You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

33 minutes ago, Mook said:

It's Jerry Sadowitz, the whole point of his act (other than his magic) is that he goes out of his way to be offensive.

And he delivers. I reckon there's probably something wrong with you if you go to one of his shows and don't find at least one thing deeply offensive and at least one thing absolutely hilarious. He leaves standing any other comedians (right or left wing) who fancy themselves as brave or edgy.

We’re all guilty of it. I mean Rachel Riley came out with an anti-semitic comment but that was allowed to pass. So she thought fuck it and then falsely claimed to find anti-semitism just because people disagreed with her. The world is full of hypocrisy. Oh and she’s a cunt. 

8 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

You got this the wrong way, Mal.

Its a culture of cancelling, or at least attempting to, that has led to people losing jobs/income/standing.  

The culture aspect is what they are doing, not in the specific destruction of a thing, arts and opinions in the main.

The culture is a group of fools, on both sides of the spectrum, assuming they have a right to allow something to no longer be as it goes against a pretty flimsy set of soft coded beliefs they’ve developed in their interwebs hive mind.

It's broader than a "group of fools".  Even more dangerous is that the belief that works of art should be promoting "positive values" in accordance with predominant ideology of a certain wider group and should be removed or at least come with all sorts of warnings if they are "offensive" or "problematic" now seems to be a fairly ubiquitous, mainstream concept.

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It's broader than a "group of fools".  Even more dangerous is that the belief that works of art should be promoting "positive values" in accordance with predominant ideology of a certain wider group and should be removed or at least come with all sorts of warnings if they are "offensive" or "problematic" now seems to be a fairly ubiquitous, mainstream concept.

Any examples?

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Couldn't agree more, we are on dangerous ground here for the arts.

Advisory and content warnings have existed for decades. They just became more prevalent on the internet in the last ten years, which is the point that the alt-right decided to shit their pants over them. The expectation that you can spread whatever you want across the internet without censure was the new bit, never existed on any other medium (except possibly the theatre, but then that's always faced the outrage of the right wing tabloids, so maybe they don't get off scot-free).

The Tories are doing more to harm and threaten the arts in the UK than a theatre deciding that Sadowitz waving his cock in a woman's face is a bit much for them. Yet this thread only gets bumped when these still isolated incidents occur and not when policies continuously cut funding. Until Sadowitz's whole tour is cancelled by others I think people need to untwist their knickers somewhat.

5 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Cancel culture doesn't exist until it happens to you or something you like. 

Metallica are currently under fire from the yoof who heard about them from Stranger Things. 

It’s the yoof that are trying to cancel everything isn’t it? It just seems the yoof seem to be 24 and under these days. 

44 minutes ago, Mook said:

Couldn't agree more, we are on dangerous ground here for the arts.

We're really not. Putting a caption up about potentially offensive content in a film you're about to watch doesn't inhibit filmmakers, broadcasters or viewers. Meanwhile, you can be a successful mainstream TV host and comedian while having a laugh at the Roma genocide. We're not exactly reliving the days of censorship by the Lord Chamberlain, are we?

42 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

We're really not. Putting a caption up about potentially offensive content in a film you're about to watch doesn't inhibit filmmakers, broadcasters or viewers. Meanwhile, you can be a successful mainstream TV host and comedian while having a laugh at the Roma genocide. We're not exactly reliving the days of censorship by the Lord Chamberlain, are we?

Aye, I wasn't really referring to that part of his post with my comment.

3 hours ago, skend04 said:

The Tories are doing more to harm and threaten the arts in the UK than a theatre deciding that Sadowitz waving his cock in a woman's face is a bit much for them. Yet this thread only gets bumped when these still isolated incidents occur and not when policies continuously cut funding. Until Sadowitz's whole tour is cancelled by others I think people need to untwist their knickers somewhat.

I'm sure the majority on here agree with your general point, I certainly do. Half the reason we have this overreaction to everything is that the arts are overrun with middle/upper class fucking do gooders with nothing better to do than get offended. Working class people don't get a look in & it's getting worse.

40 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'm sure the majority on here agree with your general point, I certainly do. Half the reason we have this overreaction to everything is that the arts are overrun with middle/upper class fucking do gooders with nothing better to do than get offended. Working class people don't get a look in & it's getting worse.

Funding regional theatre and arts for the working classes? Sounds dangerous we can’t do that. Here have a betting shop and Wetherspoons instead. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Funding regional theatre and arts for the working classes? Sounds dangerous we can’t do that. Here have a betting shop and Wetherspoons instead. 

To be fair that new Shakespeare North Theatre in Prescot looks the bollocks. 

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The theatre claims a large number of people walked out of his show as they felt 'uncomfortable and unsafe'.

Unsafe. The fuck?

I get that people may have bought tickets to the show without knowing his style. But it’s impossible that the venue didn’t know.