You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

Chris Pratt is apparently a Christian. This news has caused a pile on as some of his views aren’t compatible with the modern world.  People who know him have defended him and have been racially abused for doing so. Zoe Salanda amongst them being called a ‘c***n’. Madness. 

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Twitter mentalism is a Pandora's box, once you unleash it you can't control it, eventually you become the villain. 

Twitter is fucking grim when it comes to politics. The shitshow from some is hideous. There’s a certain corner where if you don’t hate white men (especially if you’re a white man) and you don’t have your pronouns do in your description and a BLM hashtag and pride flag in your name, then you’re not left wing. These new brand of twats have nothing to do with what it means to be left wing. Fucking virus from US universities. 

I'd close twitter. Dont care if there's some good journos to follow or some great bits of it. Its a shitfest of gargantuan proportions. At the very least unless you have the official blue tick and your position is influential in the topic you are talking about then the media shouldn't be able to use twitter as a news source. "Scousers are fuming over such and such" example one fucking weirdos tweet and thats the news. BOLLOCKS.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'd close twitter. Dont care if there's some good journos to follow or some great bits of it. Its a shitfest of gargantuan proportions. At the very least unless you have the official blue tick and your position is influential in the topic you are talking about then the media shouldn't be able to use twitter as a news source. "Scousers are fuming over such and such" example one fucking weirdos tweet and thats the news. BOLLOCKS.

Wouldn't mind just turning it off for a fortnight as an experiment. The rest of them, Facebook etc, as well.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Twitter mentalism is a Pandora's box, once you unleash it you can't control it, eventually you become the villain. 

I read something from one of the parents of a kid killed at Sandyhook, I can’t remember it exactly but it was along the lines of ‘we thought the internet would be amazing, but we aren’t ready for it.  It’s held a mirror up to society and shown how horrible we are’ 

20 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I read something from one of the parents of a kid killed at Sandyhook, I can’t remember it exactly but it was along the lines of ‘we thought the internet would be amazing, but we aren’t ready for it.  It’s held a mirror up to society and shown how horrible we are’ 

I think there's something distinct about Twitter, similar to the comments sections on the likes of the Echo too, which makes it easy  to just drop in, drop a twat bomb, then fuck off again. 

None of it requires any effort, and there's no repercussions for anything you say or do. I have to believe it's not reflective of society at large, merely that it provides an outlet to a lot of angry folks, where as those who can't be arsed are doing something better with their time, gardening or having a wank. 

Still very unclear on what the difference is between Twitter and pretty much any other online forum/community (aside from the numbers, of course). All platforms/sites, even ones designed for a particular group of people such as that Twitter copy all the alt-right dorks joined a few months back, eventually descend into endless bickering and feuds, with people saying the most absurdly hateful things to each other. It's unfortunate, but completely unavoidable, imo, and really, the only reason you hear so much about it happening on Twitter is that it's not just average Joe's like us on the end of it, but thin-skinned celebrity wankers, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont like the media using tweets by random mad people to create a story. Used by the media to set up the idea theres a huge racist backlash and by companies to show their bravado and decency by saying they dont care and will fight for whats right in the meantime it involves just a handful of people and most people either like the advert or dont really care, its an advert. 

We need to stop highlighting and pushing the extreme opinions of a tiny minority because it can have the effect of setting a mood and push people one way the other. Its like the over policing of language it creates a fatigue and backlash, just use common sense. Its weaponised if people aren't immediately sensitive and aware. Most people know when someone is being willingly hateful or ignorant and when someone is just unaware or oblivious. Why can't people just be patient with each other and see that changes take time and we all dont get there at the same time.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The BBC have decided not to play Fairytale of New York unedited, on the grounds that calling people faggots and sluts isn't in the festive spirit.

Needless to say, Fox was triggered.

Absolutely superb response 

8 minutes ago, SasaS said:

This is more Madness Gone PC thread than Cancel Culture, but it is sad to see, regardless of who is triggered by this nonsense.

Not really sad, though, is it? There's no harm done by only playing the censored version. That song, with its "adult themes" should never be on the radio rotation alongside Shakey and Wizzard.