You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

There’s a real thirst to see people lose their livelihoods these days isn’t there. What a strange world we live in.

It’s an odd one isn’t it. Should there then be a list of ‘approved jobs’ that transgressors are allowed to do or should they be forced into a lifetime of unemployment?

And then given more shit for being scroungers. Difficult conundrum.

On 12/06/2021 at 09:55, Bobby Hundreds said:

I doubt there's many people around who couldn't be cancelled for something they have said or done in the past. I believe in equality for people's rights, hate should always be challenged but I kind of also don't want to live in a world of the perfectly behaved, a world of opinion that's been shaped by policing thoughts and with a massive back log of amazing art from movies to music that have been erased from history because their language or portrayals don't reflect the acceptable standards of today. It should never be a free for all, there should always be a sense of what's acceptable and what isnt, political correctness is a good thing but the mob demand for punishment at anything that even scratches at people's sensibilities isn't healthy.

Context as always is everything. I'm against the death penalty I've been asked "if it was your daughter murdered would you want to kill the person who did it" of course I would because I'd want revenge, revenge isnt Justice. You'd say 5 years in prison to a burglar until they robbed your house and then you'd say 30 years some would say "death penalty". You don't let the angry deal out justice you need calmer minds, the facts and perspective. The online outrage and mob demand for punishment from ordinary people and media outlets is letting angry heads deal out punishment, I just don't agree with it.

It's a cancel culture thread so I'm commenting on that but the racism issue is much more concerning it feels like racists have now found confidence and platforms to spew their bile. Undoubtedly its just a veil that's been lifted a little that my white eyes can now see what's been clear as shit to black people and other races always but still even my ignorance to it being brushed away feels like it's the wrong direction, you can only hope seeing things for how they really are is the first step to fixing what's wrong. Well you'd like to think so but we let fucking psychopaths run our countries.

I am pretty sure I would have fallen under that first sentence at some time or other. Unfortunately social media gives a platform to ignorant individuals on both sides and the world is worse for it.

47 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

I am pretty sure I would have fallen under that first sentence at some time or other. Unfortunately social media gives a platform to ignorant individuals on both sides and the world is worse for it.

It does and it’s all very well people saying it’s only a tiny minority of foaming at the mouth randoms on Twitter engaging in this behaviour but the fact is it’s projected onto the real world with real life changing consequences.

12 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The media should reflect on why the players had to stand around Eriksen for some fucking dignity to be shown and then take responsibility

This.

I'm also prepared to cut Ash Sarkar some slack here. She probably, on reflection, wouldn't insist on people losing their livelihoods; sometimes people tweet shit they don't literally mean. Fortunately, she has no reach beyond the navel-gazers who follow UK political media, so her tweet has no consequences. 

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This.

I'm also prepared to cut Ash Sarkar some slack here. She probably, on reflection, wouldn't insist on people losing their livelihoods; sometimes people tweet shit they don't literally mean. Fortunately, she has no reach beyond the navel-gazers who follow UK political media, so her tweet has no consequences. 

I’d guess they stood around so the fans couldn’t see.  

38 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This.

To be fair, it’s not the first time she’s insisted people lose their jobs for something she doesn’t agree with. 

I also think you are fooling yourself in that she didn’t mean it. She’s always doing it. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Skidfingers McGonical said:

To be fair, it’s not the first time she’s insisted people lose their jobs for something she doesn’t agree with. 

I also think you are fooling yourself in that she didn’t mean it. She’s always doing it. 

To be fair I think she's got a point, totally insensitive and unprofessional be the BBC.Contrast how quick they were to throw a shield around one of their own

• Upvote 2

I'm no fan of Ash Sarkar, but I'm slightly surprised by the response from some on here to her comments. Does anyone really take issue with her complaint about the cold, voyeuristic attitude of the camera operators/producers, given what they were showing? As for her calling for sackings, I'd brush that off as an emotive response, the same type of response that we see on here and all over social media for far more trivial things than what got Ash wound up yesterday.

I'm also struggling to see how, whatever I might think of her comments, they are part of a 'cancel culture', at least in so far as I understand the term.

