You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You jest, but the notion that only white people can be racist is a cornerstone of Critical Race Theory.

Then critical race theory is bollocks proven just by looking at the world past and present. There's more races than just black and white more countries than Europe and North America. You really don't have to dig deep at all to see racism displayed by people of all races and culture. The Chinese and Japanese aren't don't exactly fair well on that front. Power being abusive is a human trait.

• Upvote 1

“I don’t see myself casting a white dude as the lead in my movie," Peele said. "Not that I don’t like white dudes. But I’ve seen that movie."

In his latest film, "Us," Peele tapped Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong'o and "Black Panther" breakout star Winston Duke to portray the lead roles of a typical mom and dad. He said he realizes he's lucky to now have the power to insist on diverse casts in his movies.

“The way I look at it, I get to cast black people in my movies," Peele explains. "I feel fortunate to be in this position where I can say to Universal, ‘I want to make a $20 million horror movie with a black family.’ And they say yes.”

In fact, Universal's investment in Peele's film is already paying off: In its opening weekend, it pulled in more than $70 million domestically, according to Box Office Mojo, the largest weekend ever for an original horror movie.

Peele says now is the perfect time to change the narrative about what moviegoers want to see on screen.

"It really is one of the best, greatest pieces in this story, is feeling like we are in this time -- a renaissance has happened and proved the myths about representation in the industry are false,” he noted.

Good for him. Have to be a proper weirdo to get upset because a director is able to tell the story they want to.  I doubt it'll last forever, but right now, he has been part of a significant change in the industry so I think it makes sense that he wants to keep pursuing it.

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Lauryn Hill famously said she'd rather die than have white people buy her albums. 

It's bollocks though. Made up by a wingnut dialling into Howard Stern. Both MTV and Hill deny it happened.

"You know, everybody has to be really careful, you know, what they … what they read and hear, because you never know what’s true. You know, a couple of years ago some kid had heard that I’d said that I didn’t want white people to buy my records, and that really, really hurt me a great deal because I like to think my music is really universal, you know, and I’ve been everywhere and I have fans everywhere, but because of some rumor that, you know, some radio personality chose to, you know, to say on his radio show, he had a bunch of people believing something that they’d never seen or never heard themselves but just heard a rumor."

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

It's bollocks though. Made up by a wingnut dialling into Howard Stern. Both MTV and Hill deny it happened.

"You know, everybody has to be really careful, you know, what they … what they read and hear, because you never know what’s true. You know, a couple of years ago some kid had heard that I’d said that I didn’t want white people to buy my records, and that really, really hurt me a great deal because I like to think my music is really universal, you know, and I’ve been everywhere and I have fans everywhere, but because of some rumor that, you know, some radio personality chose to, you know, to say on his radio show, he had a bunch of people believing something that they’d never seen or never heard themselves but just heard a rumor."

Well there you go. I always believed it. Learn something new everyday. 

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You jest, but the notion that only white people can be racist is a cornerstone of Critical Race Theory.

Is it, though?

I can't be arsed scouring the Internet to find evidence of your claim, but I did read through the Wikipedia page on Critical Race Theory and - far from being "a cornerstone" - that idea doesn't get mentioned at all.

Are you quite sure you're not talking bollocks?

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

He never said he didn't want white people in his films he said he probably would have a white person lead his films.

He said he wanted the main characters to be a black family, as he feels they are usually underrepresented as the 'average family' cast in Hollywood films. 

*Shrugs* like I give a fuck. Only a dribbling simpleton would take offence. 

59 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Is it, though?

I can't be arsed scouring the Internet to find evidence of your claim, but I did read through the Wikipedia page on Critical Race Theory and - far from being "a cornerstone" - that idea doesn't get mentioned at all.

Are you quite sure you're not talking bollocks?

Not quite, CRT has a lot of wild shit, most of it from various radicals, boundry pushers/contrians ect, though the more focused academic stuff makes a lot of sense, it's the voices from the fringes that get the most noteriety and airtime.

One idea, that is supported as no original quote has been found, is that 'the right' created the idea that Stronts mentions and flooded social media with it to pollute the discourse. The central idea is systemic racism is very real and how because you (a white person)  are privileged and have agency within the system your aquiesence to this system is inadvertently racist, not too much of a stretch or a bad proposition, but obviously was jumped on by those looking to subvert this shit for their own ends and agenda.

The idea that you cannot be racist to a white person though does appear and has been taken as gospel and cannon for CRT though, it isn't and is an idea from an obscure writer from the 70's and not something that's seriously considered, primarily as its US focused which explains the ease with which it's brushed away as nonsense.

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yes, here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Moof really was an early adopter of the perverted version of Wokeness that is a bastardisation of the original intention and utilsed by the right to shine a light on the lefts fuzzy logic.

CulTuRE waRz.

• Upvote 1

For context, we should include the reasoning he gave for thinking that way, such as it is:

[R]acism requires some historical context. There’s no history of whites being systemically oppressed in this country. White people can’t experience actual, structural racism - so any comments based on their skin colour is ultimately benign. 

7 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Love to Critical Race Theory on a Monday night. Remember 6 or so months ago when nobody had even heard of it?

Touch presumptuous...

Would you like a picture of me with DeRay Mckesson & Brittany Packnett from about five years ago at an event I helped organise?

15 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Touch presumptuous...

Would you like a picture of me with DeRay Mckesson & Brittany Packnett from about five years ago at an event I helped organise?

No I'll take your word for it, but if you really want to don't let me stop you.

I'm sure one or two people had heard of this shit before, but there'd been literally no mention of it in the UK press for two decades, up until very recently. Pretty certain if you searched this forum you'd find zero matches before June last year, too. There's a reason for that.

Just now, Duff Man said:

No I'll take your word for it, but if you really want to don't let me stop you. I'm sure one or two people had heard of it, but there'd been literally been no mention of it in the UK press for two decades, up until very recently. Pretty certain if you searched this forum, you'd find zero matches before June last year, too. There's a reason for that.

We're on the same page don't worry, that's why I jumped in with the clarification of it above.

It has been taken, by those that benifit from disorder and hate, and bastardised to create a divisive narrative which sows discord.

Though you knew that already, right?

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

We're on the same page don't worry, that's why I jumped in with the clarification of it above.

It has been taken, by those that benifit from disorder and hate, and bastardised to create a divisive narrative which sows discord.

Though you knew that already, right?

I believe I did. Was it a fun event, anyway?