You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (A) Premier League - 15/7/20 - 20:15

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Fucking hell, reading this thread and it's like we've blown the league title. Get a grip, the title was won 5 matches ago. They've been absolute beasts for 2 seasons, a drop in form after winning the title was bound to happen. They all probably want to be on the beach somewhere, knee deep in fanny, not playing in empty stadiums.

Or with their family and friends celebrating. Can't be easy winning such an important title and then not getting to strut your stuff in front of fans. Why the fuck should they bust a gut, might as well keep things ticking over and save energy for the new season which will be upon them within a short space of time. Obviously another record would have been nice, but these players and manager have broken enough and have landed us the title and a nice Super Cup and Club World Cup title to boot, it seems that some people will never be happy as they just like to whinge. Nothing wrong being disappointed in a bad performance but one has to look at the context of things and what this magnificent team have achieved despite those cheating cunts up the road. 

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I would love us to go all out for Jiminez. Ticks all the boxes. Yeah he's 29 but we could get 3 good years out of him and he's proper competition for Bobby. 

I like Jimenez but he'd cost too much for his age. If he were playing outside the Pl he'd probably only cost half of what we'd have to stump up. 

4 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Or with their family and friends celebrating. Can't be easy winning such an important title and then not getting to strut your stuff in front of fans. Why the fuck should they bust a gut, might as well keep things ticking over and save energy for the new season which will be upon them within a short space of time. Obviously another record would have been nice, but these players and manager have broken enough and have landed us the title and a nice Super Cup and Club World Cup title to boot, it seems that some people will never be happy as they just like to whinge. Nothing wrong being disappointed in a bad performance but one has to look at the context of things and what this magnificent team have achieved despite those cheating cunts up the road. 

Yeah, they'll get a month off at most before the next season starts. There'll be no break for any of them. There's a serious lack of perspective in a lot of the posts over the last few games.

• Upvote 1

I've been watching football for decades. Every now and then you create 30 chances against 1 or 2 and still manage to lose. It happens. In other circumstances this could've cost us the league. Thank whoever you believe in this time it didn't.

We've had several matches this season when we've playde badly and still won. 

As irritating as such matches are I'm not going to sulk. The holly grail, the no 19, is ours. That's the main thing.

No record to worry about. Just start pre season now. The next 2 matches are both just preparation for next year. Then we go again.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I like Jimenez but he'd cost too much for his age. If he were playing outside the Pl he'd probably only cost half of what we'd have to stump up. 

Fair point that.

The big quest for us is getting the next Jiminez or a potentially really good player. Not sure how much Jiminez would cost (40 mil?) but fairly sure we could get players for 20-30 million that could really make a difference like he did in leagues like Portugal.

Hope Minamino starts the final two games. We need him to get a goal and get his confidence up. He was boss at Salzburg so he has talent.

That rrrreallly annoyed me. Mane was great, Robbo and Gini were good, but the rest were awful. Taki is completely out of his depth in the PL. Bobby has become complacent IMHO, he had another awful game, and he urgently needs competition.

25 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I would love us to go all out for Jiminez. Ticks all the boxes. Yeah he's 29 but we could get 3 good years out of him and he's proper competition for Bobby. 

Divock is a cult hero but is average at best. To rely on him or some very talented kids for next season is foolhardy. Thank god Mo, Sadio or Bobby have been injury free this seaaon but to hope that happens next season is playing russian roulette.

I am sure already read the stories distancing ourselves from him!

Seriously football isn’t fun for most people is it. I mean you win the holy grail (or so you think ) after 30 years and yet rather than enjoy that moment you start whinging over losing a game that meant fuck all.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
18 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Fair point that.

The big quest for us is getting the next Jiminez or a potentially really good player. Not sure how much Jiminez would cost (40 mil?) but fairly sure we could get players for 20-30 million that could really make a difference like he did in leagues like Portugal.

Hope Minamino starts the final two games. We need him to get a goal and get his confidence up. He was boss at Salzburg so he has talent.

Minamino was indeed boss at Salzburg but the Austrian league is not as physical and tbh we mainly just saw him in the CL against us and we aren't that physical ourselves. He started off well tonight when he came on but was easily eased out of the game and started looking for fouls rather than asserting himself on the game. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Seriously football isn’t fun for most people is it. I mean you win the holy grail (or so you think ) after 30 years and yet rather than enjoy that moment you start whinging over losing a game that meant fuck all.

I can't wait for next season and the first game we drop points in. 

These players are struggling to lift themselves and do all the right things that brought us to the stage where we clinched the title so early and so convincingly. We've not been ruthless enough in general this season (hence the many narrow wins and the early exit from Europe), but the lack of ruthlessness combined with the recent lack of edge is making us less of a threat. At the other end, we are seeing some shambolic defending from players that have otherwise been extraordinarily consistent and solid.

