You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton 1 Liverpool 3 (Jul 8 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Three more points towards the record. That’s what we’re playing for now and we’re almost there. Three wins from four will do it, four wins from four might set a record that will never be beaten.

I didn’t really know what to expect from this game as a lot depended on how Brighton approached it. They were terrific at Anfield earlier in the season and we needed two set-pieces headers from Virg to beat them. Recently though they’ve not been great and they’ve been a bit more defensive.

I suspected they’d sit back and defend in numbers, which would make it a tough game for us if we didn’t score early. They didn’t do that though, they picked an attacking line up and tried to play through us. It backfired spectacularly early on but overall they actually played very well I thought.

Brighton have been given stick for their ‘naive’ approach but I think that’s a bit unfair because this is how they want to play. They stayed true to their principles and were probably more adventurous than I expected. They’re virtually safe now though so the pressure was off them.

I get the argument that they should have adapted their game and not played out from the back because it plays to our strengths, and based on the result that’s an easy thing to say. I understand why Graham Potter did it though, because he did exactly the same at Anfield and I can remember writing after that game how impressed I was at the way they played through our press. 

We couldn’t actually get near them that day, they just went bump bump bump and they’d bypassed our forwards and were in our half every single time.

Unfortunately for them the lack of quality in attack meant they didn’t pose much threat, but I can remember saying how well coached a team they were back then. So Potter knew his team could play through our press and he encouraged them to do so again. This time it didn’t work and they conceded two goals in the opening seven or eight minutes.

It could be that they just made mistakes or it might have been that we pressed differently than the last game which forced those mistakes. There’s usually a player who we target because he’s seen as the least comfortable on the ball. Presumably it will have been Adam Webster or Dale Stephens (who’s a dead ringer for Ricky Gervais by the way) because they never looked comfortable at all. 

Souness was especially annoyed at Brighton’s approach. I can understand why they played like that but I do agree with Souness that Brighton should have eased their way into the game before trying to play so progressively. Knock it long early on or play it out wide early doors. That would have served them much better, but thankfully that’s not what they did.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

I thought Keita was good but he started on the left side of the midfield which means he was also responsible for covering that side a bit and he should share the blame along with Ox about having left Nico to fend for himself.

Dave - u clearly rate Lamptey highly. Why Arsenal and city? Why not us as a standby to Mane? 

• Upvote 1

Great report as usual Dave and I honestly want the record to show we're the greatest team of all time who did not have to financially dope to get where we are. If Liverpool gets this record the City Centurions

becomes even more irrelevant and that record becomes even less spoken about that it is now.

Regarding:

That moment when he dealt with a difficult ball over the top by heading it back over Connolly and collecting it himself before playing a no look pass to Robbo was actually unfair. I don’t think is anyone else who would have even thought of doing that let alone been able to pull it off. He’s fucking ridiculous.

I can totally see Alison doing that and giving us all a heart attack

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tlw content said:

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Three more points towards the record. That’s what we’re playing for now and we’re almost there. Three wins from four will do it, four wins from four might set a record that will never be beaten.

I didn’t really know what to expect from this game as a lot depended on how Brighton approached it. They were terrific at Anfield earlier in the season and we needed two set-pieces headers from Virg to beat them. Recently though they’ve not been great and they’ve been a bit more defensive.

I suspected they’d sit back and defend in numbers, which would make it a tough game for us if we didn’t score early. They didn’t do that though, they picked an attacking line up and tried to play through us. It backfired spectacularly early on but overall they actually played very well I thought.

Brighton have been given stick for their ‘naive’ approach but I think that’s a bit unfair because this is how they want to play. They stayed true to their principles and were probably more adventurous than I expected. They’re virtually safe now though so the pressure was off them.

I get the argument that they should have adapted their game and not played out from the back because it plays to our strengths, and based on the result that’s an easy thing to say. I understand why Graham Potter did it though, because he did exactly the same at Anfield and I can remember writing after that game how impressed I was at the way they played through our press. 

We couldn’t actually get near them that day, they just went bump bump bump and they’d bypassed our forwards and were in our half every single time.

Unfortunately for them the lack of quality in attack meant they didn’t pose much threat, but I can remember saying how well coached a team they were back then. So Potter knew his team could play through our press and he encouraged them to do so again. This time it didn’t work and they conceded two goals in the opening seven or eight minutes.

It could be that they just made mistakes or it might have been that we pressed differently than the last game which forced those mistakes. There’s usually a player who we target because he’s seen as the least comfortable on the ball. Presumably it will have been Adam Webster or Dale Stephens (who’s a dead ringer for Ricky Gervais by the way) because they never looked comfortable at all. 

Souness was especially annoyed at Brighton’s approach. I can understand why they played like that but I do agree with Souness that Brighton should have eased their way into the game before trying to play so progressively. Knock it long early on or play it out wide early doors. That would have served them much better, but thankfully that’s not what they did.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

If Brighton stay in the Premier League with their 'naive, attacking approach' wherea overly defensive teams like West Ham and Bournemouth are relegated then I hope we get more naive, attacking teams in the Premier League that stay up. Brighton made for a very entertaining match and they looked at times like the could get back into the match. The third goal was the K.O.

Oh I want them to beat city's record......because they deserve it and to shove it up Silvas arse.The prick.The disrespectful prick. I'd like to think that some of the players are thinking the same,just to shove it up his hole. Prick.

• Upvote 2

Guest Alex_K
2 hours ago, Pudns said:

Oh I want them to beat city's record......because they deserve it and to shove it up Silvas arse.The prick.The disrespectful prick. I'd like to think that some of the players are thinking the same,just to shove it up his hole. Prick.

Bernardo Silva is an absolute dickhead. See: Twitter post on Mendy (and Sterling’s shameful excusing of it). The recent conduct was just more evidence if ever so needed.

On 09/07/2020 at 15:11, Bad Red Bull said:

I thought Keita was good but he started on the left side of the midfield which means he was also responsible for covering that side a bit and he should share the blame along with Ox about having left Nico to fend for himself.

Dave - u clearly rate Lamptey highly. Why Arsenal and city? Why not us as a standby to Mane? 

Because he's an attacking right back and we have Trent and Neco already.

• dave u unpinned this topic