You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

31 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Fucking hell Mal. 

Predators 100% are attracted to the Catholic Church for easy access to children and the protection it will give them. 

Predators who want access to children can find far easier ways than 7 years of study. 

Claiming that devious predators are sneaking into the priesthood lets the Catholic Church off the hook.

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Predators who want access to children can find far easier ways than 7 years of study. 

Claiming that devious predators are sneaking into the priesthood lets the Catholic Church off the hook.

That bald fella in Prince of Thieves definitely only got into it for the young boys. Horrible bastard him. 

18 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

No it doesn’t. Not in the slightest. 

The Catholic Church have been an absolute fucking disgrace over their handling of sexual abuse. That’s exactly why predators are attracted to it. 

Spotlight is a good film, true story, and there's a bloke in it they interview who's devised an algorithm that can predict how many priests in a given area are going to be paedophiles. He says it's a 'distinct' psychological condition that's specific to catholic priests and possibly something to do with celibacy and secrecy (young priests who have legitimate (adult) girlfriends and share a priest house, but don't grass on each other when they nip out at night for a bit of how's your father). 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Spotlight is a good film, true story, and there's a bloke in it they interview who's devised an algorithm that can predict how many priests in a given area are going to be paedophiles. He says it's a 'distinct' psychological condition that's specific to catholic priests and possibly something to do with celibacy and secrecy (young priests who have legitimate (adult) girlfriends and share a priest house, but don't grass on each other when they nip out at night for a bit of how's your father). 

Not sexy kids then? I feel lied to.  

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

No it doesn’t. Not in the slightest. 

The Catholic Church have been an absolute fucking disgrace over their handling of sexual abuse. That’s exactly why predators are attracted to it. 

I don't think it's that predators are drawn to the priesthood; it's that the priesthood fosters predatory behaviour 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Abandoning celibacy and allowing priests to develop and express their sexuality in a healthy way would be a massive step towards protecting children. 

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I don't think it's that predators are drawn to the priesthood; it's that the priesthood fosters predatory behaviour 

It is complete nonsense to suggest that paedophiles are not attracted to professions that gives them access to children. The time taken to qualify in roles such as priests and teachers is completely irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Abandoning celibacy and allowing priests to develop and express their sexuality in a healthy way would be a massive step towards protecting children. 

You think the ability for a paedophile to have "healthy" sex stops them from being paedophiles? Really?

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think it would help develop mature views on sexual behaviour as a whole. Somebody on here shagged their stuffed Postman Pat toy because they'd been starved of sex for 5 minutes.

I think it is completely silly that the RC church requires Priests to be celibate. It is equally silly for AoT to suggest that being able to have "healthy" sex somehow stops someone being a paedophile

1 minute ago, A Red said:

I think it is completely silly that the RC church requires Priests to be celibate. It is equally silly for AoT to suggest that being able to have "healthy" sex somehow stops someone being a paedophile

I'd agree with the first point completely but believe AoT has a point. The age that priests begin their training is slap bang in the middle of a teenager's hormone crazy stage. It wouldn't stop everybody but it would certainly help. And 7 years is a long time to hold it in,you could become a f**tball coach or teacher much quicker.

11 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd agree with the first point completely but believe AoT has a point. The age that priests begin their training is slap bang in the middle of a teenager's hormone crazy stage. It wouldn't stop everybody but it would certainly help. And 7 years is a long time to hold it in,you could become a f**tball coach or teacher much quicker.

Complete rubbish. Do you have any evidence that suggests someone that is a paedophile would have been less likely to be one if they'd had access to legal sex?

49 minutes ago, A Red said:

It is complete nonsense to suggest that paedophiles are not attracted to professions that gives them access to children. The time taken to qualify in roles such as priests and teachers is completely irrelevant.

You can't dismiss something as nonsense if your counter-argument is truly absurd.

30 minutes ago, A Red said:

I never said that.  I said it would help people to develop a healthy sexuality.

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I never said that.  I said it would help people to develop a healthy sexuality.

You said -

"Abandoning celibacy and allowing priests to develop and express their sexuality in a healthy way would be a massive step towards protecting children."

How would it?

1 minute ago, A Red said:

Ok, do you have any evidence that you base your claim on? 

There is evidence that human sexuality develops over time. There is evidence that the Catholic Church actively discourages all sexuality on the part of the clergy: falling in love with a parishioner is treated as equally transgressive as raping a child.  Young men join the priesthood for a variety of reasons - to serve God, to gain status in the community, to please their family, because it is "expected" of them, etc. I think I'm right in saying that a lot of paedophile acts are committed by damaged people. It's not a great leap of imagination to see these young priests, floundering and failing to deal with their developing sexuality (and finding no understanding or support whatsoever from the Church) being consumed with a sense of failure and self-loathing, which manifests itself in a self-destructive act of debasement: the very act that is reinforced by negative suggestion, from the day they first consider joining the priesthood. 

I'd be very surprised if there was any evidence that anyone has ever thought "I like raping children. I think I'll become a priest so I can do it sometime next decade". That notion is genuinely absurd. 

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

There is evidence that human sexuality develops over time. There is evidence that the Catholic Church actively discourages all sexuality on the part of the clergy: falling in love with a parishioner is treated as equally transgressive as raping a child.  Young men join the priesthood for a variety of reasons - to serve God, to gain status in the community, to please their family, because it is "expected" of them, etc. I think I'm right in saying that a lot of paedophile acts are committed by damaged people. It's not a great leap of imagination to see these young priests, floundering and failing to deal with their developing sexuality (and finding no understanding or support whatsoever from the Church) being consumed with a sense of failure and self-loathing, which manifests itself in a self-destructive act of debasement: the very act that is reinforced by negative suggestion, from the day they first consider joining the priesthood. 

I'd be very surprised if there was any evidence that anyone has ever thought "I like raping children. I think I'll become a priest so I can do it sometime next decade". That notion is genuinely absurd. 

So you have no evidence that celibacy increases the risk of being a paedophile. 

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/view/psychopathology-and-personality-traits-pedophiles

No mention of celibacy