Quantcast
Arsenal (A) Premier League - 15/7/20 - 20:15 - Page 20 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Arsenal (A) Premier League - 15/7/20 - 20:15

Very frustrating, but dont think we were as bad as being suggested,  at one point we had 16 shots to their 2 yet they were 2-1 up ( Felt like Kenny's last season when we hit the bar and post a million times ) . At the risk of repeating everybody else we obviously need freshening up in the market and need to work on finishing to give us the odd game without blood pressure problems , but I have every faith in Klopp and the players to make us proud again next season.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, John102 said:

Maybe i remember it incorrectly, as a few people have taken issue with it.

I remember us creating lots of chances, getting into a winning position and then blowing it after a terrible mistake.

We were wasteful yes, but clearly the better side.

Anyway, thats a thing of the past now. Just seems odd to use it as a stick to beat this side with.

I'm not really bothered about the results now we're champions, but I am a bit worried about our form. We've been poor for some time, going back to scraping past Norwich in February. We seem wide open down the centre, yet can't put away our chances up front. I think the players look mentally spent after three hard seasons. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Minamino was indeed boss at Salzburg but the Austrian league is not as physical and tbh we mainly just saw him in the CL against us and we aren't that physical ourselves. He started off well tonight when he came on but was easily eased out of the game and started looking for fouls rather than asserting himself on the game. 

Maybe he should have looked harder - especially when he stayed on his feet in the box. 

• Upvote 1

May have been mentioned but the frequency of these games is an absolute liver shot for us. We all know the failings of the squad at large; we’ve got 11 great players and a couple more decent ones so trotting those 11 out again and again on 3 days notice is just going to ruin them. Probably goes a long way to explaining the loss of form.

Just now, johnsusername said:

I'm not really bothered about the results now we're champions, but I am a bit worried about our form. We've been poor for some time, going back to scraping past Norwich in February. We seem wide open down the centre, yet can't put away our chances up front. I think the players look mentally spent after three hard seasons.

That’s the rub. Not only mentally tired after 3 hard seasons, but with the opportunity to switch off because their ambitions have been achieved.

winning it with 7 games to spare is only a part of it. In reality they knew they’d won it long before, and the three month break obviously had an impact on everyone, but realistically it would be impossible for it not to have an even bigger impact on those lads that have strived so hard for this success and now had it.

i am not worried at all, but still disappointed, obviously.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Maybe he should have looked harder - especially when he stayed on his feet in the box. 

I was hoping he would get a shot off or lay the ball back, for me he was looking for the contact yet failed to go to ground as the contact wasn't that OTT. No doubting the Arsenal defender had his arms on him, but you'd be seriously fucked off if that was given against us. It wasn't just that incident either, he looked lively in getting into space but was eased off the ball a few times. He could be a great sub against City etc, or in the CL, I don't think he has the physical game to adjust to life in the Pl against defences that are mainly made up of physical type players. Klopp has been wary of playing him so far and there has to be a reason behind that considering the form of others. Hope I'm wrong though. 

It would've been good to see them still have the drive to go for 100+ points but after what they've managed to do over the last year or so it's not something I could seriously complain about. The form is concerning though agreed and I hope they don't start having their confidence affected which leads into next season causing problems from the off.

I can't imagine what it must be like to do what they've done but after winning so much and being at the top like they currently are I hope they stay focused and can switch to being good at consistently winning trophies instead of getting them for the first time. They don't seem like a squad of players that would get full of themselves though and allow all of this to go to their heads so I'm sure they'll be ready again at the start of next season. And if they're not some screaming from Klopp should sort them out a bit to get them going again.

Disappointing as the result is, I think some are overreacting saying they're worried about form for next season. Many are expecting perfection it seems.

I'll say it now, dont expect the club to retain the title. We've just ended 30 years without a title and retaining it is another massive task. That doesnt mean you dont try but to me, there needs to be a management of expectations.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Worst post ever.

Of course we expect to win the title next year, we are the best team in the world.

If it doesn't happen so be it.

Yea but he likes to suck the owners off at every turn so he's getting in there early for the excuses next year.  Can't be laying it squarely down on the absolute failure to invest, AGAIN

I think what we're seeing is the consequence of a hard-pressing game, for the entire season, not only on the physique but the psyche as well. These players have been giving 110 percent every single game, the whole season, in fact ever since the advent of Klopp. I see mental exhaustion.

Of course, we've already won the title, which is bound to affect performance even if unconsciously so.

