You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

The one that kind of brought it home to me was the prison guard example. 

- women in prison can insist on being searched by women

- men claiming to be women (grifting the system) can insist on being searched by women

- the woman prison guard is then legally bound to handle a penis at work. 

Ive had some shit jobs but...

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You're assuming a scenario in which a person is born paedo; enters the priesthood; and then acts (ironically) like a kid in a sweetshop. If you assume that I also believe in that scenario, then it follows that my advocacy of the abandonment of celibacy is motivated by a search for a cure.

I don't believe in the scenario you're assuming.

I believe that (as is set out in that link you shared) it's much more complicated than that. 

I believe that people who are not allowed to develop a healthy sexuality are more likely to be a danger to children.  It follows that the removal of barriers to the development of a healthy sexuality will help to protect children. 

Just to remind you what you said

"Abandoning celibacy and allowing priests to develop and express their sexuality in a healthy way would be a massive step towards protecting children."

Where is your evidence that stopping enforced celibacy in the RC church would be a massive step towards protecting children? Following on from your logic, one of the causes of child abuse is the inability to access a healthy sex life, where is the proof of this? They may not be able to pursue a normal sex life due their condition, I get that, but that option outside the church is open to them.

Think about it, a paedophile priest, christian brother or whatever is told that from Monday the RC church allows him to have sex with whoever it is legal to do so, in fact encourages him and provides advice how to have a healthy time of it. According to you there is a good chance that will stop him being a paedophile. Again, where is your evidence of this?

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You're assuming a scenario in which a person is born paedo...

I don't believe in the scenario you're assuming.

I believe that (as is set out in that link you shared) it's much more complicated than that. 

I'm assuming you didn't read this, so I've edited it for you. 

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm assuming you didn't read this, so I've edited it for you. 

The reasons for paedophilia are indeed complicated, i dont deny that. 

I am calling out your statement and asking for evidence. If I came out with an opinion that you disagreed with you would ask for evidence to back it up, its what you do. Can you back up your statement?

28 minutes ago, A Red said:

The reasons for paedophilia are indeed complicated, i dont deny that. 

I am calling out your statement and asking for evidence. If I came out with an opinion that you disagreed with you would ask for evidence to back it up, its what you do. Can you back up your statement?

You're not calling out my statement.  You're misunderstanding/ misrepresenting my statement. 

Removing the obligation for celibacy is not a "cure" for paedophilia. 

Putting restrictions on a person's ability to develop a healthy sexuality (such as forcing them into a life of denying their sexuality) can be a factor in their subsequent sexual behaviour.

15 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You're not calling out my statement.  You're misunderstanding/ misrepresenting my statement. 

Removing the obligation for celibacy is not a "cure" for paedophilia. 

Putting restrictions on a person's ability to develop a healthy sexuality (such as forcing them into a life of denying their sexuality) can be a factor in their subsequent sexual behaviour.

"Abandoning celibacy and allowing priests to develop and express their sexuality in a healthy way would be a massive step towards protecting children."

You are ducking and diving

I can only read it one way, the removal of celibacy would stop many children being abused by church paedophiles

Do you have evidence for this?

10 minutes ago, A Red said:

I can only read it one way, the removal of celibacy would stop many children being abused by church paedophiles

Maybe if you ask him 400 more times you'll get a different answer, eh?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He's anti-Catholic. He just wants someone to admit that the Catholic church is full of incurable paedos. 

I'm not but good point! There are and have been child abusers in non RC churches which do not insist on celibacy. Plenty of them, its not difficult to find.

Thanks

30 minutes ago, A Red said:

Seeing as AoT won't answer you'll just have to provide evidence to the contrary and then maybe this thread can get back on track slagging off leftie cancellers.

I actually think there could be a germ of truth to what AoT says. Removing the requirement for celibacy may direct some priests away from unhealthy sexual urges towards more healthy ones.

Nevertheless, I do think the large majority of child abusing priests are drawn to that occupation for the opportunities it provides.

38 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I actually think there could be a germ of truth to what AoT says. Removing the requirement for celibacy may direct some priests away from unhealthy sexual urges towards more healthy ones.

Nevertheless, I do think the large majority of child abusing priests are drawn to that occupation for the opportunities it provides.

And the protection they know it provides if they get caught.   Bored of shagging the Same old kids? Tell the bishop your sins and he’ll provide you with fresh meat.  

1 hour ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I wouldnt say 'large majority' because I suspect the large majority of Catholic priests arent paedophiles at all.