You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

6 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

There is though isn’t there. You honestly don’t think there is a problem with cancel culture and the offended by everything movement. What do you think of the Corden situation?

I don't know anything about it. 

Who are "they" and in what way has he been "cancelled"?

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I don't know anything about it. 

Who are "they" and in what way has he been "cancelled"?

Just looked it up. Someone doesn’t like a segment of his show and started a petition to ask him to drop it. The petition has 12,000 signatures.

I can't even be arsed to shrug.

6 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Justine Sacco ?

All the stuff covered in Jon Ronson's book long predates the term "Cancel Culture"; metaphorical lynch mobs (of the left and right) predate social media.

The current panic about the supposed freedom-stifling effects of "Cancel Culture" is the exact same noise that we've been hearing for the last few decades about "Political Correctness gone mad" - with the same provocateurs crying about an imagined threat, to quash opposition to the bigotry they want to promote.  It pisses me off when I see supposedly intelligent people falling for it and parroting their agenda (like Stronts posting about Corden).

• Upvote 1

I doubt there's many people around who couldn't be cancelled for something they have said or done in the past. I believe in equality for people's rights, hate should always be challenged but I kind of also don't want to live in a world of the perfectly behaved, a world of opinion that's been shaped by policing thoughts and with a massive back log of amazing art from movies to music that have been erased from history because their language or portrayals don't reflect the acceptable standards of today. It should never be a free for all, there should always be a sense of what's acceptable and what isnt, political correctness is a good thing but the mob demand for punishment at anything that even scratches at people's sensibilities isn't healthy.

Context as always is everything. I'm against the death penalty I've been asked "if it was your daughter murdered would you want to kill the person who did it" of course I would because I'd want revenge, revenge isnt Justice. You'd say 5 years in prison to a burglar until they robbed your house and then you'd say 30 years some would say "death penalty". You don't let the angry deal out justice you need calmer minds, the facts and perspective. The online outrage and mob demand for punishment from ordinary people and media outlets is letting angry heads deal out punishment, I just don't agree with it.

It's a cancel culture thread so I'm commenting on that but the racism issue is much more concerning it feels like racists have now found confidence and platforms to spew their bile. Undoubtedly its just a veil that's been lifted a little that my white eyes can now see what's been clear as shit to black people and other races always but still even my ignorance to it being brushed away feels like it's the wrong direction, you can only hope seeing things for how they really are is the first step to fixing what's wrong. Well you'd like to think so but we let fucking psychopaths run our countries.

• Upvote 10

18 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I doubt there's many people around who couldn't be cancelled for something they have said or done in the past. I believe in equality for people's rights, hate should always be challenged but I kind of also don't want to live in a world of the perfectly behaved, a world of opinion that's been shaped by policing thoughts and with a massive back log of amazing art from movies to music that have been erased from history because their language or portrayals don't reflect the acceptable standards of today. It should never be a free for all, there should always be a sense of what's acceptable and what isnt, political correctness is a good thing but the mob demand for punishment at anything that even scratches at people's sensibilities isn't healthy.

Context as always is everything. I'm against the death penalty I've been asked "if it was your daughter murdered would you want to kill the person who did it" of course I would because I'd want revenge, revenge isnt Justice. You'd say 5 years in prison to a burglar until they robbed your house and then you'd say 30 years some would say "death penalty". You don't let the angry deal out justice you need calmer minds, the facts and perspective. The online outrage and mob demand for punishment from ordinary people and media outlets is letting angry heads deal out punishment, I just don't agree with it.

It's a cancel culture thread so I'm commenting on that but the racism issue is much more concerning it feels like racists have now found confidence and platforms to spew their bile. Undoubtedly its just a veil that's been lifted a little that my white eyes can now see what's been clear as shit to black people and other races always but still even my ignorance to it being brushed away feels like it's the wrong direction, you can only hope seeing things for how they really are is the first step to fixing what's wrong. Well you'd like to think so but we let fucking psychopaths run our countries.

