You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Malala Yousafzai is now being denounced for having a university friend who is a Conservative. She's apparently now a disingenuous careerist who deserved to be shot in the head.

I'll be honest she's always got on my tits. Taking a bullet for NOT wanting to go to school would be far more impressive.

Most posts I can see are supportive of her. I saw the one dying she is a disingenuous careerist but none saying she deserved to be shot in the head. They must all be hiding from me. 

The left really aren't very good at this cancel culture. Just type in 'Corbyn' to see who the expert slanderers are. 

The mad thing about whitewashing (even though I imagine Godot is probably very similar complexion to Northern Greek) you also get "colourblind casting" which is instead seen as progressive, even though it's factuality inaccurate.

These two dudes were in Mary Queen of Scotts in the court of Elizabeth the First. I googled it at the time and thought it'd throw up some interesting historical nugget, but alas no. In real life they were both as white as the pilsbury dough boy.

“I was really clear, I would not direct an all-white period drama,” Rourke said. “Adrian, who plays, Lord Randolph, grew up 40 miles from the birthplace of William Shakespeare; he is one of our eminent Shakespearean actors. I needed to cast an ambassador who could move between the two courts and help this make sense. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t cast him.”

Erm, because it's not factually accurate to the point where it's actually misleading. Initially I'd thought it was legit and that Liz had had a progressive court. 

20201016_073252.jpg

91c7e250-502e-11e9-8617-6babbcfb60eb_image_hires_163920.jpg

36 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The mad thing about whitewashing (even though I imagine Godot is probably very similar complexion to Northern Greek) you also get "colourblind casting" which is instead seen as progressive, even though it's factuality inaccurate.

These two dudes were in Mary Queen of Scotts in the court of Elizabeth the First. I googled it at the time and thought it'd throw up some interesting historical nugget, but alas no. In real life they were both as white as the pilsbury dough boy.

“I was really clear, I would not direct an all-white period drama,” Rourke said. “Adrian, who plays, Lord Randolph, grew up 40 miles from the birthplace of William Shakespeare; he is one of our eminent Shakespearean actors. I needed to cast an ambassador who could move between the two courts and help this make sense. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t cast him.”

Erm, because it's not factually accurate to the point where it's actually misleading. Initially I'd thought it was legit and that Liz had had a progressive court. 

20201016_073252.jpg

91c7e250-502e-11e9-8617-6babbcfb60eb_image_hires_163920.jpg

Isn’t that what Fox said about the WW2 film? There were Indian regiments, but their weren’t individual Indian soldiers in ‘normal’ regiments. So either put a full regiment in the film or don’t put an Indian in the film as it’s inaccurate and done just for show. 

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Isn’t that what Fox said about the WW2 film? There were Indian regiments, but their weren’t individual Indian soldiers in ‘normal’ regiments. So either put a full regiment in the film or don’t put an Indian in the film as it’s inaccurate and done just for show. 

I think that's different. There were Indian soldiers around at that time so I don't have a problem with it, if they'd used an Asian actor to play Field Marshall Haig though that's a different story.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I think that's different. There were Indian soldiers around at that time so I don't have a problem with it, if they'd used an Asian actor to play Field Marshall Haig though that's a different story.

But it’s literally tokenism.  Can’t be arsed to have 100 Indians so just have 1. 

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

But it’s literally tokenism.  Can’t be arsed to have 100 Indians so just have 1. 

It's the narrative of the film, a German pilot lands on his head and shoots his mate too, that probably didn't happen very often in real life. I bet the lines weren't that close together either but it's a 90 minute film.

Soldiers would have been separated from their units and scooped up all the time, private ryan was with some random squad at the end of that film that's why they couldn't find him because he'd got lost when he was parachuting in or some shit.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That's giving Fox waaaaaay too much credit. He knew absolutely nothing of the history and complained as he didn't think there were any Indian soldiers in WW2. Anything else is retrofitting on his part to make himself look marginally less stupid.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

That's giving Fox waaaaaay too much credit. He knew absolutely nothing of the history and complained as he didn't think there were any Indian soldiers in WW2. Anything else is retrofitting on his part to make himself look marginally less stupid.

Yep, amazing really. Presume he had an expensive private education yet supposedly didn't know other races fought on behalf of a global empire in a WORLD war.

My great granddad fought with Gurkhas in Burma, a Japanese soldier was a about to kill him at one point and a bunch of them just came out of nowhere and 'hacked his head off like a coconut'. Tremendous craic.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yep, amazing really. Presume he had an expensive private education yet supposedly didn't know other races fought on behalf of a global empire in a WORLD war.

My great granddad fought with Gurkhas in Burma, a Japanese soldier was a about to kill him at one point and a bunch of them just came out of nowhere and 'hacked his head off like a coconut'. Tremendous craic.

Lucky they did or you wouldn't be posting this!

36 minutes ago, Elite said:

Lucky they did or you wouldn't be posting this!

When you think about it it's a miracle any of us are here really, the average life span a couple of hundred years ago was about 30 I think. My granddad's brother died when he was in his late 20s and his sister when she was nine, death was just absolutely everywhere. That's without factoring in the two world wars, the blitz etc. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

At the age of 13, he was enrolled at Harrow School.[5] He was expelled a few weeks before his A-levels. He was unable to obtain a place at any university, because of a report about him from Harrow.[6] After working as a gardener[6] and as an office worker,[5] he discovered that he preferred acting and enrolled at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA).

Now that the government reckon I should retrain as an actor I should probably get my RADA application in, sounds easy enough. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

When you think about it it's a miracle any of us are here really, the average life span a couple of hundred years ago was about 30 I think. My granddad's brother died when he was in his late 20s and his sister when she was nine, death was just absolutely everywhere. That's without factoring in the two world wars, the blitz etc. 

I'm always amazed that kids managed to survive, especially after the move to towns and cities in the 1800s. When you think of all the trouble you go to to keep bottles and dummies and the like sterile these days, and the conditions of poverty and absolute squalor most would have been brought up in back then, it's a wonder anyone managed to get past infant hood, especially as there were no antibiotics available.

8 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

At the age of 13, he was enrolled at Harrow School.[5] He was expelled a few weeks before his A-levels. He was unable to obtain a place at any university, because of a report about him from Harrow.[6] After working as a gardener[6] and as an office worker,[5] he discovered that he preferred acting and enrolled at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA).

Now that the government reckon I should retrain as an actor I should probably get my RADA application in, sounds easy enough. 

Fucking hell. It's like that clown Toby Young whose dad had to get him into uni by making a few phone calls.

Despite having everything going for him since birth, he still almost fucked it up. But no, tis hard work that brings success and poverty means you must be a layabout. 

Just now, Section_31 said:

Fucking hell. It's like that clown Toby Young whose dad had to get him into uni by making a few phone calls despite having everything going for him since birth, he still almost fucked it up.  

But no, tis hard work that brings success and poverty means you must be a layabout. 

Yeah mate, that's why families were so large years ago as there were so many infant deaths. My great grandmother had 20 pregnancies. I think only 13 made it past childhood my granny was the second oldest but lots died in between.

• Upvote 1