You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Burnley 1 (Jul 11 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

So much hard work and so many great performances had gone into that 100% home record so for it to end like this leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. We should have won this game by a landslide.

The performance was good - brilliant in spells - but the finishing was shite and that - coupled with some terrible officiating - is why we aren’t going to end the season with a perfect home record (and the points record might now be beyond us too). 

In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter. We’ve ended the 30 year wait for the title and we’ve done it in spectacular fashion. I’m not pointing fingers at anyone or reading too much into us drawing a football match you’d expect to win, I’m just disappointed at not winning the game. I’ve got a proper cob on over it actually.

Not with the team or any individuals, far from it. I’m just upset we didn’t win. I think the best way to describe it is that I’m not pissed off with the players, I’m pissed off for them. Not as pissed off as they are though. There’s no easing off from these boys at all, they’re even more desperate to keep winning than some fans are. 

I loved seeing Trent and Robbo fuming at that incompetent ref at full time. They won the title weeks ago but they’re absolutely seething at the officials because we dropped two points. It’s great. It just made me feel even more proud of them. I see how much it hurt them dropping two points and it just gives me confidence that they’ll be going all out to win the last three games.

I’ve got mates who are just not arsed about anything that has happened since we won the title. They’re not bothered about records or anything like that, and that’s fine. Each to their own. I am bothered though. I want every record that’s out there because this team deserves them.

I wanted them to win all 19 home games and I honestly thought they would. For it to end like this doesn’t sit well with me as it felt like daylight robbery. Partly by Burnley, but mostly by the officials.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

We’ll get nine points from the last three games. I don’t care to be honest, but I can’t stand any more my son sorrow and tears when we don’t win. The greedy bastard. 

I’ve always thought that was the trickiest game, and Salah was abysma with his finishing. 

What a goal that would have been should he had buried it at the last minute ..... 

• Upvote 1

I think what does my head in about the constant shit decisions that we seem to get all the time is the lack of coverage by the commentators, or them laughing about it and making some fucking inane comment about robust (tee hee) defending. Tell it how it is and at least try to earn your wage, would make a nice change from the usual drivel.

• Upvote 1

VAR is shite. It's just created new problems without barely solving any of the old ones. 

I know Allison likes to stand his ground (as he should) but I wouldn't be annoyed if he went to ground holding his face rolling round the pitch. I wouldn't blame him at all. 

• Upvote 1

Just seen that penalty call again. From his position, there’s no way the ref can see if the Burnley lad gets the ball. If the ref gives the penalty, no way does it get overturned by VAR. And it should definitely be a penalty because even though the defender looks to get studs on the ball, it’s still in Robbo’s reach and he’s clear round the back...... except the defender then clears him out. That’s the 4th(I would argue 5th) nailed on penalty we’ve been denied in the last 3 home games. 

• Upvote 1

The saying only death and taxes are the only certainties in life is wrong or at the very least, incomplete. Another certainty is long runs come to an end.

I wouldnt say Im not bothered since we won the title but, there's a sense of serenity about it all. After the derby bore, I said Id be happy if we just drew the next 5 games to win the title. At the same time, I always want the boys to win and records are nice to have. But Im not getting out of my tree about this result for a couple of reasons.

First, losing our first game as Champions by 4-0 to city really pissed me off and second, I dont see a draw as being a bigger downer. Third, their keeper pulled off 2 worldie saves to deny us. Fourth, I really dont think the players could have given more effort even if Anfield was full of 52,000 fans.

We missed a number of other chances, Bobby was desparately unlucky to see his shot hit the post and how the fuck the ref and VAR didnt give that pen for the foul on Robbo after the fernandes farce and another similarly soft decision is, beyond credulity. Or may be not because the outcry over those decisions always seems to affect refs in the next set of games. 'The fuck Im giving anything after that shit show' seems to be the M.O. of many official after they've seen their colleagues ripped a new over a poor decision.

But you're always liable to get caught with a 1 goal lead. A mistake by a player or official, as in this case when neither Mo nor Sadio were offside, can always bite you in the nuts. It's like the Leicester game last season when a clear hack on Naby in virtually the same place, was waved away as no pen. Fuck that shit.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic