Quantcast
Wright: Firmino is so important to this Liverpool team - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
TLW

Wright: Firmino is so important to this Liverpool team

Recommended Posts

Ian Wright has hailed the overall impact of Roberto Firmino as the introduction of the Brazilian coincided with Liverpool finally being able to the break down a stubborn Aston Villa outfit on Sunday.

Divock Origi replaced the workhorse centre forward in the starting lineup to minimal effect, and with chances at a premium, Jürgen Klopp turned to Firmino and while he did not get on the scoresheet, his subtle movement played a key role in the Sadio Mane strike and that was certainly not lost on the Arsenal legend.

The Echo(via PLP) reported Wright as saying:

“The team is used to him. The team knows what he’s about. The positions he takes up, they’re clever," 

“Even this goal, you could say Villa could’ve got tighter, but his movement opens up a little space for Naby Keita to get the time, and his movement in the box takes the defender away so Sadio Mane can score the goal.

“It’s just clever little movements. He’s so good. What he does is so important to what Liverpool do.

 

"When he’s not playing, it’s so noticeable. No-one else can do what he does.”

 

firmino3_600.jpg

"In terms of Origi, his Liverpool career has been littered by purple patches, with long barren spells in between.

Being a back up to the World class front three Is certainly a difficult task as regular minutes are unlikely to occur unless there is a injury.

When he does get an opportunity like he did against Villa he needs to make the most of it otherwise it will raise questions about his status in the squad like Michael Owen has done.

The former Reds striker feels like his presence dissuaded Klopp going for Timo Werner.

“Origi’s just signed a new contract and Minamino’s only just signed (for the club).

“They are there and they’re fixed but that doesn’t mean you can’t question whether they should be. 

“Origi signing a new long-term deal was almost Liverpool…they were loyal to him weren’t they?

“He’d done what he’d done [in the Champions League] and all of a sudden they they thought he’s done that so you have to give them a new contract.

“That’s now prevented them from going and spending big money on a back-up striker.

“Timo Werner was obviously a player that Liverpool were linked to and he’s eventually gone to Chelsea. 

“I think that type of player would have been brilliant for Liverpool. ‘

“They signed Origi on a long-term contract that virtually ruled out a back-up striker and I’m not sure that they don’t need a better one.’


 


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catch 22 with Bobby.

 

He is the number 9 but doesn't score a lot.

Obviously, this means Mane and Salah score goals, apparently more goals than they might otherwise.

But they aren't strikers, so they miss more than a proper 9 might.

We could literally have been 4 up against Brighton, put the game to bed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, aws said:

He misses loads of chances but we don't seem to perform when he doesn't play. 

What we replace him with is average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Catch 22 with Bobby.

 

He is the number 9 but doesn't score a lot.

Obviously, this means Mane and Salah score goals, apparently more goals than they might otherwise.

But they aren't strikers, so they miss more than a proper 9 might.

We could literally have been 4 up against Brighton, put the game to bed.

 

 

Salah"s been involved in a 100 Premier league goals quicker than any player other than Alan shearer. 

 

Only against villa we were utter shite before firmino came on, whose movement paved the way for manes goal. 

 

You'd think after four years people would get this and not still be talking utter shite about number 9s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, J-V said:

What we replace him with is average.

Origi would score goals as a pure 9 in most other teams. Ings has proven that as well this season and he wasn't pulling up trees when he was coming off the bench here either. It's more of a stylistic issue. It's hard to replace a "false nine" like Firmino who drops deep and has creative responsibilities with players like Origi and Chamberlain, who whilst different, are at their core direct runners with fewer creative attributes. The team has to play differently when they're in the side and it's not an easy adjustment. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spot on this from Ian Wright, pointing out a few things that many on here have done already, but also quite a few people fail completely to see.

 

That said Bobby could and should improve his finishing, always room for improvement.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bobby is ace for half of the time, we can or should find someone competing for his place and is just as good or close to it so he has someone to compete with and up his game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think he needs to be more of the number 9, and less of the false. We keep far too many men behind the ball when attacking, so we really need that 3rd attacker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Horus said:

I do think he needs to be more of the number 9, and less of the false. We keep far too many men behind the ball when attacking, so we really need that 3rd attacker. 


Well we definately disagree then, cause I think he is instrumental to the way we play, and if he played more like a traditional 9 it would mean we’d have to change our system completely. Room for improvement on his finishing yes, change the way he plays it’s a big no from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:


Well we definately disagree then, cause I think he is instrumental to the way we play, and if he played more like a traditional 9 it would mean we’d have to change our system completely. Room for improvement on his finishing yes, change the way he plays it’s a big no from me.

