You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Who’s taking an extreme view? His argument is Asian cooking belongs to Asians and no one else should write about it in case it steals nonexistent money from potential authors.  I’m asking for evidence. As is AoT. 

Except that wasn’t his argument and you are acting like a Twitter twat.

10 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It’s difficult to quantify as any excuse could be made for not publishing, lots of legitimate reasons of course. There are anecdotal reports though, yes. You only need look at who gets their gurning mug on the front of cook books to see something amiss. 

That above is the hyper sensitive internet hive mind striking again and does nobody any favours.

But if you look at the cook books published, or the restaurant’s opened you will, in the main, find the most successful (financially) are owned by non natives who have appropriated for financial gain.

I can’t send you the link as it’s a word document, but google 20 examples of cultural appropriation in the food world, it’s the first link, and it’ll show you some of the most egregious.

You can appropriate food?  I’m afraid I think that’s bollocks. 

You can’t appropriate sex but you can food? Mental. 

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Is it?

I'm not getting that.

Well he says it here;

expose on the back of ‘cultural appropriation’ and benefit from using another cultures history and cuisine for financial gain and expose, whilst those native to the country will be passed over for more recognisable/photogenic people despite it being their cultural lineage and, you’d hope, being better and more knowledgeable about it.

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Who’s taking an extreme view? His argument is Asian cooking belongs to Asians and no one else should write about it in case it steals nonexistent money from potential authors.  I’m asking for evidence. As is AoT. 

If you believe in discrimination, or cultural appropriation in this case and know how a good deal of the media operates then its a small leap. It doesn't happen 100%,as very little does but its still something to keep an eye on. This tends to be how a mostly civilised society works outside of the cesspit of social media. 

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Well he says it here;

expose on the back of ‘cultural appropriation’ and benefit from using another cultures history and cuisine for financial gain and expose, whilst those native to the country will be passed over for more recognisable/photogenic people despite it being their cultural lineage and, you’d hope, being better and more knowledgeable about it.

You've basically seen the word "appropriation" and started screaming "GAH! Beryl!!" without reading or understanding the whole post.

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Its an argument that has merit, but is being vastly overblown by dickheads on Twitter and so forth.  

Well, quite 

18 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Well he says it here;

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

You've basically seen the word "appropriation" and started screaming "GAH! Beryl!!" without reading or understanding the whole post.

Well, quite 

No I haven’t.  I think the whole idea is frankly stupid.  Her book is telling people how to make food.  That’s it. 

My argument would be that culture doesn't belong to anyone, therefore it cannot be appropriated. And preparation of food is an applied science, and scientific processes don't care what passport the person performing them is holding. I'm very uneasy about even the implication that someone may be better at something simply because it forms part of their "cultural lineage". Moreover, that way of thinking helps to limit people from certain cultures from expanding beyond traditional or stereotypical roles.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Moreover, that way of thinking helps to limit people from certain cultures from expanding beyond traditional or stereotypical roles.

That's why it's good to see, for example, a British-Indian woman being given a series on Italian food (rather than being told to talk about Indian food or shut the fuck up).  There may be an argument that it's an example of white privilege if (and I don't even know if this is true) white foodies and chefs find it much easier to get the publishing and broadcasting deals for cuisines other than what their gran cooked.

4 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Watched a Punch and Judy show today. Gloriously un-PC. Judy took a twatting, baby thrown down the stairs the lot. Absolutely brilliant. 

Copper turns up and just starts twatting everyone in sight, exactly the way Priti Patel would want it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

What a cunt. That symbol and praising that cunt is not art it's hate fuelled rhetoric. Particularly in Warsaw for fuck sake. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/03/2021 at 19:04, skend04 said:

Mash Report cancelled by the BBC and all the right-wingers are going mental at another example of cancel culture by the nation's state broadcaster.

Only one of those 2 are true.

Well it’s on Dave now.  Canned laughter and not very funny. But only 7 mins in so I won’t judge.  Yet. 

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Fuck it’s rubbish. 

White people hate their grandparents apparently.  

50% of mine are definitely ‘iffy’ with another I have to rely on personal testimony about taking the total 75%.

Twenty five percent were solid humans.

So this honky hates, probably, over half.

• 2 weeks later...