean me there.  God knows I'm doing me best.

• Upvote 1

I work for a telecoms provider and we used their kit in some of our services

1. It performed better than Cisco and was easier to configure

2. It was much much much more cost effective than buying Cisco

2. There was no obvious signs of anything that could be deemed as malicious

I think it's a proxy war for control over mission critical infrastructure between Chinese equipment and American. Might be being slightly ignorant but at worst what they probably (and I have no evidence to back this up) have in their is no more or no less than what Google or Apple are capturing in their devices. 

• Upvote 1