You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

12 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

In a statement released on Tuesday, Rooney explained her decision, writing that while she was “very proud” to have had her previous novels translated into Hebrew, she has for now “chosen not to sell these translation rights to an Israeli-based publishing house”.

The statement expressed her desire to support the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions movement (BDS), a campaign that works to “end international support for Israel’s oppression of Palestinians and pressure Israel to comply with international law”.

“Earlier this year, the international campaign group Human Rights Watch published a report entitled A Threshold Crossed: Israeli Authorities and the Crimes of Apartheid and Persecution. That report, coming on the heels of a similarly damning report by Israel’s most prominent human rights organization B’Tselem, confirmed what Palestinian human rights groups have long been saying: Israel’s system of racial domination and segregation against Palestinians meets the definition of apartheid under international law,” Rooney’s statement read.

“Of course, many states other than Israel are guilty of grievous human rights abuses. This was also true of South Africa during the campaign against apartheid there. In this particular case, I am responding to the call from Palestinian civil society, including all major Palestinian trade unions and writers’ unions.”

She went on to acknowledge that not everyone will agree with her, but that she did not feel it would be right to collaborate with an Israeli company “that does not publicly distance itself from apartheid and support the UN-stipulated rights of the Palestinian people.

“The Hebrew-language translation rights to my new novel are still available, and if I can find a way to sell these rights that is compliant with the BDS movement’s institutional boycott guidelines, I will be very pleased and proud to do so. In the meantime I would like to express once again my solidarity with the Palestinian people in their struggle for freedom, justice and equality”, she said.

How completely unreasonable of her. 

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This horseshit lie that people who campaign against injustice in one place don't care about injustice anywhere else deserves to be laughed at.

I think Oberman holds a deep burning infatuation for Jeremy Corbyn.

Here she is promoting her bbc drama Ridley Rd.. the only link Corbyn has to the events depicted in the programme is his mother joined the protest against Oswald Moseley marching in London, something Oberman fails to mention. 

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Where are the lies? Where's the dishonesty? List them all, and then I can go through them one by one, explaining why you are wrong.

There isn't enough internet. I've played this game with you before and you ignored it. 

How about this one for a starter? 

"BDS doesn't believe Israel should exist. " Just back it up with evidence. if I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

There isn't enough internet. I've played this game with you before and you ignored it. 

How about this one for a starter? 

"BDS doesn't believe Israel should exist. " Just back it up with evidence. if I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up. 

BDS: In Their Own Words (jewishvirtuallibrary.org)

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You've educated me there. Rep owed, any of that humble pie left? 

You don't owe me any rep, I'm not bothered about that. Just spend a couple of minutes checking next time before calling me a liar. Norman Finkelstein and Noam Chomsky aren't exactly fans of Israel, and they've been critical of the BDS movement for years for precisely this reason, because they still argue (like many of us) for a two state solution.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You don't owe me any rep. Just spend a couple of minutes checking next time before calling me a liar. Norman Finkelstein and Noam Chomsky aren't exactly fans of Israel, and they've been critical of the BDS movement for years for precisely this reason, because they still argue (like many of us) for a two state solution.

I will accept that one. Apologies for calling you a liar in this instance. Sincerely. I honestly didn't think that was part of their 'mission'

Do Israel demolish Palestinian homes within Israel? 

30 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Norman Finkelstein and Noam Chomsky aren't exactly fans of Israel, and they've been critical of the BDS movement for years for precisely this reason, because they still argue (like many of us) for a two state solution.

Should a supporter of the two-state solution continue to fund the government (and the companies it deals with) which relentlessly and violently works for the destruction of any Palestinian state?

35 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I honestly didn't think that was part of their 'mission'

It isn't.

But a functioning Palestinian state and the right of Palestinian return is incompatible with the structural racism of the Israeli state in its current form. Nevertheless, South Africa still exists post-Apartheid and so could Israel.

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It isn't.

But a functioning Palestinian state and the right of Palestinian return is incompatible with the structural racism of the Israeli state in its current form. Nevertheless, South Africa still exists post-Apartheid and so could Israel.

Israel has a right to exist and the pair of them need to stop being cunts but nevertheless denial of apartheid over there is completely dishonest. I posted a documentary on the great documentaries thread the other day. Louis Theroux spending time over there, some absolute bastards there. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Israel has a right to exist and the pair of them need to stop being cunts but nevertheless denial of apartheid over there is completely dishonest. I posted a documentary on the great documentaries thread the other day. Louis Theroux spending time over there, some absolute bastards there. 

This is always worth watching. Life can be pretty scary for Israeli civilians, but fuck me it's grim for Palestinians.

I don't have any solution to this. (Obviously. I'd be a right cunt if I did have one and I was keeping it to myself.) The two-state solution, along 1967 borders, is probably the best hope, but it's dead in the water unless the Israeli state radically changes.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This is always worth watching. Life can be pretty scary for Israeli civilians, but fuck me it's grim for Palestinians.

I don't have any solution to this. (Obviously. I'd be a right cunt if I did have one and I was keeping it to myself.) The two-state solution, along 1967 borders, is probably the best hope, but it's dead in the water unless the Israeli state radically changes.

If you haven't seen this then give it a watch. The warped mentality of religion is scary. "chosen people" "we are better than them" etc. Then of course the forced evictions. No doubt a number of people will have called Louis Theroux an anti-semite for asking difficult questions in here but unfortunately that's the way things are. We are supposed to turn a blind eye. But as you said above, life is shit for Israelis who are under threat as well. 

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/louis-theroux-ultra-zionists/

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

All I'm seeing there is a handful of people (some of them BDS supporters) rejecting the two-state solution that Israel has fought to destroy ever since it was first mooted.

Yes. 

No official BDS lines have been quoted in that article. I remember a certain poster vehemently arguing that an individuals thoughts and opinions don't always reflect the views of the organisation they represent when stating that the Liberal Democrats weren't homophobic/anti-gay based on the statements made by Tim Farron. 

It's funny* how that logic and reasoning has been casually discarded when it comes to this issue. 

* Not really, it was entirely expected. 

• Downvote 1