You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

In a statement released on Tuesday, Rooney explained her decision, writing that while she was “very proud” to have had her previous novels translated into Hebrew, she has for now “chosen not to sell these translation rights to an Israeli-based publishing house”.

The statement expressed her desire to support the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions movement (BDS), a campaign that works to “end international support for Israel’s oppression of Palestinians and pressure Israel to comply with international law”.

“Earlier this year, the international campaign group Human Rights Watch published a report entitled A Threshold Crossed: Israeli Authorities and the Crimes of Apartheid and Persecution. That report, coming on the heels of a similarly damning report by Israel’s most prominent human rights organization B’Tselem, confirmed what Palestinian human rights groups have long been saying: Israel’s system of racial domination and segregation against Palestinians meets the definition of apartheid under international law,” Rooney’s statement read.

“Of course, many states other than Israel are guilty of grievous human rights abuses. This was also true of South Africa during the campaign against apartheid there. In this particular case, I am responding to the call from Palestinian civil society, including all major Palestinian trade unions and writers’ unions.”

She went on to acknowledge that not everyone will agree with her, but that she did not feel it would be right to collaborate with an Israeli company “that does not publicly distance itself from apartheid and support the UN-stipulated rights of the Palestinian people.

“The Hebrew-language translation rights to my new novel are still available, and if I can find a way to sell these rights that is compliant with the BDS movement’s institutional boycott guidelines, I will be very pleased and proud to do so. In the meantime I would like to express once again my solidarity with the Palestinian people in their struggle for freedom, justice and equality”, she said.

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

"Irish author discovers principles now that she's rich enough to stick two fingers up to the Jews"

Isn't it well established that conflating the state of Israel with "the Jews" is a classic anti-Semitic move?  Eejits on the left and racist cunts on the far right quite rightly get slated when they do it.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Lots of rich people find they are bothered about all kinds of causes once they’re rich.  Not so much whilst they are poor.  

And conversely, lots of rich people are in favour of the stuff that taxes pay for when they're skint, but averse to taxes when they're rich.

(Tip of the hat to people like JK Rowling and Graham Norton who have spoken out in favour of paying tax.)

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I think that is a good development, to be fair. To see something that is so obviously not antisemitic being classed as antisemitic serves to both shine a light on the bad faith involved in such ridiculous accusations, as well as revealling the hand of those who, by default, almost instantly resort to defamatory slurs when there's even the slightest criticism of Israel or championing of Palestinian rights. 

Yep. When I first saw the 'Anti-Rooney' side of the story, accepted as fact by many, I was suspicious of its veracity. Of course, turns out she hadn't refused to have the book published in Hebrew at all, just to work with a specific publisher in Israel.

Very telling to see the people who ran with the story without checking the facts of it, people who would no doubt claim to be the critical thinkers, the reasonable ones in this debate. We've seen this shit plenty of times in the past and continue to see it now.

I would like to say they've shot their bolt this time, but they just bounce back with yet more bollocks that I'm supposed to believe is evidence of anti-Semitism as if the earlier bollocks they've spouted never happened. And people continue to believe it, or at least run with the bollocks as if they believe it. I'm not sure which is the worse of those two scenarios, TBH.

And when they're not getting (faux) offended and defaming and cancelling people who disagree with their stance on elements of Israeli state policy, the same cunts bang on about the right to free speech and mock the cancel-culture and getting offended culture they themselves wallow in. 

Edited by Jack the Sipper

13 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Authors are so lucky there's only one country on the planet doing bad stuff, it'd be awful for their bottom line if they had to boycott loads of them.

This horseshit lie that people who campaign against injustice in one place don't care about injustice anywhere else deserves to be laughed at.

• Upvote 1

The Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement (BDS) is a Palestinian-led[6] movement promoting boycotts, divestments, and economic sanctions against Israel. Its objective is to pressure Israel to meet what the BDS movement describes as Israel's obligations under international law,[7] defined as withdrawal from the occupied territories, removal of the separation barrier in the West Bank, full equality for Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel, and "respecting, protecting, and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties".[8] The movement is organized and coordinated by the Palestinian BDS National Committee.[9]

BDS is modeled after the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa.[10] Its proponents compare the Palestinians' plight to that of apartheid-era black South Africans.[11] Protests and conferences in support of the movement have been held in several countries. Its mascot, which features on its logotype, is Handala, a symbol of Palestinian identity and "right of return".[12]

