You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

And on the other hand you have Roman Polanski who admitted to bumming a child and is the darling of the media.  Or the Canadian PM who dressed in blackface a few times and is a champion of the work left. 

Polanski is hardly the darling of the media, and PM got a lot of stick over the blackface thing.

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Polanski is hardly the darling of the media, and PM got a lot of stick over the blackface thing.

He’s won multiple awards and has actors and actresses fawning all over him.  The PM got stick for a week, maybe two.  He’s still the PM. David Walliams got more still during BLM than the actual PM. 

Edit: 3 oscars 3 BAFTA’s and 6 golden globes since he bummed a kid. 

4 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I think it is a bit different comparing someone talking bollocks on twitter with someone accused of molesting their underaged step daughter.

Woody more fits in the Polanski, how to separate the artist from the man kind of cancelling, rather than the free speech kind.

It is actually the same principle, same mechanisms. You are accused of something, you say something, you defend someone who gets accused. It is all part of the same neo-totalitarianism and it is getting worse every year and it will continue to do so. 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

He’s won multiple awards and has actors and actresses fawning all over him.  The PM got stick for a week, maybe two.  He’s still the PM. David Walliams got more still during BLM than the actual PM. 

I remember the cumbag getting a standing Ovation for his Oscar win. 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Edit: 3 oscars 3 BAFTA’s and 6 golden globes since he bummed a kid. 

That's a bit apples and oranges on Polanski.

36 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

So you didn’t read it? There’s a theme here. 

You don’t have to agree with it, but moaning about people being bothered enough about it to want it to stop seems a bit stupid. 

Maybe you dont see any danger in accusing someone of being a Nazi for expressing a very benign opinion. Especially when they haven’t read that opinion. Oh, hold on a second...

To borrow a catchphrase 'sigh'. I have read the letter and you've taken my facetious post as being literal. Don't worry I won't hold it against you and suggest a scrap in Berlin.

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

That's a bit apples and oranges on Polanski.

Sorry, my point is that people are given passes. Cancel culture is more about silencing those people that are deemed problematic.  If you are deemed ‘ok’ it’s much harder to get cancelled.  

Can thoroughly recommend this book on the subject. Though I believe he was once slightly brisk with a waitress who asked him if he was having a good day, so he’s a total cunt exemplar of smug white power and I stopped reading after such and such line I didn’t agree with.

7268E0A3-D794-4E1A-B23F-92FD000A7F8F.jpeg

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Can thoroughly recommend this book on the subject. Though I believe he was once slightly brisk with a waitress who asked him if he was having a good day, so he’s a total cunt exemplar of smug white power and I stopped reading after such and such line I didn’t agree with.

7268E0A3-D794-4E1A-B23F-92FD000A7F8F.jpeg

The story of the girl who made the AIDS joke was awful.  Then again they all are. 

• Upvote 1

It’s something done by sad acts looking for attention in the hope that It will be picked up by more mainstream media and they can then achieve some level of fame and ideally be able to carve a career as an ‘activist’. It’s also done in the secret hope that the person they are going after will be made aware of the fact they exist.

The arrogance of these people is astounding. I find it impossible to hear or read about this type of thing without thinking ‘oh shut up you bellend’. 

It’s been said a million times but it’s the truth, social media has given a platform to those who in the past would have been kept inside because they’re dangers.

Why can’t people just mind their own fucking business? 

• Upvote 1

People - and young people especially - feel powerless in the face of traditional political and social systems that seem to lack accountability. The only place they are able to gain any kind of traction is on social media, primarily Twitter. Looking at the BLM movement, I find it heartening that the ubiquity of camera phones, in tandem with social media, has made it easy to identify perpetrators of heinous acts - from racism to police brutality - and the consequences are their own to bear.

The problem is when this drive for accountability becomes reductionist, and starts categorising every act of push back against a held belief as a micro-aggression that denotes an underlying hatred, rather than part of an open discourse that's necessary, and in the benefit of everyone.

This is what develops into cancel culture, and it's in danger of swirling in ever decreasing circles towards an infinitesimally small cabal of overly pious, high horse perched, naval gazing, ivory tower sitting, sniffing their own farts whilst holding pitchforks group of do-gooders who've somehow managed never to stray from an accepted script. Blissfully unaware that by creating a system without degrees, where the punishments for transgressions lack any grading, they are nourishing the overly simplistic feedback model that enables - and indeed emboldens - populism and all the evils associated with it to flourish. 

• Upvote 6

On 10/07/2020 at 17:39, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I've read this thread and I while I understand all the words in every sentence in isolation, I have no idea what any of it means in group form.

Exactly the same. Saw the title of this thread - didn't know what it was about. Read the first post in the thread - still didn't know what it was about. Read the whole thread - still none the wiser.