You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

7 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Yep, he got caught. Plus you would lose your job if you racially abused someone, or said something racial or misogynistic. He put is on his social media channels! I'm not on social media - and I don't understand why anyone would be on it for this very reason. 

He hasn't racially abused someone so that is completely irrelevant to this case. 

He made some shit jokes on the internet a decade ago. Like millions of other people have. They won't all be suspended. Almost none of them will be. 

It's utterly absurd that he's being suspended. Tedious tokenism shit from organisations that are genuinely institutionally racist. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

There is also the thing that when he put it "on his social media channels", it seems nobody at the time noticed it or protested or possibly felt racially abused enough to react. Or did they?  

He made an "Asians have different shaped eyes" joke on social media. Seems unlikely it would have been noticed specifically amongst the millions of similar posts on the internet. 

I think we should set a date and say "right you fucking wankers youre getting a reprieve as of this instant any dumb, horrible nasty shit you've shamed yourself by saying online in the past is null and void now is the time to take a good look at yourself because any nasty vile shit you post from this moment on you will feel the full wrath of the outraged and nobody can defend your actions unless they agree with your sentiments and remember! context is everything if you cant tell if something is born of hate, misplaced humour, ignorance... just a dumb fucking mistake humans make on a daily then shut the fuck up and shove your outrage up your arse until you see genuine issues that really are worth fighting for or people who need opposing. Everyone alive now is the same generation, Generation cunt" "cunt cunt"

I hope the players union is searching the Twitter feeds of all those on the committee.  

It’s truly pathetic. I’d make sure not to promote anything by Wisden,  boycott all their events and show the little fucking weasel who started this he’s the real cunt in this story.   

34 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

He hasn't racially abused someone so that is completely irrelevant to this case. 

He made some shit jokes on the internet a decade ago. Like millions of other people have. They won't all be suspended. Almost none of them will be. 

It's utterly absurd that he's being suspended. Tedious tokenism shit from organisations that are genuinely institutionally racist. 

He made a joke about Muslims being bombers! How is that not racially offensive (I think more appropriate)?

He wasn't a kid and as I say, he made the jokes in public and hasn't deleted them. Nor has he apologised or acknowledged them. He did that when they were found. Those in public are different to us, that is just the way of it. 

He isn't losing his career - as most of us would. We'd be sacked for saying that. He is just suspended. He'll carry on as normal in a week or two. 

I'm not totally against your argument, I am pretty much in agreement for most of it. But this to me is an easier one. If they called for him to be sacked or never play again then I'd be against that. 

20 minutes ago, Jockey said:

He made a joke about Muslims being bombers! How is that not racially offensive (I think more appropriate)?

He wasn't a kid and as I say, he made the jokes in public and hasn't deleted them. Nor has he apologised or acknowledged them. He did that when they were found. Those in public are different to us, that is just the way of it. 

He isn't losing his career - as most of us would. We'd be sacked for saying that. He is just suspended. He'll carry on as normal in a week or two. 

I'm not totally against your argument, I am pretty much in agreement for most of it. But this to me is an easier one. If they called for him to be sacked or never play again then I'd be against that. 

He is a cricketer, not an elected official or similar, I don't know if he deleted it or not, but he may have forgotten about it, it does not mean he is behind everything he said on social media over the past 15 or so years, which he regularly curates. And that's the thing, these jokes were buried somewhere where only the person actively looking for them can find it, possibly among other stupid jokes.

It's mad how there's no middle ground left. There's a section of society who have to tip toe around everything for fear of being excommunicated, but then a Trumpian section at the other extreme who say truly heinous shit, repeatedly, yet it gets laughed off.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SasaS said:

He is a cricketer, not an elected official or similar, I don't know if he deleted it or not, but he may have forgotten about it, it does not mean he is behind everything he said on social media over the past 15 or so years, which he regularly curates. And that's the thing, these jokes were buried somewhere where only the person actively looking for them can find it, possibly among other stupid jokes.

