You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

On 12/08/2021 at 14:12, Bjornebye said:

Eamonn Holmes should be cancelled.

By cannon.

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Looks like Laurence is conjuring up images from his public school days 

E9AAQXvXIAUX6Wk?format=jpg&name=small

That's the second time in two days I've seen someone share a tweet of his extolling the virtues of masculinity. You'd swear he was a SAS commander rather than someone who pretends to be other people for a living.

2 minutes ago, Em City said:

Eamonn Holmes should be cancelled.

By cannon.

That's the second time in two days I've seen someone share a tweet of his extolling the virtues of masculinity. You'd swear he was a SAS commander rather than someone who pretends to be other people for a living.

He was in a few episodes of Ultimate Force with Ross Kemp about 20 years ago so thinks he's hard. 

33 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

“Jamie fackin’ Oliver isn’t even from fackin’ Naples, mate. And as for Rick Stein, Cornish nationalists blew up his fackin’ restaurant for pushing up house prices.”

Top levels of ridiculousness. 

What an absolute fucking dope.

I saw an interview with Nisha Katona (the founder of Mowgli) a while back and she was talking about a series she'd done on Italian food.  She was saying - quite rightly - that it was good that they didn't just say "she's Indian; she can do a show on Indian food".  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

What an absolute fucking dope.

I saw an interview with Nisha Katona (the founder of Mowgli) a while back and she was talking about a series she'd done on Italian food.  She was saying - quite rightly - that it was good that they didn't just say "she's Indian; she can do a show on Indian food".  

Absolutely, what’s wrong with someone from any background sharing their passion for something from another culture as long as it’s done in a respectful way. As it states in the tweet, it does a disservice to the real fight against racism and increasing intolerance. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

Absolutely, what’s wrong with someone from any background sharing their passion for something from another culture as long as it’s done in a respectful way. As it states in the tweet, it does a disservice to the real fight against racism and increasing intolerance. 

I think it’s the idea that white privilege means the white person is more likely to get published and expose on the back of ‘cultural appropriation’ and benefit from using another cultures history and cuisine for financial gain and expose, whilst those native to the country will be passed over for more recognisable/photogenic people despite it being their cultural lineage and, you’d hope, being better and more knowledgeable about it.

Its an argument that has merit, but is being vastly overblown by dickheads on Twitter and so forth.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think it’s the idea that white privilege means the white person is more likely to get published and expose on the back of ‘cultural appropriation’ and benefit from using another cultures history and cuisine for financial gain and expose, whilst those native to the country will be passed over for more recognisable/photogenic people despite it being their cultural lineage and, you’d hope, being better and more knowledgeable about it.

Its an argument that has merit, but is being vastly overblown by dickheads on Twitter and so forth.  

Is there any evidence of this happening? Like the publisher of this book turning someone down? Because I think they were called racist for publishing a book. And she was called racist for writing it.  

Jamie Oliver has basically made a living out of riding around Sicily on a vespa and stealing recipes off old women who can't understand him. I mean his restaurant was actually called Jamie's Italian.

That being said, if I go to a Chinese restaurant and I find out it's a Caucasian in the kitchen I'm walking out, not for cultural appropriation reasons but for assumed inferior quality reasons, there are ancient secrets in the East which we're not all of us privy to.

Is that racist in its own way? Possibly, but legitimate dim sum is a hill I'm prepared to be at least maimed on.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Jamie Oliver has basically made a living out of riding around Sicily on a vespa and stealing recipes off old women who can't understand him. I mean his restaurant was actually called Jamie's Italian.

That being said, if I go to a Chinese restaurant and I find out it's a Caucasian in the kitchen I'm walking out, not for cultural appropriation reasons but for assumed inferior quality reasons, there are ancient secrets in the East which we're not all of us privy to.

Is that racist in its own way? Possibly, but legitimate dim sum is a hill I'm prepared to be at least maimed on.

426AEA0A-4D12-4E84-AC99-B5E2818F3C1F.jpeg

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Is there any evidence of this happening? Like the publisher of this book turning someone down? Because I think they were called racist for publishing a book. And she was called racist for writing it.  

It’s difficult to quantify as any excuse could be made for not publishing, lots of legitimate reasons of course. There are anecdotal reports though, yes. You only need look at who gets their gurning mug on the front of cook books to see something amiss. 

That above is the hyper sensitive internet hive mind striking again and does nobody any favours.

But if you look at the cook books published, or the restaurant’s opened you will, in the main, find the most successful (financially) are owned by non natives who have appropriated for financial gain.

I can’t send you the link as it’s a word document, but google 20 examples of cultural appropriation in the food world, it’s the first link, and it’ll show you some of the most egregious.

55 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

You don't think there is some legitimacy to Bruce's argument or do you insist on taking the extreme view on everything? 

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The argument you put probably does have some validity (provided it's supported by evidence). That helmet has extrapolated it to "white people shouldn't be writing about 'non-white' food" which is bollocks.

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The argument you put probably does have some validity (provided it's supported by evidence). That helmet has extrapolated it to "white people shouldn't be writing about 'non-white' food" which is bollocks.

Yep and article #78979879857298378957982739857298375987239875897 in the account for the prosecution on why prolonged exposure to the internet makes you stoopid.

It's also happening in film jounalism where there is a big push for only black critics to write about 'black' films and Asian to write about 'Asian' etc.

That which brings us together will eventualy divide us or some other pithy nonsense...

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You don't think there is some legitimacy to Bruce's argument or do you insist on taking the extreme view on everything? 

Who’s taking an extreme view? His argument is Asian cooking belongs to Asians and no one else should write about it in case it steals nonexistent money from potential authors.  I’m asking for evidence. As is AoT. 

19 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Come on mate you can buy MSG on Amazon