You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

11 minutes ago, A Red said:

So you have no evidence that celibacy increases the risk of being a paedophile. 

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/view/psychopathology-and-personality-traits-pedophiles

No mention of celibacy

You should read that. There's a fair bit that backs up the stuff I've been saying and nothing to support the idea of a paedo hatching a 7-year plan to get at kids.

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

How do you help someone develop a healthy sexuality? And for that matter, what is a "healthy sexuality"?

A healthy sexuality is one where you're attracted to adult humans, for consensual shenanigans.

I don't know how you would help someone develop that: I do know that preventing someone from developing it - by hammering home the message that that sort of thing might be OK for some people, but it's sinful and transgressive for you - is not the best way to protect anyone.

17 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You should read that. There's a fair bit that backs up the stuff I've been saying and nothing to support the idea of a paedo hatching a 7-year plan to get at kids.

I have read it, it gives reasons why people become paedophiles and the possible treatments. Nowhere is there mention of celibacy. If there was the removal of celibacy would be included. Its not mentioned because it is irrelevant.

Your argument that stopping priests being celibate will greatly reduce the risk of children being abused is just your opinion and has no evidence at all. 

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

A healthy sexuality is one where you're attracted to adult humans, for consensual shenanigans.

I don't know how you would help someone develop that: I do know that preventing someone from developing it - by hammering home the message that that sort of thing might be OK for some people, but it's sinful and transgressive for you - is not the best way to protect anyone.

The problem with Catholic Church isn't so much the sexuality of the clergy, but acceptance of sexuality outside of marriage. Priests are not forbidden to have sex, they are just forbidden to marry. Everybody is forbidden to have sex if they are not married. So the church should start with allowing clergy to marry, which would be easier than to change the dogma itself.

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm glad you have now held back from going on to say it causes paedophilia. 

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Lay people do it too. Choir masters, altar boys not just priests. Although after 7 years tuition they are far, far better.  

Women commit sexual abuse at much lower rates than men.  Introducing men to women only spaces increases the risk massively. There’s no evidence to say TW commit violence and sexual violence at a lower rate than men. Or even at the rate of women.  Ignoring that is just emperors new clothes thinking.  

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Lay people do it too. Choir masters, altar boys not just priests. Although after 7 years tuition they are far, far better.  

The idea that predators put themselves into positions of power over children as a means of getting access to children is plausible. 

The idea that anyone becomes a priest or a teacher for that purpose is much less plausible.  Why would anyone go to that much effort to achieve what they could get just by learning to tie a woggle?

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Women commit sexual abuse at much lower rates than men.  Introducing men to women only spaces increases the risk massively. There’s no evidence to say TW commit violence and sexual violence at a lower rate than men. Or even at the rate of women.  Ignoring that is just emperors new clothes thinking.  

And we're back!

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

What are the rates for trans women?

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

What are the rates for trans women?

I don’t think the data is collected in the U.K.   But Canadian prisons are seeing lots of violent sex offenders decide they are women and moving prisons.  

This is worth a read. 

https://www.womenarehuman.com/the-alarm-has-been-sounded-whos-going-to-respond/

Scary

The issue of transfers is not just about Harks, though. In a meeting on May 23, 2019 with stakeholders about transfers from men’s prisons to women’s prisons, former Deputy Commissioner for Women, Kelly Blanchette, reported that of all transfer requests from men’s prisons, 50 percent came from sex offenders who offended as men. 50 percent! This number overrepresents sex offenders who account for 20 percent of the male prison population overall. Male rapists and pedophiles just got permission from the Canadian Government to gain access to their victims. For context, only two percent of women prisoners are convicted of sexual crimes, in many cases for facilitating men’s access to victims. Kind of like the Canadian Government… Continue reading The alarm has been sounded, who’s going to respond? | Women Are Human. Read more at: https://www.womenarehuman.com/the-alarm-has-been-sounded-whos-going-to-respond/

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You had me at "I don't think the data is collected".

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You had me at "I don't think the data is collected".

In the U.K. it’s collected under sex.  So someone before they have their cert would be their birth sex.  

29 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Why would I say that? Why would anyone say that?

Because you said this

"Abandoning celibacy and allowing priests to develop and express their sexuality in a healthy way would be a massive step towards protecting children."

There is zero evidence of this. Where is your proof? Paedophiles are sick people with predisposed mental conditions or abused backgrounds. Allowing them access to a healthy sex life, as many do have, will do fuck all to cure them.

35 minutes ago, A Red said:

Because you said this

"Abandoning celibacy and allowing priests to develop and express their sexuality in a healthy way would be a massive step towards protecting children."

There is zero evidence of this. Where is your proof? Paedophiles are sick people with predisposed mental conditions or abused backgrounds. Allowing them access to a healthy sex life, as many do have, will do fuck all to cure them.

You're assuming a scenario in which a person is born paedo; enters the priesthood; and then acts (ironically) like a kid in a sweetshop. If you assume that I also believe in that scenario, then it follows that my advocacy of the abandonment of celibacy is motivated by a search for a cure.

I don't believe in the scenario you're assuming.

I believe that (as is set out in that link you shared) it's much more complicated than that. 

I believe that people who are not allowed to develop a healthy sexuality are more likely to be a danger to children.  It follows that the removal of barriers to the development of a healthy sexuality will help to protect children.