You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (A) Premier League - 15/7/20 - 20:15

Bjornebye

Finishing with efficiency. Accuracy with power and placement. Mercury in your veins. Intelligence without the ball. Nous to control the tempo. Nerve to cope with their shithouse antics. Intestinal fortitude. Take the points. Bravery in possession. Look like you mean it. Utter contempt for the opposition. Destroy them.

I don't ask for much.

We need some fucking ruthlessness back in our game. We lost some of it before the lockdown, and we haven't managed to regain it since. You can see the players are still working hard but they lack that clinical edge. How much of it is down the league being won so early, how much of it is rustiness, how much of it is down to this particular group of players having peaked, and how much of it is down to the lack of crowds is hard to say.

• Upvote 2

I was watching an Arsenal game the other day, can't remember which one as they're all starting to blur in to one now, and the commentator said 'Mustafi has really found his feet under Arteta' just as, and it was so poetically beautiful, he triped over his own feet and fell.

That's what we're up against.

• Upvote 1

Arsenal are entirely to blame for me losing an argument with a friend.

Attended the 1992 FA Cup Semi Final v Portsmouth at Highbury. Stood towards the back of the North Bank and watched as John Barnes rescued the match, earning a replay with a goal late in extra time.

Or so I thought...

I was convinced John Barnes had scored as my 5’ 9” stature wasn’t quite enough to see what actually happened. My friend who’s 6’ 2” corrected me and told me it was, in fact, Ronnie Whelan that equalised. Oh how I poured scorn on him. Fancy mistaking Ronnie Whelan for John Barnes. It was only when we got back to the car and I heard confirmation of the Whelan equaliser that I had to eat humble pie. It was a long journey home.

Arsenal and their poorly designed terracing, not built for us shorter types (I know many other terraces, including our own Kop, were the same but that’s not the point) made me lose face with a friend. An imbalance not rectified until he ‘lost his car’ outside Anfield. He reported it stolen, only to discover a few days later, when the Police located it, that it was where he’d left it. He’d gone back to the wrong street after the game the Streetist. 

I hope we win 0-10. It won’t entirely rid me of my years of bitterness towards the Gooners but it will help. 

• Upvote 2

It’ll be tough, but only because the title is won and, for all a team's best efforts, the same level of intensity is hard to muster and opponents with little to play for are liable to raise their game in pursuit of what they see as a scalp. I recall us tonking Arsenal 4-0 days after they'd secured their first title under Wenger courtesy of a win by the same score against our blue friends.

While there’s room for improvement, it’s a bit odd seeing our fans shitting themselves over hypothetical new season form from a team that is currently 21 points behind and has lost a couple of games recently. We know Man City can turn it on and demolish any team on any given day; they’ve been doing it plenty of times between the nine (9) league defeats they’ve suffered so far this season.

I hope the Arsenal players jib off the guard of honour thing. It isn't necessary for every team to do it. City were the first to do it (sort of!) but that's because it was our first game after the title was confirmed, and City just so happened to have been the dethroned champions. Our players have a humility about them which shows as they walk through the guard of honour whereas when they walk out side by side with their opponents like usual, the players look hungry, focused and ready to be ruthless. I have a strong suspicion that Klopp would agree.

Guest Pistonbroke
5 hours ago, niallers said:

Sit back a tad, leave them have to defend a full half with side show et al and we'll kill them on the break.

Yeah, think this could be another performance like we had against Leicester as we school them on how to play football. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Due to Chelsea's FA cup semi against the Mancs we have a whole weeks rest before we meet them at Anfield. Hopefully we play our best 11 against Arsenal and stuff them.