You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

• 3 weeks later...

Andrew Graham-Dixon has been banned by Cambridge University debating society for, apparently, overstepping the mark in a debate about taste. Discussing whether or not good taste exists, he argued that it must, because bad taste undeniably exists and that its opposite must logically also exist. He further argued that bad taste and bad morals go hand in hand, illustrating this point with the definitive example of both, Mad Alf Heatlump.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/cambridge-union-bans-tv-historian-for-imitating-hitler-in-debate-about-bad-taste-1.522403

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/cambridge-union-bans-tv-historian-for-imitating-hitler-in-debate-about-bad-taste-1.522403

The only black writer on one of the new star trek shows got fucked off because he retold a story about how he'd been stopped by the cops and called the n word, and used the n word in the retelling of the story, offending persons unknown who complained and got him sacked.

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The only black writer on one of the new star trek shows got fucked off because he retold a story about how he'd been stopped by the cops and called the n word, and used the n word in the retelling of the story, offending persons unknown who complained and got him sacked.

That shit boils my piss. You can't ban words. You have to understand them in context. Blazing Saddles would never have been such a powerful anti-racist statement if all the residents of Rock Ridge were careful about their language ("Up yours, African-American!")

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Andrew Graham-Dixon has been banned by Cambridge University debating society for, apparently, overstepping the mark in a debate about taste. Discussing whether or not good taste exists, he argued that it must, because bad taste undeniably exists and that its opposite must logically also exist. He further argued that bad taste and bad morals go hand in hand, illustrating this point with the definitive example of both, Mad Alf Heatlump.

He’s had to back down now and retract his threat to create a list. 

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Read into this again and it's a bit different in fairness, he quit because he got bollocked by HR.

They apparently said: "Did you use the n word in the writers' room?"

And he said: "I am the n word in the writers' room." And fucked off.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Read into this again and it's a bit different in fairness, he quit because he got bollocked by HR.

That’s why he’s a writer, great line.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Wasn't this on Snowfall some time ago? We discussed this on here at the time.

16 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I see professional angry old man John Cleese has 'cancelled himself' from a Cambridge debate before, as he would have it, he was cancelled by the same twat that created a blacklist including Graham-Dixon for his imitation of Hitler.

Leaving aside the obvious PR gains here, given he's producing a series on cancel culture, I've got no problem with Cleese calling out someone for creating blacklists based on such flimsy pretexts. I would add, though, that, like many of his ilk (Gervais is another one), his targets for censure and ridicule do seem to be very selective. I preferred Cleese when he was willing to call out cancel culture wherever it reared its ugly head.

Hopefully his documentary will prove me wrong.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

No, it's a post Martyn Ware shared.

Aah right. Yeah not great that, at all. Not sure what relevance it's got to the tweet I posted though. Maybe Baddiel could have used him blacking up on national tv or mocking Ray Houghton and the Irish? 

Lets face it, Baddiel is a prick. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Aah right. Yeah not great that, at all. Not sure what relevance it's got to the tweet I posted though.

Because for some reason (I can't possibly imagine what) Baddiel is being depicted as the bad guy in an exchange with someone who has a very recent history of posting problematic stuff.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Because for some reason (I can't possibly imagine what) Baddiel is being depicted as the bad guy in an exchange with someone who has a very recent history of posting problematic stuff.

In that tweet whereas Baddiel is on national tv depicting the other guy as the bad guy (not even mentioning the above tweet you posted). That's ok is it? 

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think you can still be a twat if you speak to another twat in a twattish way.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

In that tweet whereas Baddiel is on national tv depicting the other guy as the bad guy (not even mentioning the above tweet you posted). That's ok is it? 

I don't know or care. I'm just pointing out that Ware is hardly an innocent party here.