You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

Not cancel culture as such, but this has left me absolutely astonished today.

Translator of Amanda Gorman's (the poet from Biden's inauguration) collection into Dutch Marieke Lucas Rijneveld (apparently chosen by Gorman herself) resigned from the assignment under public pressure to hire a translator who is black.

A translator. To translate into Dutch.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/mar/01/amanda-gorman-white-translator-quits-marieke-lucas-rijneveld?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3P_ZtQURRwRzimHr3n7r7B8naoDDZl4UVHLdZLRHsZAP5yJTLLHAtlTuY#Echobox=1614601084

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Not cancel culture as such, but this has left me absolutely astonished today.

Translator of Amanda Gorman's (the poet from Biden's inauguration) collection into Dutch Marieke Lucas Rijneveld (apparently chosen by Gorman herself) resigned from the assignment under public pressure to hire a translator who is black.

A translator. To translate into Dutch.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/mar/01/amanda-gorman-white-translator-quits-marieke-lucas-rijneveld?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3P_ZtQURRwRzimHr3n7r7B8naoDDZl4UVHLdZLRHsZAP5yJTLLHAtlTuY#Echobox=1614601084

Just wait until you find out that Rijneveld identifies as both male and female and uses the personal pronouns they/them. 

Not sure why a Booker winning author was doing translation anyway myself. 

3 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Just wait until you find out that Rijneveld identifies as both male and female and uses the personal pronouns they/them. 

Not sure why a Booker winning author was doing translation anyway myself. 

I know how R identifies, from the article.

And why not? You think that is the issue here?

Just now, SasaS said:

I know how R identifies, from the article.

And why not? You think that is the issue here?

Not at all. I didn't bother reading the article though. I'm outraged* that a Booker winning author was asked to translate into Dutch. You wouldn't get that the other way around. 

*I'm not really outraged 

20 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Not at all. I didn't bother reading the article though. I'm outraged* that a Booker winning author was asked to translate into Dutch. You wouldn't get that the other way around. 

*I'm not really outraged 

Well David Mitchell did a translation from Japanese.

I thought you knew more about the background of the entire story. Without it, it really reads like wokeness or whatever gone mad. What's next, you need to be white, male and a bit of a fascist to translate Pound or Hamsun.

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

true. But what about the white person? Its a fucking minefield mate I'm staying out of it. 

To be honest, unless it's translated by a method and person acceptable in all aspects to every Twitter cunt out there, they can stick the fucking poem up their arses. It's far more important to satisfy some arbitrary quota than have people read and be inspired by something in their own langauge.

Anyway.... thoughts? 

tenor.gif

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-56249556

Ant Middleton axed by C4 over 'personal conduct'

Published
Ant MiddletonIMAGE COPYRIGHTGETTY IMAGES

Channel 4 has said it will not work with Ant Middleton again due to his "personal conduct".

Last year, the SAS: Who Dares Wins star faced criticism over comments about the Black Lives Matter protests and coronavirus.

In a statement, the channel said: "It has become clear that our views and values are not aligned."

Ant Middleton has also posted, saying he's "really excited about the future and what's coming this year".

SAS: Who Dares Wins sees civilians put through gruelling military training exercises to test their physical and mental strength.

The full statement from Channel 4 says: "Ant Middleton will not be taking part in future series of SAS: Who Dares Wins.Following a number of discussions Channel 4 and Minnow Films have had with him in relation to his personal conduct it has become clear that our views and values are not aligned and we will not be working with him again."

The 40-year-old said on social media he had "decided it's time to move on from SAS Who Dares Wins UK".

He added: "Big respect to my fellow DS - it's been a journey I'll never forget. Thanks to everyone that took part and made the show what it is."

"Really excited about the future and what's coming this year."

In June, he apologised after referring to Black Lives Matter protesters as "absolute scum" as he complained about the "extreme left" and the English Defence League's "extreme right" taking to the streets.

Ant Middleton said he was "anti-racist and anti-violence" after deleting the tweet.

40 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Anyway.... thoughts? 

tenor.gif

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-56249556

Ant Middleton axed by C4 over 'personal conduct'

Published
Ant MiddletonIMAGE COPYRIGHTGETTY IMAGES

Channel 4 has said it will not work with Ant Middleton again due to his "personal conduct".

Last year, the SAS: Who Dares Wins star faced criticism over comments about the Black Lives Matter protests and coronavirus.

In a statement, the channel said: "It has become clear that our views and values are not aligned."

Ant Middleton has also posted, saying he's "really excited about the future and what's coming this year".

SAS: Who Dares Wins sees civilians put through gruelling military training exercises to test their physical and mental strength.

The full statement from Channel 4 says: "Ant Middleton will not be taking part in future series of SAS: Who Dares Wins.Following a number of discussions Channel 4 and Minnow Films have had with him in relation to his personal conduct it has become clear that our views and values are not aligned and we will not be working with him again."

The 40-year-old said on social media he had "decided it's time to move on from SAS Who Dares Wins UK".

He added: "Big respect to my fellow DS - it's been a journey I'll never forget. Thanks to everyone that took part and made the show what it is."

"Really excited about the future and what's coming this year."

In June, he apologised after referring to Black Lives Matter protesters as "absolute scum" as he complained about the "extreme left" and the English Defence League's "extreme right" taking to the streets.

Ant Middleton said he was "anti-racist and anti-violence" after deleting the tweet.

<Insert Partridge shrug gif.>