You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Jul 4-6 2020)

tlw content

Another big win for United over a struggling side. This time it was Bournemouth. I have no interest in watching their games unless they lose so I’ve only seen bits and pieces of this one.

Obviously I’ve seen Bournemouth’s opening goal because it was all over Twitter. Maguire nutmegged in his own box and De Gea beaten on his near post. Standard stuff. I only wish Roy Keane had been on punditry duty.

Maguire is so bang average it offends me that not everybody can see it. He’s not bad, he’s just average. Somehow though he’s the world’s most expensive defender and because of that price tag opinions of him seem to just be one over the top extreme to the other. He does something good and he’s Virgil Van Dijk. He makes a fool of himself and he’s Dick Van Dyke.

The truth is he’s neither. He’s James Tarkowski with better PR. If I wanted to be cruel I’d say he’s Michael Keane, but like I say, he’s not shit, he’s just alright. A good Premier League defender but not a great one. 

Leicester sold him and the unknown player they replaced him with has had a better season. That says it all. He has his strengths and in a team like Burnley he’d look great. In a team that is expected to play on the front foot and get men forward though, he’s always going to get exposed now and again because he’s a big lump who can’t move his feet quickly enough when people run at him. 

He was so statuesque when Stanislas skinned him that the next time he takes to the field I expect he’ll have a bunch of far right goons out there ‘protecting him’.

I noticed that Glyfi Fernandez scored another free-kick, but other than that and the Stanislas goal the only other thing I’ve seen from the game was one of the goals by Greenwood. As I said last week, he’s the only player at United worthy of the excessive hype given by their fans. He’s a brilliant talent and he’s literally the only United player I look at and think “Yeah I wouldn’t mind if we had him”.

I’m not saying that none of the others ‘could’ play for us (actually I probably am, as the vast majority of them couldn’t even make the bench), I’m just saying he’s the only one that I’d like to have in our squad. 

The sky is the limit for him but it doesn’t mean that United are necessarily going to be any threat to us. We had Fowler and then Owen and we couldn’t stop United’s dominance. So while I do wish Greenwood was playing for someone other than them, I’m not worried by United for as long as Solskjaer is in charge.

Fucking Bournemouth though. They’re doing my head in now, the West Ham enabling gobshites.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Fucking Bournemouth though. They’re doing my head in now, the West Ham enabling gobshites.

How true. Stop losing games you useless bastards. We all want West Ham and David 'I win, that's what I do' Moyes relegated and your incompetence is stopping that from happening. Plus who else is gonna sign our shit for ridiculous fees?

Very enjoyable review of the weekend. Worth subscribing for this additional content. 

• Upvote 1

One of my pet hates is players not being excited when their team scores, and there was an outrageous example when Shelvey scored for Newcastle. Whoever the plank was who he took the ball from on the penalty spot actually looks pissed off and turns back to the centre circle while everybody else follows Shelvey to celebrate.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, sir roger said:

One of my pet hates is players not being excited when their team scores, and there was an outrageous example when Shelvey scored for Newcastle. Whoever the plank was who he took the ball from on the penalty spot actually looks pissed off and turns back to the centre circle while everybody else follows Shelvey to celebrate.

Dwight Gayle.

• Upvote 1

On 07/07/2020 at 17:14, Tarwater said:

Is there a ceiling on the number of «my boys» possible at any given season?

Be careful. Dave likes to nab other people’s ‘my boys’ as well as having his own.

Levy’s “Let’s change manager so we don’t have to change the whole squad” latest penny-pinching smart-arse idea, then bringing in a manager not only certain to want to change the squad anyway, but passing Pochettino the other way in trajectory on his career downslope, just gets worse with every passing week.

This thing with Solskjaer getting improved results at United/Guardiola looking like staying at City, etc has had me thinking. If Levy had any nuts/humility, could they maybe be in a position to get away with a truly horrific mistake here. I wonder what would happen if he contacted the chubby hamster and said “Hands up. You were right, I was wrong. If I let you sell whoever you want to change up the squad, will you come back?”

• dave u unpinned this topic