A lot of us may have been in denial but our downhill journey started pretty much after the Athletico defeat. The team has not been the same again. I hope this will make our generous owners revisit their decision not to spend this summer. We clearly need reinforcements.

Curious also how we're going to start the next season, which is not far away by the way.  

The way we've played this season we've probably been due for some stupid results like we've had recently. All season we've just been grinding and grinding, getting results without being super dominant in lots of matches. Even though there's plenty of caveats around these games with our lack of motivation, I think water is just finding its level. We were never a 100 point, we're about a 90-95 point team. 

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Disappointing as the result is, I think some are overreacting saying they're worried about form for next season. Many are expecting perfection it seems.

I'll say it now, dont expect the club to retain the title. We've just ended 30 years without a title and retaining it is another massive task. That doesnt mean you dont try but to me, there needs to be a management of expectations.

Hahahaha. 

I'm sure you'll be over the moon as long as we win the 'FSG are best owners' cup.

We look like we have lost hunger since we won the title.

I hope that this is not a sign of things to come next season and that Klopps sorts out the mentality asap

Last night demonstrates why we do need to refresh - our forwards (Mane the notable exception) have been largely rubbish for some time now. Creativity from midfield is desperately needed too.  Ox is a tidy player, but does not have the required spark.  Keita could be it, and I just wish he'd run at defences more, because he's really good at it, but he continues to frustrate.  Henderson and Wijnaldum are can't do it.  So unless we're counterattacking with pace from back to front, we look really pedestrian in the build up.  

New purchases send a message to those players who currently look complacent.  So while I don't buy the moronic 'FSG are shit' nonsense, I do think we need to present a challenge to those players who are currently phoning it in.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, John102 said:

Maybe i remember it incorrectly, as a few people have taken issue with it.

I remember us creating lots of chances, getting into a winning position and then blowing it after a terrible mistake.

We were wasteful yes, but clearly the better side.

Anyway, thats a thing of the past now. Just seems odd to use it as a stick to beat this side with.

No you are 100% right

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

Last night demonstrates why we do need to refresh - our forwards (Mane the notable exception) have been largely rubbish for some time now. Creativity from midfield is desperately needed too.  Ox is a tidy player, but does not have the required spark.  Keita could be it, and I just wish he'd run at defences more, because he's really good at it, but he continues to frustrate.  Henderson and Wijnaldum are can't do it.  So unless we're counterattacking with pace from back to front, we look really pedestrian in the build up.  

New purchases send a message to those players who currently look complacent.  So while I don't buy the moronic 'FSG are shit' nonsense, I do think we need to present a challenge to those players who are currently phoning it in.

I don't rate OC much at all myself. I think his signing was more about a young English compliment of players than anything. He is a very useful squad player,no doubt,but 35 million for a squad player is not usually FSGs method. I think Minamino and Keita could both be excellent but both need to be able to stand the physical side better.

Two issues last night:

Everything was so central in attack, so the Arsenal just packed the edge of their area and threw a blanket over it.

So that brings us onto issue two, which is having 2 full backs with amazing crossing ability, but having nobody in the box capable of regularly putting away those chances. 

Comes back to Firmino, and it comes back to Origi, who I guess was Klopp's answer to that question, but it's not a very good answer.  

The other aspect it the lack of shots from distance.  I know that shooting from distance is often the last resort.

Let's face it, overall, that was a pretty good performance at times last night.  Some crisp moving of the ball, some great passing and closing down, some neat moves almost unlocking that tight defence.

But it's all a bit Atletico isn't it.  Same problem with the low-block, and a hideous lack of composure at the back that only encourages more of their defensive shite. 

It's the sort of problem that isn't solved with a Sancho, or Mbappe.  There is no space to exploit.

We created enough chances to win comfortably once again.  If Mo could actually finish a decent percentage of chanes he gets we'd have smashed them.  Bobby useless once again doesn't help.  He's pretty much offering fuck all except harrying defenders and keeping Origi off the pitch which is a good thing.

Can remember when Fabio Capello was talking about his time at Roma and they won the Scudetto for the first time in ages in 2001. He said that the players and owners were made up that they won the league but had no desire to push on and build on it. 

The owners were just happy to have won it and just spend the next season talking about the last season. He got fed up and left for Juventus a few seasons later. 

3 hours ago, stringvest said:

Henderson is out injured, one of the reasons we lost last night and only got a draw against Burnley.

We desperatly need another option than Origi up front, totally agree.

• Upvote 1