You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jurgen Klopp gives clear indication on when he will leave Liverpool

TLW

Jurgen Klopp has given a clear indication that he will depart the Reds at the end of his current contract.

On his appointment, Klopp signed a six year deal which was due to expire in 2022.

There was much conjecture on what the German would do after that point as throughout his managerial career he has taken a  sabbatical to recharge the batteries before embarking on his next challenge.

But last December he delighted every Liverpool fan throughout the world when he extended his deal to 2024.

Speaking at the time, Klopp said:

“For me personally this is a statement of intent, one which is built on my knowledge of what we as a partnership have achieved so far and what is still there for us to achieve.

“This club is in such a good place, I couldn’t contemplate leaving.”

Jurgen.Klopp1_.jpg

The Mirror (via German publication SWR Sport) reports that Klopp has stated when that time will be:

“ Four (more) years in Liverpool.

After that, the Premier and Champions League winning manager says he may “ do nothing for a year" before weighing up his next move.

“In five years the world can look very different again."

But one thing is certain as that is where he will live in his retirement.

“Definitely in Germany after my career. Most likely to Mainz."

Four years is a fair way down the track and the Liverpool squad as a whole will look a fair bit different to what it does now.

While there are a number of variables at play, what is certain is that the manager will aim to leave the squad in the best possible shape he can.

View full article

6 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

So is that quote from the time he signed the contract? It reads as though it is. 

Remember when every year was Ferguson’s last? 

All I hope for Klopp in the future is that he leaves is with his mental and physical health intact. 

Who do you think he manages,Everton?

36 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

So is that quote from the time he signed the contract? It reads as though it is. 

Remember when every year was Ferguson’s last? 

All I hope for Klopp in the future is that he leaves is with his mental and physical health intact. 

Seems pretty clear that what Klopp signing a contract at any club means to him is just a commitment not to leave before that date unless he’s sacked. Not definitely having a pre-conceived idea to leave at its end. Presume in the year or two leading up to it he’s weighing everything up and then either renews or leaves when it expires. Who knows what will happen in 4 years. Especially if we’re still operating at similar levels to now.

• Upvote 1

Im pretty sure Jurgen will leave when he's clear he's achieved all he wanted or, can take the club no further. I'll be gutted when he leaves not just because he'd be leaving but I suspect we'd see a lot of his back room staff, who are important to the whole running of the team, leave as well.

Until he does leave, Im going to enjoy the ride.

9 hours ago, TLW said:

Jurgen.Klopp1_.jpg

The Mirror (via German publication SWR Sport) reports that Klopp has stated when that time will be:

“ Four (more) years in Liverpool.

After that, the Premier and Champions League winning manager says he may “ do nothing for a year" before weighing up his next move.

“In five years the world can look very different again."

This is an interesting last sentence...

https://www.swr.de/sport/fussball/juergen-klopp-hat-sich-in-liverpool-unsterblich-gemacht-100.html

Jürgen Klopp has led Liverpool to the first championship in 30 years. The successful coach speaks exclusively at SWR Sport about a crazy party, his men's flat share and lessons from the corona crisis.

Relaxed. More relaxed. Jürgen Klopp. The master coach of Liverpool FC sits completely relaxed in his apartment during an interview with SWR Sport and chats with pleasure over the past two weeks. Since June 25, one thing is certain: Klopp has led his team to the first championship title in 30 years. But this feeling has by no means settled. "It hasn't really happened yet," he admits. In the 4-0 defeat at Manchester City, his team got a "real crack" and they have played every three days since then. It will probably take some time before this feeling of happiness has settled. But the time window is not important because the title is "for eternity. It is much better than not being a master."

Liverpool coach Jürgen Klopp in an exclusive interview with SWR Sport

Liverpool FC wants to celebrate in a "crazy way"

In any case, one is planning to let it rip again with the fans in the coming weeks or months. At the moment this is not possible due to the corona measures. "The moment we can do that again, we want to celebrate the title. Even if that is a little strange, if you celebrate another title several months later. But Liverpool is an exceptional club, we will surely get something done "We're going to try to celebrate the title in a crazy way. We want to celebrate life. People can now plan longer so that they can be there. Maybe we can make something out of it that hasn't existed before."

Klopp is certain that despite the title already won in the three remaining Premier League games against Tottenham, Chelsea and Newcastle, his players will not be burned out. "The boys are always on fire. They went right in previous games too. We have been relatively successful for two and a half years because the boys are exceptional."

Klopp plans to return to Mainz

At some point he will surely return to Germany, he reveals. "Definitely to live, after my career. Most likely even to Mainz", where he was successful from 1990 to 2008 first as a player and then as a coach. He also has a clear professional plan: "Four years in Liverpool." After that, after nine years on Anfield Road, he wanted to "do nothing for a year". He may then have the first opportunity to do "what I want, what I 've Bock. Perhaps a club, a team, or nothing." He adds smugly: "But in five years the world can look very different again."

Corona crisis needs to be analyzed

Jürgen Klopp is one who looks beyond the limitation of a training place. In addition to the intensive support of his team, the soccer teacher is busy dealing with the corona virus in these weeks. In England the pubs are open again, you can go shopping again. "The development of the numbers is positive, but people are still dying. The delay at the beginning after the correct measures were taken did not pay off." Klopp is careful not to play the know-it-all. "It's easy to criticize if you're not responsible. You have to wait and see."

It would be important if one "did an analysis in the future of what would have been correct and how can we handle it in a comparable situation in the future." It seems that Germany has solved the Corona crisis relatively well. "But if I follow the German media, not everyone will be happy with the way things are going. Above all, nobody can be happy with the effects on the future, for example in terms of jobs."

Liverpool coach expresses a wish to deal with pandemics like Covid-19 in the future. "We should make sure that we are better prepared as a society - and I mean global society." The virus would be with us for quite a while until an antidote or vaccine was finally found. "It would be worth calling a world holiday where everyone remembers what it was like in 2020."

Premiere: living in a men's flat share

The 53-year-old currently lives in Liverpool in his apartment with Matt McCann, the media director of Liverpool FC. His wife Ulla is in Germany. An unusual experience for Klopp, who grew up in Glatten in the Black Forest. "If you come from the Black Forest, you don't live in a shared apartment, but in an orderly relationship," he says with a laugh. The two men had a clear division of tasks: Klopp was responsible for the laundry, McCann for the rinsing.

What is he particularly looking forward to now? First on the remaining three games in the Premier League and then on a side trip to Germany. "I'm most looking forward to going back to the restaurant and enjoying the new normal in Germany."