After clinching the title, we had several targets that we could still attain:

Getting over 100 points? Flubbed. Sounds harsh considering one more win will see us equal last season's exceptional tally, 4 points from the last 2 games will see us break it, and a maximum will leave us on a fantastic 99-point haul. It just seems anticlimactic because were really were well on course to smash past the 100-point barrier not so long ago.

Setting the record for most wins? Flubbed. Winning our last 2 matches will see us equal it though.

Setting a 100% winning record at home? Flubbed, thanks to very inconsistent finishing

Setting the record for the biggest points margin between the top two in the league? The record is 19 points, and we currently stand 18 points clear of City.

Alisson getting the Golden Gloves? Not while we make the sort of errors at the back we've been making recently.

Mo getting the Golden Boot? Not while his finishing is as erratic as it's been recently.

Maybe this group of players will use the failure to achieve these targets as a motivator to do it next year, just like they recovered from missing out on the European Cup in 2018, and the title last year. I think the squad needs a refresh in one or two areas to give us greater strength in depth for the challenge of fending off other teams who won't be so far back next year,and are spending money to try and overcome (or at least close) that gap. To just assume this lot have it in them to go again is borderline negligent.

• Upvote 1

Very frustrating, but dont think we were as bad as being suggested,  at one point we had 16 shots to their 2 yet they were 2-1 up ( Felt like Kenny's last season when we hit the bar and post a million times ) . At the risk of repeating everybody else we obviously need freshening up in the market and need to work on finishing to give us the odd game without blood pressure problems , but I have every faith in Klopp and the players to make us proud again next season.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, John102 said:

Maybe i remember it incorrectly, as a few people have taken issue with it.

I remember us creating lots of chances, getting into a winning position and then blowing it after a terrible mistake.

We were wasteful yes, but clearly the better side.

Anyway, thats a thing of the past now. Just seems odd to use it as a stick to beat this side with.

I'm not really bothered about the results now we're champions, but I am a bit worried about our form. We've been poor for some time, going back to scraping past Norwich in February. We seem wide open down the centre, yet can't put away our chances up front. I think the players look mentally spent after three hard seasons. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Minamino was indeed boss at Salzburg but the Austrian league is not as physical and tbh we mainly just saw him in the CL against us and we aren't that physical ourselves. He started off well tonight when he came on but was easily eased out of the game and started looking for fouls rather than asserting himself on the game. 

Maybe he should have looked harder - especially when he stayed on his feet in the box. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

May have been mentioned but the frequency of these games is an absolute liver shot for us. We all know the failings of the squad at large; we’ve got 11 great players and a couple more decent ones so trotting those 11 out again and again on 3 days notice is just going to ruin them. Probably goes a long way to explaining the loss of form.

Just now, johnsusername said:

I'm not really bothered about the results now we're champions, but I am a bit worried about our form. We've been poor for some time, going back to scraping past Norwich in February. We seem wide open down the centre, yet can't put away our chances up front. I think the players look mentally spent after three hard seasons.

That’s the rub. Not only mentally tired after 3 hard seasons, but with the opportunity to switch off because their ambitions have been achieved.

winning it with 7 games to spare is only a part of it. In reality they knew they’d won it long before, and the three month break obviously had an impact on everyone, but realistically it would be impossible for it not to have an even bigger impact on those lads that have strived so hard for this success and now had it.

i am not worried at all, but still disappointed, obviously.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Maybe he should have looked harder - especially when he stayed on his feet in the box. 

I was hoping he would get a shot off or lay the ball back, for me he was looking for the contact yet failed to go to ground as the contact wasn't that OTT. No doubting the Arsenal defender had his arms on him, but you'd be seriously fucked off if that was given against us. It wasn't just that incident either, he looked lively in getting into space but was eased off the ball a few times. He could be a great sub against City etc, or in the CL, I don't think he has the physical game to adjust to life in the Pl against defences that are mainly made up of physical type players. Klopp has been wary of playing him so far and there has to be a reason behind that considering the form of others. Hope I'm wrong though. 

It would've been good to see them still have the drive to go for 100+ points but after what they've managed to do over the last year or so it's not something I could seriously complain about. The form is concerning though agreed and I hope they don't start having their confidence affected which leads into next season causing problems from the off.

I can't imagine what it must be like to do what they've done but after winning so much and being at the top like they currently are I hope they stay focused and can switch to being good at consistently winning trophies instead of getting them for the first time. They don't seem like a squad of players that would get full of themselves though and allow all of this to go to their heads so I'm sure they'll be ready again at the start of next season. And if they're not some screaming from Klopp should sort them out a bit to get them going again.

Disappointing as the result is, I think some are overreacting saying they're worried about form for next season. Many are expecting perfection it seems.

I'll say it now, dont expect the club to retain the title. We've just ended 30 years without a title and retaining it is another massive task. That doesnt mean you dont try but to me, there needs to be a management of expectations.