You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (A) Premier League - 15/7/20 - 20:15

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Worst post ever.

Of course we expect to win the title next year, we are the best team in the world.

If it doesn't happen so be it.

Yea but he likes to suck the owners off at every turn so he's getting in there early for the excuses next year.  Can't be laying it squarely down on the absolute failure to invest, AGAIN

I think what we're seeing is the consequence of a hard-pressing game, for the entire season, not only on the physique but the psyche as well. These players have been giving 110 percent every single game, the whole season, in fact ever since the advent of Klopp. I see mental exhaustion.

Of course, we've already won the title, which is bound to affect performance even if unconsciously so.

A lot of us may have been in denial but our downhill journey started pretty much after the Athletico defeat. The team has not been the same again. I hope this will make our generous owners revisit their decision not to spend this summer. We clearly need reinforcements.

Curious also how we're going to start the next season, which is not far away by the way.  

The way we've played this season we've probably been due for some stupid results like we've had recently. All season we've just been grinding and grinding, getting results without being super dominant in lots of matches. Even though there's plenty of caveats around these games with our lack of motivation, I think water is just finding its level. We were never a 100 point, we're about a 90-95 point team. 

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Disappointing as the result is, I think some are overreacting saying they're worried about form for next season. Many are expecting perfection it seems.

I'll say it now, dont expect the club to retain the title. We've just ended 30 years without a title and retaining it is another massive task. That doesnt mean you dont try but to me, there needs to be a management of expectations.

Hahahaha. 

I'm sure you'll be over the moon as long as we win the 'FSG are best owners' cup.

Last night demonstrates why we do need to refresh - our forwards (Mane the notable exception) have been largely rubbish for some time now. Creativity from midfield is desperately needed too.  Ox is a tidy player, but does not have the required spark.  Keita could be it, and I just wish he'd run at defences more, because he's really good at it, but he continues to frustrate.  Henderson and Wijnaldum are can't do it.  So unless we're counterattacking with pace from back to front, we look really pedestrian in the build up.  

New purchases send a message to those players who currently look complacent.  So while I don't buy the moronic 'FSG are shit' nonsense, I do think we need to present a challenge to those players who are currently phoning it in.

• Upvote 2

Guest Alex_K
9 hours ago, John102 said:

Maybe i remember it incorrectly, as a few people have taken issue with it.

I remember us creating lots of chances, getting into a winning position and then blowing it after a terrible mistake.

We were wasteful yes, but clearly the better side.

Anyway, thats a thing of the past now. Just seems odd to use it as a stick to beat this side with.

No you are 100% right

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

Last night demonstrates why we do need to refresh - our forwards (Mane the notable exception) have been largely rubbish for some time now. Creativity from midfield is desperately needed too.  Ox is a tidy player, but does not have the required spark.  Keita could be it, and I just wish he'd run at defences more, because he's really good at it, but he continues to frustrate.  Henderson and Wijnaldum are can't do it.  So unless we're counterattacking with pace from back to front, we look really pedestrian in the build up.  

New purchases send a message to those players who currently look complacent.  So while I don't buy the moronic 'FSG are shit' nonsense, I do think we need to present a challenge to those players who are currently phoning it in.

I don't rate OC much at all myself. I think his signing was more about a young English compliment of players than anything. He is a very useful squad player,no doubt,but 35 million for a squad player is not usually FSGs method. I think Minamino and Keita could both be excellent but both need to be able to stand the physical side better.

Two issues last night:

Everything was so central in attack, so the Arsenal just packed the edge of their area and threw a blanket over it.

So that brings us onto issue two, which is having 2 full backs with amazing crossing ability, but having nobody in the box capable of regularly putting away those chances. 

Comes back to Firmino, and it comes back to Origi, who I guess was Klopp's answer to that question, but it's not a very good answer.  

The other aspect it the lack of shots from distance.  I know that shooting from distance is often the last resort.

Let's face it, overall, that was a pretty good performance at times last night.  Some crisp moving of the ball, some great passing and closing down, some neat moves almost unlocking that tight defence.

But it's all a bit Atletico isn't it.  Same problem with the low-block, and a hideous lack of composure at the back that only encourages more of their defensive shite. 

