You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Souness: Salah produced a greedy performance against Brighton 

TLW

Graeme Souness believes that Mo Salah took his greediness to another level against Brighton after Liverpool’s 3-1 win against Brighton.

The Egyptian moved up to third on the Premier League Golden Boot table within three.of Jamie Vardy after scoring a double against the Seagulls which on another day could have been a hat-trick or even more.

As we know football is a team game and that ethos is never more apt in what Jürgen Klopp has built over his tenure.

But it is also fair to say that every World Class forward has a bit of selfishness attached to their game.

Some may call it ego, but to the player themselves they feel they are just doing their job for the team. 

Speaking after the game, Souness felt he had one thing on his mind. 

salah7_600.jpg

"He was at it tonight from the first minute. 

"I think it [the Golden Boot] is important to him. ‘

“They’ve won the league, so he’s done his bit for the team, he’s played his part, he’s got the goals, he’s been fabulous, and he wants that Golden Boot.

Souness felt that on this evening Salah did not look for the best option,  and in turn was upset with his teammates when not given the ball.

“He’s always selfish. 

“I think tonight he was super selfish. He really wants his Golden Boot.

“You’ve seen his reaction when people weren’t finding him late on in the game in the last third.

‘He was shooting at every opportunity.

"And he thinks he’s in a team that creates chances, so he thinks it’s very much still on for him.’

The former Reds captain and manager believes that Salah’s determination to be on the scoresheet can lead to friction‘
“I think Mane has fallen out with him in the past over occasions where he feels he should have passed to him to score a goal and he shot himself. ‘

“So I think there is an element in all goalscorers that they’re greedy at times, but I think he takes it to another level."

View full article

I didn’t think he was too bad last night I’ve seen him a lot worse in fact I thought he was excellent the sharpest I’ve seen him for a while .

I can only think of one occasion yesterday when he went on a run from the half way line when a first time ball would have played Mane in other that that all his attempts on goal were justified.

On the plus side as the stats prove he’s been involved in so many gaols at least you know he’s going to be busting a gut these last four games to win the golden boot which can only help in getting the hundred points 

52 minutes ago, Stickman said:

I didn’t think he was too bad last night I’ve seen him a lot worse in fact I thought he was excellent the sharpest I’ve seen him for a while .

I can only think of one occasion yesterday when he went on a run from the half way line when a first time ball would have played Mane in other that that all his attempts on goal were justified.

On the plus side as the stats prove he’s been involved in so many gaols at least you know he’s going to be busting a gut these last four games to win the golden boot which can only help in getting the hundred points 

I don’t think he was too greedy with the ball, but he was visibly frustrated a few times when the ball didn’t get to him, especially a couple of times Robbo was free down the left.

But he played with a smile on his face too, so there’s nothing to get upset about with it.

the one you mention where he could’ve put Mane in, I agree with you, but he never actually had the ball under control after cheating it. His next touch left it behind. I don’t think he’d have passed it if he had taken a better touch, but as it was the defender was able to come in and block him.

i agree with souness that the golden boot is clearly on his mind, but otherwise nothing to see here

3 hours ago, suzy said:

I don’t think Souness was saying it as a criticism.

That's the impression I got, as a striker there is a certain amount of selfishness required. I'm pretty sure I heard him say that Mané at times was selfish too but Salah was on another level.

He set up Hendo's goal and I think the one time where he definitely could have played Mané in, it would have been one hell of a pass while running at speed.

4 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I’d agree with him and wouldn’t take it as a criticism, given that Salah continues to smash various club goalscoring records. 

I wouldn’t criticise Alisson for wanting to keep clean sheets either. 

Exactly 

He can be frustrating but I want my forwards to want goals goals goals. If anything he only had one chance to put someone else in a better position and he stumbled before it anyway. I still called him a twat at the time but after the replay I got my cock back out. 

2 hours ago, Ron B said:

He failed at Liverpool but on balance he didn’t have a bad managerial career overall. 

Southampton and Newcastle fans would probably beg to disagree.

I am not just having a go at Souness,although I saw a lot of our games when he was manager,but I just hate these money for old rope jobs ex footballers get for largely spouting banal shite most of us who watch it do anyway. Also,what's with Carragher raising and dropping the tone of his voice with almost every sentence when co-commentating? God,its annoying! If it wasnt for my lad having the remote control I would just watch the games with no sound.

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Southampton and Newcastle fans would probably beg to disagree.

Succeeded at Rangers, with a mixture of money and sheer bloody-mindedness. Deserves credit too for ending the ban on signing Catholics. 
Failed at Anfield. 
My Southampton-supporting pals thought he was OK. They were three points and one place better off than they had been a year before, and his signings weren’t bad - the Ali Dia episode looms large of course. 
Blackburn went well. Not everyone does well at Blackburn.
Newcastle went badly. Not many do well at St James. 
His foreign adventures? Mainly notable for signing Dean Saunders over and over again, and for signing a bizarre number of Brits at Benfica. 

3 minutes ago, Ron B said:

Succeeded at Rangers, with a mixture of money and sheer bloody-mindedness. Deserves credit too for ending the ban on signing Catholics. 
Failed at Anfield. 
My Southampton-supporting pals thought he was OK. They were three points and one place better off than they had been a year before, and his signings weren’t bad - the Ali Dia episode looms large of course. 
Blackburn went well. Not everyone does well at Blackburn.
Newcastle went badly. Not many do well at St James. 
His foreign adventures? Mainly notable for signing Dean Saunders over and over again, and for signing a bizarre number of Brits at Benfica. 

More remembered for planting the flag in the centre circle in Turkey.

Aye, that was bonkers. Still, to spend 12 months at a club, win two trophies (albeit not the league, which is what they really wanted), and to deliver an enormous public Fuck You to their biggest rivals... well, that’s OK. There’s probably a pub quiz question somewhere in Barry Venison, Dean Saunders Mike Marsh, and Brad Friedel all playing for them at that time too. 
So Ah ain, for me Souness wasn’t a shocking manager. The only stinkers were Liverpool and Newcastle, whereas Rangers was an undoubted success. The rest was generally either decent or good.