You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite non-Premier League team

WhiskeyJar

I only invest my time in Liverpool but, next season, I'll keep an eye on Barrow, home of the Mighty Emlyn as they return to the Football League after a 50 year absence.

I remember them playing in the old Division 4 and regularly having to re apply along with Hartlepool. Was reading they actually finished 3rd bottom the year they got kicked out. Too many clubs didnt fancy the then awkward travel to Barrow and Hereford had just knocked Newcastle out of the cup earlier in the season and were voted in instead.

Emlyn must be looking down with that huge smile on his chops, Liverpool Champions again and home town club Barrow back in the league!

Just now, YorkshireRed said:

Ha, ha. You seem a knowledgeable sort, no chance you’d have any kind of affection for those clowns. 

I’ve said before on here...

My ol fella is a mad Leeds fan. He never once tried to make my brother and I support Leeds as kids, has always wanted Liverpool to do well and is made up for Joe and I whenever we win anything. 

So yeah I do kinda have a soft spot for them and it would be a great end to this season to see them promoted even if it’s just for me dad. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

My ol fella is a mad Leeds fan. He never once tried to make my brother and I support Leeds as kids, has always wanted Liverpool to do well and is made up for Joe and I whenever we win anything. 

So yeah I do kinda have a soft spot for them and it would be a great end to this season to see them promoted even if it’s just for me dad. 

I can’t neg you for that obviously. I have similar reasons for my soft spot for Newcastle.

I still hate them though, apologies Mr LF. Senior. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

We last won the league in 1990. Leeds were last promoted to the top flight in 1990.

• Upvote 1

On 06/07/2020 at 20:13, WhiskeyJar said:

Watching Spurs Vs Everton and I've just realised that other than Liverpool, I really don't follow any other team outside the Premier League. I have family that are fans of Spurs and Arsenal but nothing outside the Premier League. Does anyone have a favourite team outside the Premier League? 

York City as I was born there.

Celtic have always been my second team,even before we signed King Kenny and that delighted me even more at the time.(It might just be the Irish Catholic connection but I'm not certain,although the Lisbon Lions were an influence as a kid.) I used to like following Meadowbank Thistle's results until they folded or were amalgamated into somebody else. Got friends in Germany who support the old Stasi run Dynamo Berlin and have even seen them play a friendly once,but they are probably unlikely to ever challenge for the main leagues. 

11 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Yeah I have a soft spot for Leeds as well Col. When we lived in York my dad was a huge Leeds fan and went to all their home games at a time when their great team of the late 60's early 70's were playing. 

He's more of a Liverpool fan these days due to all of his kids being supporters

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Celtic have always been my second team,even before we signed King Kenny and that delighted me even more at the time.(It might just be the Irish Catholic connection but I'm not certain,although the Lisbon Lions were an influence as a kid.) I used to like following Meadowbank Thistle's results until they folded or were amalgamated into somebody else. Got friends in Germany who support the old Stasi run Dynamo Berlin and have even seen them play a friendly once,but they are probably unlikely to ever challenge for the main leagues. 

Ha, Meadowbank Thistle. Used to be called Ferranti Thistle but had to change the name as the scottish league wouldnt let them in with Ferranti being the company works.

Had to look it up but they're now Livingston FC.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Trumo said:

We last won the league in 1990. Leeds were last promoted to the top flight in 1990.

This fact has been repeated endlessly by my Leeds supporting friends for months now. Unfortunately (not the first bit) it looks like history is about to repeat itself. 

2 hours ago, KMD7 said:

Yeah I have a soft spot for Leeds as well Col. When we lived in York my dad was a huge Leeds fan and went to all their home games at a time when their great team of the late 60's early 70's were playing. 

He's more of a Liverpool fan these days due to all of his kids being supporters

Yeah mate very similar.

I’d say I like to see Leeds do well for him but he was the first person to call me after the Chelsea Vs Man City game and he was going fucking nuts he was so happy we’d won the league. 

ETA: He fucking hates Notts Forest with a passion though. 

4 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Yeah mate very similar.

I’d say I like to see Leeds do well for him but he was the first person to call me after the Chelsea Vs Man City game and he was going fucking nuts he was so happy we’d won the league. 

ETA: He fucking hates Notts Forest with a passion though. 

Ha ha ha why Forest? Not that I blame him like!

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They were big rivals in the 1970s after Clough ditched Leeds and went to Forest and was successful while Leeds floundered.

Of course. Forgot about that.  Rivals when he managed Derby as well

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

He hated Clough before he even came to Leeds. 

He also admits it eats away at him that Forest won the European Cup and Leeds never did. 

A lot of them think they did, or at least think they were cheated out of one. A few dodgy refereeing decisions cost them in the 1975 Final and the bitterness is such that they still sing “Champions of Europe” most weeks as a nod to the belief they were robbed.

For some, certainly not all and I’m not suggesting your Dad holds this belief, the miners strike is part of the reason for the hatred towards Forest.

Many large Leeds supporting communities (not so much in Leeds itself but the surrounding areas) suffering from the hardships of the strike, had difficulties with their Nottinghamshire counterparts who chose to break the strike and return to work. 

Somewhere along the line a jump occurred that the supporters of Nottingham Forest must be blamed. There used to be some very nasty chanting directed at their supporters from Leeds fans for many years after that and, certainly among their supporters of a certain age, that ill feeling still exists. Thankfully it’s nowhere near as fierce as it once was but it’s still there bubbling underneath the surface. 

5 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

A lot of them think they did, or at least think they were cheated out of one. A few dodgy refereeing decisions cost them in the 1975 Final and the bitterness is such that they still sing “Champions of Europe” most weeks as a nod to the belief they were robbed.

For some, certainly not all and I’m not suggesting your Dad holds this belief, the miners strike is part of the reason for the hatred towards Forest.

Many large Leeds supporting communities (not so much in Leeds itself but the surrounding areas) suffering from the hardships of the strike, had difficulties with their Nottinghamshire counterparts who chose to break the strike and return to work. 

Somewhere along the line a jump occurred that the supporters of Nottingham Forest must be blamed. There used to be some very nasty chanting directed at their supporters from Leeds fans for many years after that and, certainly among their supporters of a certain age, that ill feeling still exists. Thankfully it’s nowhere near as fierce as it once was but it’s still there bubbling underneath the surface. 

He’s convinced they should have won the European Cup but won’t claim they have, “you ain’t won it till you’re holding it”. 

It’s not a strike thing either. 

He was a docker and was massively pissed off that Liverpool dockers broke the strike when Avonmouth and Portbury docks were on strike. 

But he loves Liverpool. He just fucking hates Forest. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

We used to sing 'Scabs' at Forest supporters too. Merseyside provided a lot of support towards the Yorkshire mineworkers and hated the Nottinghamshire mineworkers too.

• Like 1

I'll start genuinely supporting a French team soon, probably next season. I crave for a second rooting interest. My ancestry is largely from Brittany and so I'll probably chose a team from that region. Rennes is the biggest contender and I like how they run their club in general anyway. Lorient, Brest and Guingamp are also options. 

28 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'll start genuinely supporting a French team soon, probably next season. I crave for a second rooting interest. My ancestry is largely from Brittany and so I'll probably chose a team from that region. Rennes is the biggest contender and I like how they run their club in general anyway. Lorient, Brest and Guingamp are also options. 

Got to be Brest if only for their great name.