It's the sort of problem that isn't solved with a Sancho, or Mbappe.  There is no space to exploit.

We created enough chances to win comfortably once again.  If Mo could actually finish a decent percentage of chanes he gets we'd have smashed them.  Bobby useless once again doesn't help.  He's pretty much offering fuck all except harrying defenders and keeping Origi off the pitch which is a good thing.

Can remember when Fabio Capello was talking about his time at Roma and they won the Scudetto for the first time in ages in 2001. He said that the players and owners were made up that they won the league but had no desire to push on and build on it. 

The owners were just happy to have won it and just spend the next season talking about the last season. He got fed up and left for Juventus a few seasons later. 

3 hours ago, stringvest said:

Henderson is out injured, one of the reasons we lost last night and only got a draw against Burnley.

We desperatly need another option than Origi up front, totally agree.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Code said:

Henderson is out injured, one of the reasons we lost last night and only got a draw against Burnley.

We desperatly need another option than Origi up front, totally agree.

True , Origi comes good once or twice a season in clutch situations. Most of the time he's ineffective.  

Mad we didn't sign Werner , it really did strike a bum note after the euphoria of winning the title. Thought Minamino looked ok last night but be surprised if he turns out to be that much of an upgrade on Origi coming from the bench. 

Morning after the night before. Still livid at the mistakes that cost us the game. I know some will disagree with me but Ive always said you dont put your own keeper under pressure. Alli will be pissed an opportunity to keep another clean sheet was tossed away carelessly and needlessly.

Just because, in my opinion, both van Dijk and Robbo made the mistakes, doesnt mean they played shit either. The players, all of them, have achieved what I wanted and that was ending the title drought. Sure, points totals, retaining the CL and winning a minor cup would have been the icing on the cake.  Im not saying Im not bothered, I am but Im also a realist / pragmatist.

Im seeing people going on about retaining the title next season is a 'must' and some kind of disaster if we dont. Nope, again in my opinion, it will not.

As for the game last night, we should have blown arsenal away. Similar to the Burnley game, we had many more chances than the oppos but failed to take them. Bobby's luck continues to desert him. You just know if those spawny cunts rashford, greenwood, sterling, kane etc had of blocked that keeper's clearance, it would have trickled into the net. Well, maybe not but the thought makes me feel a bit better for Bobby!

I know Mo had an exceptional first season for us but I just wished he had that season again. He doesnt seem to gamble on the ball much. He had two glorious chances, one where he had to dig it out and the keeper saved and another header he didnt anticipate which resulted in a tame finish. Perhaps a bit harsh on Mo but there you go.

Sadio loves playing against arsenal, doesnt he? He nearly always scores against them. It was easy to see the only way arsenal were scoring last night was going to be down to a mistake from our players or the officials. arsenal were toothless and if any gooners think the result  is a turning point for them, they're more deluded than that lot over the park.

Forgot to add, tyler is still a cunt commentator. Yeah, celebrate your summarisor playing for arsenal winning the title. How long since they last won it? Celebrate that, cunt.

14 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Oh Jesus 

To be clear, we've had an excellent season, but I lost count of the number of games where we'd waste bucket fulls of chances and be on the edge of our seat until the last minutes when we could have been out of sight. It's not compatible with my anxiety.

Can't complain overall like.

The drop in form in the league was fully expected by me, we would not be dropping points if it wasn’t run. Foot off the pedal, it happens rightly or wrongly.

Regarding new players as we now they’re crying poverty but a few sales and a few shrew purchases can help us, we may have to think frees, loans or the odd short term Arl arse. Things have conspired against us and virtually everyone else, people are still dying. We have got the league drought off our back. 

23 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Jesus, I see arsenal are whinging Trent didnt get a red card for his tackle with that Saka last night. I thought he made it look worse than it was. Yes, he did just catch him on the shin but a red? Fuck off.

Arsenal were very ‘Arsenal’ last night, despite the fact that it was a dead rubber. Going down under minimal contact (that Saka is already a fully fledged Arsenal hit-the-deck-er), kicking the  ball away, time wasting etc. That Ceballos, Poundland Ozil, needs a good punch in the face, that mid-air jump into Minamino was real shithouse stuff. (I shouldn’t be so pissed off, we’re Champions ffs.... just can’t help myself)