Out of rep, but that's an excellent post.

Surely the biggest problem here is that "a few people on Twitter" is used by both sides of any argument as some kind of proof of their opinion.

A quick google suggests that there are 350 million users on Twitter each month, that's only about 4.4% of the entire global population. Of that 4.4% a tiny fringe are the ones massively polarised about any of the things reported, yet it's reported as news or as if it's massively representative of a particular group, i.e. the left or the gay or the trans.

Furthermore, how many of those twitter accounts are just people trolling for whatever purpose, like us playing our Daily Mail game on here for instance and a some of us, including me, being reported on as a "typical Daily Mail reader" when we'd just gone on there to take the piss. 

However, if you're to take Twitter as representative of the world at large then I can say with absolute certainty that all Twitter consists of is pictures of old rally cars, touring cars, artwork and scantily clad young ladies. I can also say categorically that it confirms that Touring Car racing from about 1970 to the mid 90's is the best and most popular form of the sport and that everyone prefers Group B rally cars over anything else.

22 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

All the stuff covered in Jon Ronson's book long predates the term "Cancel Culture"; metaphorical lynch mobs (of the left and right) predate social media.

The current panic about the supposed freedom-stifling effects of "Cancel Culture" is the exact same noise that we've been hearing for the last few decades about "Political Correctness gone mad" - with the same provocateurs crying about an imagined threat, to quash opposition to the bigotry they want to promote.  It pisses me off when I see supposedly intelligent people falling for it and parroting their agenda (like Stronts posting about Corden).

Yep, it's just a buzzword aiming to attribute things that have always existed to a different generation, or a different political position. Manufactured, vicarious adversity for people to kid themselves into thinking they have overcome.

23 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

There is though isn’t there. You honestly don’t think there is a problem with cancel culture and the offended by everything movement. What do you think of the Corden situation?

There is a lot of stuff getting called out when it really shouldn't but I've seen the likes of the daily mail make up stories and publish articles knowing it will get a reaction from the "anti-woke" brigade. I'm glad people are trying to put a stop to racism personally. Hopefully in this country this is the last spike they've got until the fucking little weasels disappear down the sewer they came from. Racism has zero place in society. 

4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Yep, it's just a buzzword aiming to attribute things that have always existed to a different generation, or a different political position. Manufactured, vicarious adversity for people to kid themselves into thinking they have overcome.

"woke" "freedom day" it's all fucking gobshite selfish cunt bollocks 

32 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

A sort of friend of ours  just crowd funded a statue of Emily Davison to put up in the town. He’s a fat bald, middle aged paparazzi by trade but spent his time in lockdown arranging for a statue of a martyr for female democracy. A great example of why you shouldn’t make assumptions about people’s opinions and motivations.  

1FB46E6E-A320-4747-85EA-D2E4B1AF2DDC.jpeg

Getting the horse built as well was a bit insensitive though.

8 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I was gonna say that social media can fucking fuck itself right in it's hateful fucking face but I think how you put things is much more accurate. 

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

They shouldn't be sacked immediately thats a ridiculous response. The media should reflect on why the players had to stand around Eriksen for some fucking dignity to be shown and then take responsibility but the demand for someone to be sacked or face the wrath because something happened that goes against your morality is bullshit. I like Ash Sarka on plenty of things but not every fucking situation is one where you pull out your sword even if you have become to define your self as some kind of Knight of righteousness. Lets admit okay somethings we do are wrong and change them without a price having to be paid. 

Why stop at an immediate sacking? Find those people and stab them in the heart so they can feel what Eriksen felt, why don't we. 

The response to these kinds of mistakes are always so melodramatic. Also, it's the fault of the TV producers who control the telecast surely, not the camera people. 

59 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

There’s a real thirst to see people lose their livelihoods these days isn’t there. What a strange world we live in.

Usually by people who would squeal like stuck pigs if the same rules were used against them.

• Upvote 1