But he said it. You still get in trouble for calling Muslims bombers - he did. He hasn't lost his job, he's suspended for a test. He knew it was racist when he said it. And to double down he put it on social media like a prick. 

25 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's mad how there's no middle ground left. There's a section of society who have to tip toe around everything for fear of being excommunicated, but then a Trumpian section at the other extreme who say truly heinous shit, repeatedly, yet it gets laughed off.

You tiptoe around because you aren't Trump though. There is a strand of activism that has grown on Twitter that sees no middle-ground, only deals in absolutes and doesn't believe in compromise - and they believe you either support then 100% or you are against them. 

We do seem to be living in a world where everyone should have a voice and representation is key, but don't disagree or we'll stop you from voicing your opinion in public. As you say - it won't stop Trump, so they are immune - but JK Rowling is seen as a target for goodness sake! 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think it would all just be better if people weren’t racist cunts no matter how low level they find acceptable. There really ain’t any other argument to be had. 

That isn't the argument though mate! A lot of the time - it is what is racist! Germaine Greer gets hit because she is womens rights, JK Rowling the same - both are progressive - but to some they are the wrong type of progressive. 

The far left and far right are both prone to silence views that they don't like. 

1 minute ago, Jockey said:

That isn't the argument though mate! A lot of the time - it is what is racist! Germaine Greer gets hit because she is womens rights, JK Rowling the same - both are progressive - but to some they are the wrong type of progressive. 

The far left and far right are both prone to silence views that they don't like. 

I’m on about racism. There is a horrible daily Mail comments section under-current in society of racists who will argue that everyone is just woke. “No you racist dickhead just not everyone isn’t a racist prick” look at the comments section on these articles for example:

https://mol.im/a/9667705

https://mol.im/a/9668523

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I’m on about racism. There is a horrible daily Mail comments section under-current in society of racists who will argue that everyone is just woke. “No you racist dickhead just not everyone isn’t a racist prick” look at the comments section on these articles for example:

https://mol.im/a/9667705

https://mol.im/a/9668523

Understand rather not. As that is what drives the Mail into allowing it. That is what the Mail is. Don't read it, leave them to it. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting racism isn't bad. And being a racist isn't bad. 

On 09/06/2021 at 08:51, Rico1304 said:

Apparently the picture of the queen only went in after a vote in 2013.  It’s been removed after a vote in 2021. Who gives a fuck? I’m more concerned about whose poster all students now have after Morissey and that bird scratching her arse

have been cancelled. 

Ash Sarkar, scratching her arse.

49 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It is quite amusing that some lecturers have refused to teach a group of Oxford students who’ve voted to not take down a statue of Cecil Rhodes.  Surely it’s the same democracy that got rid of the queens picture. 

Students want Rhodes gone.

They're trying to cancel James Corden now, which wouldn't bother me in the slightest, except the reasoning for it is total crap. He apparently has this segment on his show that showcases disgusting foods like balut (fertilised duck eggs that are boiled and eaten, duck embryo and all), and because a number of these foods originate in Asian cuisine, it's claimed this constitutes anti-Asian racism. Just thinking about this vile shit* makes me feel sick and it has nothing to do with race.

*balut, not Corden

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

They're trying to cancel James Corden now, which wouldn't bother me in the slightest, except the reasoning for it is total crap. He apparently has this segment on his show that showcases disgusting foods like balut (fertilised duck eggs that are boiled and eaten, duck embryo and all), and because a number of these foods originate in Asian cuisine, it's claimed this constitutes anti-Asian racism. Just thinking about this vile shit* makes me feel sick and it has nothing to do with race.

*balut, not Corden

People want to have the satisfaction of ‘doing good’ then moving on to the next victim. 

Was Colin Kappenick (sp) cancelled? 

18 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

"Don't be a cunt."

There's really not much more to add (other than cricket is shit).

There is though isn’t there. You honestly don’t think there is a problem with cancel culture and the offended by everything movement. What do you think of the Corden situation?