Strange thing for her to be fuming about, is there any suggestion that the producer/camera operator was trying to sensationalise what was going on, or that it was all just in the moment and nobody knew what was really happening? Not quite the same as someone from the S*n blagging their way into a funeral or hospital ward or the likes. Smacks of 'MSM are the devil' type spiel. Also, I don't know if Wikipedia got her details wrong, but what in god's name is a libertarian communist when it's at home? Fuck me, I need a narrow boat. 

19 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Strange thing for her to be fuming about, is there any suggestion that the producer/camera operator was trying to sensationalise what was going on, or that it was all just in the moment and nobody knew what was really happening? Not quite the same as someone from the S*n blagging their way into a funeral or hospital ward or the likes. Smacks of 'MSM are the devil' type spiel. Also, I don't know if Wikipedia got her details wrong, but what in god's name is a libertarian communist when it's at home? Fuck me, I need a narrow boat. 

What I find strange is that anyone would single her out for 'fuming' about it. Twitter was ablaze last night with people, across the political spectrum (some no doubt with their own agendas...) condemning the footage.

I watched the situation unfolding, and it became clear pretty early on that Erikson was fighting for his life, as the cameras started zooming in on the protective shield his teammates, some of them in tears, drew around him, trying to find a chink in that shield so we could see possibly his last breaths. They were showing us the medics doing chest compressions and using defibrillators FFS! It was at that point I'd had enough and stopped watching. I've since heard that they also proceeded to show his wife, distraught and confused, being consoled while the medics were trying to revive him.

At what point do you think the producers might have said "we know something bad is going on here, let's leave it"?

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Not strange at all.  She was watching football and tweeting about it.  She saw something horrible and tweeted about it.  Like most people, she was quite rightly appalled at the editorial decision not to cut away from the man who looked like he was dying.

Doesn't Wikipedia have a link to "Libertarian Communism"?  It's worth following, if only to understand why people who argue "she said she's a Communist; she wants to put us all in Stalinist gulags" are such fucking dopes.

18 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

What I find strange is that anyone would single her out for 'fuming' about it. Twitter was ablaze last night with people, across the political spectrum (some no doubt with their own agendas...) condemning the footage.

I watched the situation unfolding, and it became clear pretty early on that Erikson was fighting for his life, as the cameras started zooming in on the protective shield his teammates, some of them in tears, drew around him, trying to find a chink in that shield so we could see possibly his last breaths. They were showing us the medics doing chest compressions and using defibrillators FFS! It was at that point I'd had enough and stopped watching. I've since heard that they also proceeded to show his wife, distraught and confused, being consoled while the medics were trying to revive him.

At what point do you think the producers might have said "we know something bad is going on here, let's leave it"?

Exactly.

Political editor of the daily mirror making a similar point to Ash Sakar, Danish TV took the option of showing a overhead veiw of the stadium.

Maybe their might be something about a left wing asian woman (Sakar) that annoys some people,

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Political editor of the daily mirror asking the same question as Ash Sakar, Danish TV took the option of showing a overhead veiw of the stadium.

Maybe their might be something about a left wing asian woman (Sakar) that annoys some people,

Nothing similar at all. 

Ash is demanding people be fired. Pippa kept it focused on the issue in hand (Eriksson) by not being as aggressively reactive. 

There will be a large element of racism aimed at her at n Twitter etc, don’t imply that’s it’s that way on here though. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

I'm sure the BBC would stay with the pics if someone like Zara Philips fell off her horse and broke her neck. The BBC dos'nt even show an injured horse which falls at a horse race.

I always find the left accuse the BBC of being a Tory Government mouthpiece and the right of it being a Leftie anti establishment cabal. Which suggests to me they’ve probably got the balance about right. Not that I watch much of it in fairness

15 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I always find the left accuse the BBC of being a Tory Government mouthpiece and the right of it being a Leftie anti establishment cabal. Which suggests to me they’ve probably got the balance about right. Not that I watch much of it in fairness

A lot of people make that argument and a lot of people are wrong.