That's fair, we just see things differently. I don't think we need a false 9 when we don't have any midfield runners and can get bogged down 30 yards from goal, but Jurgens paid millions, and I'm posting on a forum...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most overrated player I’ve ever seen play for us. The amount of attacks that break down due to him is unreal yet it all goes ignored because of this unseen work he does for the team. 
 

He’s the ultimate old fashioned hipsters favourite player. Everything’s been said about the players who deliver every week so they pick the least effective player and champion the slightest positive thing just so they can be different. 
 

If he was English with a normal haircut and couldn’t do a karate kick he’d be slaughtered on here. 
 

 

  • Downvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless he bags a couple in the last games this is going to be his worse goal scoring league season - probably significantly so. He hasn't really been on it all year oddly. He'd be hard pressed to score less next season.

 

I don't think the positional comments really bear fruit because he's been playing a similar role for a few years now, but has gone from a 1-in-2 man in all competitions to a 1-in-5. That's pretty drastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Red74 said:

The most overrated player I’ve ever seen play for us. The amount of attacks that break down due to him is unreal yet it all goes ignored because of this unseen work he does for the team. 
 

He’s the ultimate old fashioned hipsters favourite player. Everything’s been said about the players who deliver every week so they pick the least effective player and champion the slightest positive thing just so they can be different. 
 

If he was English with a normal haircut and couldn’t do a karate kick he’d be slaughtered on here. 
 

 

What the fuck are you drinking because I could do with a pint of it. "The most overrated player....."?

 

If he was English, he'd get slaughtered for being English pretty much like Hendo or Oxlaide Chamberlane do on here not because of what he does or doesnt do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Red74 said:

The most overrated player I’ve ever seen play for us. The amount of attacks that break down due to him is unreal yet it all goes ignored because of this unseen work he does for the team. 
 

He’s the ultimate old fashioned hipsters favourite player. Everything’s been said about the players who deliver every week so they pick the least effective player and champion the slightest positive thing just so they can be different. 
 

If he was English with a normal haircut and couldn’t do a karate kick he’d be slaughtered on here. 
 

 

This is funny. You say he's a hipster player as if it's hard to see what he is good at and what his role is. It's really not. He's been here for 5 years, pretty much all of them successful. It's quite clear why he's important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dockers_strike said:

What the fuck are you drinking because I could do with a pint of it. "The most overrated player....."?

 

If he was English, he'd get slaughtered for being English pretty much like Hendo or Oxlaide Chamberlane do on here not because of what he does or doesnt do.

Its probably not as crazy as it sounds. When he's on it he's a great player, but in the here-and-now he's regressed from being a 1-in-2 striker playing the "false 9" type role with Mane & Salah to a 1-in-5 striker playign the "false 9" type role with Mane and Salah. But he's heralded probably more now than ever before as being the lynchpin to the side (you'd probably even find some who think hes our most or 2nd most important player). In that respect you could make an arguement he's over-rated (not to comment myself whether he is or isn't).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

This is funny. You say he's a hipster player as if it's hard to see what he is good at and what his role is. It's really not. He's been here for 5 years, pretty much all of them successful. It's quite clear why he's important. 

He gets classed as a defensive forward now cos he doesn’t deliver going forward. Ultimate hipster language 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

Its probably not as crazy as it sounds. When he's on it he's a great player, but in the here-and-now he's regressed from being a 1-in-2 striker playing the "false 9" type role with Mane & Salah to a 1-in-5 striker playign the "false 9" type role with Mane and Salah. But he's heralded probably more now than ever before as being the lynchpin to the side (you'd probably even find some who think hes our most or 2nd most important player). In that respect you could make an arguement he's over-rated (not to comment myself whether he is or isn't).

I dont know about 'regressed' but he's certainly going through a rough patch. I thought that commentator and mcmanaman talked utter shite when he had that one come back off the post. "What do you think, Stevie, he looks to have a mental block or something?

 

What shite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Red74 said:

He gets classed as a defensive forward now cos he doesn’t deliver going forward. Ultimate hipster language 

No one calls him that outside of Twitter mongs and 15 year old's. That's not a thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just stick a Harry kane In there or Dominic solanke.   You can difnitely take their 39 goals a season and add it to our wide forwards, it would in no way shape or form take from them 

 

250 goals in 3 years is a pathetic return we need a properz number 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont know about 'regressed' but he's certainly going through a rough patch. I thought that commentator and mcmanaman talked utter shite when he had that one come back off the post. "What do you think, Stevie, he looks to have a mental block or something?

