You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Sally Rooney getting the works on Twitter. 

I think that is a good development, to be fair. To see something that is so obviously not antisemitic being classed as antisemitic serves to both shine a light on the bad faith involved in such ridiculous accusations, as well as revealling the hand of those who, by default, almost instantly resort to defamatory slurs when there's even the slightest criticism of Israel or championing of Palestinian rights. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I think that is a good development, to be fair. To see something that is so obviously not antisemitic being classed as antisemitic serves to both shine a light on the bad faith involved in such ridiculous accusations, as well as revealling the hand of those who, by default, almost instantly resort to defamatory slurs when there's even the slightest criticism of Israel or championing of Palestinian rights. 

All she needs is a publisher who isn’t based in Israel, knows Hebrew but will refuse to sell the book in Israel where most people likely to buy it live.  What’s unreasonable about that? 

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

All she needs is a publisher who isn’t based in Israel, knows Hebrew but will refuse to sell the book in Israel where most people likely to buy it live.  What’s unreasonable about that? 

Typical apologist claptrap, I bet you don't support the destruction of Israel either!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

See, the desperate nonsense above shows how desperate the anti-Palestinian rights bigots are to defame anybody who stands up for them. Just lies, after lies to slander people. Lies implying that she's refused to sell her books in Israel, lies saying that she's refused to use any publishers based in Israel. Comments clearly made by people who haven't read her statement and have instead indulged in the very same pattern of behaviour that my original post mentions - an irrational obsession in seeing non-existent antisemitism. Desperate stuff. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

See, the desperate nonsense above shows how desperate the anti-Palestinian rights bigots are to defame anybody who stands up for them. Just lies, after lies to slander people. Lies implying that she's refused to sell her books in Israel, lies saying that she's refused to use any publishers based in Israel. Comments clearly made by people who haven't read her statement and have instead indulged in the very same pattern of behaviour that my original post mentions - an irrational obsession in seeing non-existent antisemitism. Desperate stuff. 

If she’s following BDS rules will the publisher be able to sell it in Israel? 

15 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

If she’s following BDS rules will the publisher be able to sell it in Israel? 

From what I gather, she doesn't want to sell her books in Israel. She's looking for someone to do a Hebrew translation so the book can be read by Jews in other countries (across the world). She's boycotting Israeli businesses that support what she refers to as an "apartheid state".

1 minute ago, Boss said:

From what I gather, she doesn't want to sell her books in Israel. She's looking for someone to do a Hebrew translation so the book can be read by Jews in other countries (across the world). She's boycotting Israeli businesses that support what she refers to as an "apartheid state".

Read her statement. She won’t use an Israeli publisher to do the translation and want to adhere to BDS which means it won’t be sold in Israel.  

1 minute ago, Boss said:

Go away with your reasonable explanation. I don't believe a word.

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Sounds like a real winner for whoever picks it up.  I mean their must be loads of publishers willing to exclude the largest market for a product.  Her decision of course. 

Authors are so lucky there's only one country on the planet doing bad stuff, it'd be awful for their bottom line if they had to boycott loads of them.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Sounds like a real winner for whoever picks it up.  I mean their must be loads of publishers willing to exclude the largest market for a product.  Her decision of course. 

She's obviously not bothered by any loss of money, besides the book will sell more copies now because of the free publicity. 

The bad faith arguments continue. Hilarious. 

She's boycotted the Modan publishing company (despite using them to publish her two previous books - strange. Maybe she's only recently become an antisemite?) and she makes this clear and why she's done this in her statement. It might add a little clarity to the situation to add that Modan has apparently worked alongside the Israeli Ministry of Defence. 

It is genuinely weird why she's published with them in the past though. Although, I reckon her change of heart is more than likely down to her getting a bit disheartened by seeing innocent kids and civilians being blown up and slaughtered in other ways, rather than some underlying "kill all the Jews" sentiment. 

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The bad faith arguments continue. Hilarious. 

She's boycotted the Modan publishing company (despite using them to publish her two previous books - strange. Maybe she's only recently become an antisemite?) and she makes this clear and why she's done this in her statement. It might add a little clarity to the situation to add that Modan has apparently worked alongside the Israeli Ministry of Defence. 

It is genuinely weird why she's published with them in the past though. Although, I reckon her change of heart is more than likely down to her getting a bit disheartened by seeing innocent kids and civilians being blown up and slaughtered in other ways, rather than some underlying "kill all the Jews" sentiment. 

Lots of rich people find they are bothered about all kinds of causes once they’re rich.  Not so much whilst they are poor.  

9 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Lots of rich people find they are bothered about all kinds of causes once they’re rich.  Not so much whilst they are poor.  

"Irish author discovers principles now that she's rich enough to stick two fingers up to the Jews"

• Downvote 3