There is no agreement on whether BDS is antisemitic.[13] According to critics, it is inherently antisemitic,[14] has anti-Semitic aspects,[15] or resembles historical discrimination against Jews.[16] The Anti Defamation League and German Parliament have called its methods, goals, and/or strategies anti-Semitic.[17][18] Countering BDS is a top priority for the Israel lobby in the United States, where 30 states have banned the implementation of boycott and disinvestment measures proposed by BDS.[19] The 2021 Jerusalem Declaration on Antisemitism says "Boycott, divestment, and sanctions are commonplace, non-violent forms of political protest against states,"[20] and that boycotting Israel is not inherently antisemitic.[21] In November 2020, Amnesty International, while expressing support for BDS members, also stated the United States administration of Donald Trump followed that of the Israeli governement in making false claims of anti-Semitism to harm activists and limit free speech.[22] Human Rights Watch's Eric Goldstein considers the charge of antisemitism against BDS a smear.[14]

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

“Of course, many states other than Israel are guilty of grievous human rights abuses...

...but I have no intention of boycotting any of them. Just the Jewish one."

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Isn't it well established that conflating the state of Israel with "the Jews" is a classic anti-Semitic move?

Obviously I'm neglecting to consider all those non-Jews who will be reading in Hebrew.

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'll ask again SD, do you think she is being anti-semitic by not wanting that publisher to print her book? I know it's an inconvenient question for you which is why as usual you have ignored it but try and answer this time. 

I've no intention of discussing anything with you while you continue to engage in bad faith behaviour towards me, which includes mass negging and calling me a liar.

End the victimisation, then we can talk.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement (BDS) is a Palestinian-led[6] movement promoting boycotts, divestments, and economic sanctions against Israel. Its objective is to pressure Israel to meet what the BDS movement describes as Israel's obligations under international law,[7] defined as withdrawal from the occupied territories, removal of the separation barrier in the West Bank, full equality for Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel, and "respecting, protecting, and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties".[8] The movement is organized and coordinated by the Palestinian BDS National Committee.[9]

BDS is modeled after the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa.[10] Its proponents compare the Palestinians' plight to that of apartheid-era black South Africans.[11] Protests and conferences in support of the movement have been held in several countries. Its mascot, which features on its logotype, is Handala, a symbol of Palestinian identity and "right of return".[12]

There is no agreement on whether BDS is antisemitic.[13] According to critics, it is inherently antisemitic,[14] has anti-Semitic aspects,[15] or resembles historical discrimination against Jews.[16] The Anti Defamation League and German Parliament have called its methods, goals, and/or strategies anti-Semitic.[17][18] Countering BDS is a top priority for the Israel lobby in the United States, where 30 states have banned the implementation of boycott and disinvestment measures proposed by BDS.[19] The 2021 Jerusalem Declaration on Antisemitism says "Boycott, divestment, and sanctions are commonplace, non-violent forms of political protest against states,"[20] and that boycotting Israel is not inherently antisemitic.[21] In November 2020, Amnesty International, while expressing support for BDS members, also stated the United States administration of Donald Trump followed that of the Israeli governement in making false claims of anti-Semitism to harm activists and limit free speech.[22] Human Rights Watch's Eric Goldstein considers the charge of antisemitism against BDS a smear.[14]

Stronts negging facts is just too adorable.

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I've no intention of discussing anything with you while you continue to engage in bad faith behaviour towards me, which includes mass negging and calling me a liar.

End the victimisation, then we can talk.

Stop lying then and you won't get negged/called a liar? It really is that simple. But very convenient of you to respond with that. You're not a victim Strontz, you're an agitator and a bullshitter. You just don't like your dishonesty being picked up on. 

25 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

...but I have no intention of boycotting any of them. Just the Jewish one."

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This horseshit lie that people who campaign against injustice in one place don't care about injustice anywhere else deserves to be laughed at.

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Stronts negging facts is just too adorable.

To be fair, I negged him , he negged me so I negged a few of his posts (they were negworthy anyway) so he responded in kind. Childish really but it pisses him off a lot more than me because I'm not a cry arse. So that neg was probably part of that game, it would be unfair not to point that out. 

Although.... facts do often bring out the worst in some people. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Stop lying then and you won't get negged/called a liar? It really is that simple. But very convenient of you to respond with that. You're not a victim Strontz, you're an agitator and a bullshitter. You just don't like your dishonesty being picked up on. 

Where are the lies? Where's the dishonesty? List them all, and then I can go through them one by one, explaining why you are wrong.