 

What shite.

Personally I thought he looked tired before heading to Qatar. He then scored a few after coming back but then trailed off again pretty quickly. He's now actually gone 12 consecutive league games without scoring which is pretty incredible for a striker in a leading team. Hopefully the summer break does him well and he bounces back strongly next year.

 

He is 29 in the autumn and time is not typically kind to Brazilian strikers but then he's not the typical style of Brazilian forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Personally I thought he looked tired before heading to Qatar. He's now actually gone 12 consecutive league games without scoring which is pretty incredible for a striker in a leading team. Hopefully the summer break does him well and he bounces back strongly next year.

 

He is 29 in the autumn and time is not typically kind to Brazilian strikers but then he's not the typical style of Brazilian forward.

He’s looking worse now after the Covid break.so I don’t think it’s exhaustion, I think it’s possibly complacency. He probably feels that his place is pretty much guaranteed. We desperately need competition for that no 9 role, and if Minamino isn’t going to be it then we need someone else who will be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He’s looking worse now after the Covid break.so I don’t think it’s exhaustion, I think it’s possibly complacency. He probably feels that his place is pretty much guaranteed. We desperately need competition for that no 9 role, and if Minamino isn’t going to be it then we need someone else who will be. 

Yes could be. Whatever the reason, it needs to be fixed next season. I was two-feet firmly in the "Adrian put us out of European/FA Cup competition" camp, but having a striker whose goal rate in the past 50 games maps closely to Emile Heskey's worst seasons with us (and it sounds crazy to write that, but the goal rate really hasn't been that different when you look at it) is also a sure-fire way to run into trouble in elite 50/50 games.

 

Would love us to make another European Cup run next year (now that the league is off the back that's the one I'd always hope we win) so getting Bobby back to his 2017/18 best would go a long way to making that possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need a midfielder who can do the player maker stuff and grafting that Bobby can do, we need a number 9 who is a threat infront of goal. We also need to keep Bobby. Our options are what fuck us over. Ox isn't good enough except for odd cameos, origi isn't good enough. Kieta in my opinion will be largely miss in a hit and miss Liverpool career as for minamino I've no idea it's too hard to say but if I had to guess I'd say he's not good enough either but well worth the gamble considering the fee. 

 

The side needs money spending on it. FSG need to invest in their investment. It's money going back into their own pocket. I guess rich people are rich because they can afford to buy shit then make it pay for itself, make a huge amount of money all without investing a single penny of their own outside of a loan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Available Subscriptions

  • Last Match Report

  • Latest Posts

    • The time to try keep the plates spinning, is when they're already spinning. Most of Pep's plates are hurtling fast towards the floor, some of them smashing into pieces. Having to replace 2-3 players is one thing, even with the money he's given, but having to replace 6-7, through a combination of ageing, susceptibility to injury, and simply not having replaced key players such as Kompany, has left him looking complacent, naive and vulnerable.   The contract extension is something of an act of bravado and defiance, and not wanting to be seen to be running away from the fire, which he's terrified of. he's probably wishing he'd gone when he had the chance, but he's stayed and doubled down on that decision, for better or worse.   He's never had to completely rebuild a team before, partly because he's always had top quality players at his disposal, and partly because he's never stuck around long enough to have to do it. Given his obsession with spending £50M+ on defenders and still not getting the defence sorted, the money they throw at Haaland, or whichever other attacking player they go after, will be pissed into the wind if they don't sort out the defence and defensive midfield which was once rock solid with Kompany and Fernandinho, albeit with the aid of endlessly unpunished shithousery.   He's in new territory, totally naked. Let's see if the supposed king can buy himself a wardrobe of new clothes.    
    • Yeah, his positioning and game management were the best it's been, which was great to see.  There were a couple of times he was in a great position on the edge of their box and instead of playing it straight away would have a little think, or jink past someone, then the killer ball was gone.  Once he's got his feet under the table a bit more he'll be playing those balls or going past people and shooting quickly and be a real creative threat. 
    • Were we any different during the utd period of dominance. I bet there were comments simular to that by many reds fans.
    • That's my main issue with Neco too. He takes far too many touches when he is on the ball in our own half. Often, it's because he feels the need to beat an opponent before passing it.   He really should learn to keep things simple in our own half. 
    • I understand a bit of bias here and there, but most of that is just factually incorrect, especially the bollocks about being anti-football and kicking players off the park.     
  • Latest Round Up

  • Popular Contributors

  • Football Betting Site Betway
  • top casino sites
  • new UK casino
×