You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wright: Firmino is so important to this Liverpool team

TLW

Ian Wright has hailed the overall impact of Roberto Firmino as the introduction of the Brazilian coincided with Liverpool finally being able to the break down a stubborn Aston Villa outfit on Sunday.

Divock Origi replaced the workhorse centre forward in the starting lineup to minimal effect, and with chances at a premium, Jürgen Klopp turned to Firmino and while he did not get on the scoresheet, his subtle movement played a key role in the Sadio Mane strike and that was certainly not lost on the Arsenal legend.

The Echo(via PLP) reported Wright as saying:

“The team is used to him. The team knows what he’s about. The positions he takes up, they’re clever," 

“Even this goal, you could say Villa could’ve got tighter, but his movement opens up a little space for Naby Keita to get the time, and his movement in the box takes the defender away so Sadio Mane can score the goal.

“It’s just clever little movements. He’s so good. What he does is so important to what Liverpool do.

"When he’s not playing, it’s so noticeable. No-one else can do what he does.”

firmino3_600.jpg

"In terms of Origi, his Liverpool career has been littered by purple patches, with long barren spells in between.

Being a back up to the World class front three Is certainly a difficult task as regular minutes are unlikely to occur unless there is a injury.

When he does get an opportunity like he did against Villa he needs to make the most of it otherwise it will raise questions about his status in the squad like Michael Owen has done.

The former Reds striker feels like his presence dissuaded Klopp going for Timo Werner.

“Origi’s just signed a new contract and Minamino’s only just signed (for the club).

“They are there and they’re fixed but that doesn’t mean you can’t question whether they should be. 

“Origi signing a new long-term deal was almost Liverpool…they were loyal to him weren’t they?

“He’d done what he’d done [in the Champions League] and all of a sudden they they thought he’s done that so you have to give them a new contract.

“That’s now prevented them from going and spending big money on a back-up striker.

“Timo Werner was obviously a player that Liverpool were linked to and he’s eventually gone to Chelsea. 

“I think that type of player would have been brilliant for Liverpool. ‘

“They signed Origi on a long-term contract that virtually ruled out a back-up striker and I’m not sure that they don’t need a better one.’

View full article

Catch 22 with Bobby.

He is the number 9 but doesn't score a lot.

Obviously, this means Mane and Salah score goals, apparently more goals than they might otherwise.

But they aren't strikers, so they miss more than a proper 9 might.

We could literally have been 4 up against Brighton, put the game to bed.

56 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Catch 22 with Bobby.

He is the number 9 but doesn't score a lot.

Obviously, this means Mane and Salah score goals, apparently more goals than they might otherwise.

But they aren't strikers, so they miss more than a proper 9 might.

We could literally have been 4 up against Brighton, put the game to bed.

Salah"s been involved in a 100 Premier league goals quicker than any player other than Alan shearer. 

Only against villa we were utter shite before firmino came on, whose movement paved the way for manes goal. 

You'd think after four years people would get this and not still be talking utter shite about number 9s

26 minutes ago, J-V said:

What we replace him with is average.

Origi would score goals as a pure 9 in most other teams. Ings has proven that as well this season and he wasn't pulling up trees when he was coming off the bench here either. It's more of a stylistic issue. It's hard to replace a "false nine" like Firmino who drops deep and has creative responsibilities with players like Origi and Chamberlain, who whilst different, are at their core direct runners with fewer creative attributes. The team has to play differently when they're in the side and it's not an easy adjustment. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Horus said:

I do think he needs to be more of the number 9, and less of the false. We keep far too many men behind the ball when attacking, so we really need that 3rd attacker. 

Well we definately disagree then, cause I think he is instrumental to the way we play, and if he played more like a traditional 9 it would mean we’d have to change our system completely. Room for improvement on his finishing yes, change the way he plays it’s a big no from me.

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Well we definately disagree then, cause I think he is instrumental to the way we play, and if he played more like a traditional 9 it would mean we’d have to change our system completely. Room for improvement on his finishing yes, change the way he plays it’s a big no from me.

That's fair, we just see things differently. I don't think we need a false 9 when we don't have any midfield runners and can get bogged down 30 yards from goal, but Jurgens paid millions, and I'm posting on a forum...

The most overrated player I’ve ever seen play for us. The amount of attacks that break down due to him is unreal yet it all goes ignored because of this unseen work he does for the team. 

He’s the ultimate old fashioned hipsters favourite player. Everything’s been said about the players who deliver every week so they pick the least effective player and champion the slightest positive thing just so they can be different. 

If he was English with a normal haircut and couldn’t do a karate kick he’d be slaughtered on here. 

• Downvote 4

Guest Alex_K

Unless he bags a couple in the last games this is going to be his worse goal scoring league season - probably significantly so. He hasn't really been on it all year oddly. He'd be hard pressed to score less next season.

I don't think the positional comments really bear fruit because he's been playing a similar role for a few years now, but has gone from a 1-in-2 man in all competitions to a 1-in-5. That's pretty drastic.

4 minutes ago, Red74 said:

The most overrated player I’ve ever seen play for us. The amount of attacks that break down due to him is unreal yet it all goes ignored because of this unseen work he does for the team. 

He’s the ultimate old fashioned hipsters favourite player. Everything’s been said about the players who deliver every week so they pick the least effective player and champion the slightest positive thing just so they can be different. 

If he was English with a normal haircut and couldn’t do a karate kick he’d be slaughtered on here. 

What the fuck are you drinking because I could do with a pint of it. "The most overrated player....."?

If he was English, he'd get slaughtered for being English pretty much like Hendo or Oxlaide Chamberlane do on here not because of what he does or doesnt do.

9 minutes ago, Red74 said:

This is funny. You say he's a hipster player as if it's hard to see what he is good at and what his role is. It's really not. He's been here for 5 years, pretty much all of them successful. It's quite clear why he's important. 

Guest Alex_K
Just now, dockers_strike said:

What the fuck are you drinking because I could do with a pint of it. "The most overrated player....."?

If he was English, he'd get slaughtered for being English pretty much like Hendo or Oxlaide Chamberlane do on here not because of what he does or doesnt do.

Its probably not as crazy as it sounds. When he's on it he's a great player, but in the here-and-now he's regressed from being a 1-in-2 striker playing the "false 9" type role with Mane & Salah to a 1-in-5 striker playign the "false 9" type role with Mane and Salah. But he's heralded probably more now than ever before as being the lynchpin to the side (you'd probably even find some who think hes our most or 2nd most important player). In that respect you could make an arguement he's over-rated (not to comment myself whether he is or isn't).

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

This is funny. You say he's a hipster player as if it's hard to see what he is good at and what his role is. It's really not. He's been here for 5 years, pretty much all of them successful. It's quite clear why he's important. 

He gets classed as a defensive forward now cos he doesn’t deliver going forward. Ultimate hipster language 

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

Its probably not as crazy as it sounds. When he's on it he's a great player, but in the here-and-now he's regressed from being a 1-in-2 striker playing the "false 9" type role with Mane & Salah to a 1-in-5 striker playign the "false 9" type role with Mane and Salah. But he's heralded probably more now than ever before as being the lynchpin to the side (you'd probably even find some who think hes our most or 2nd most important player). In that respect you could make an arguement he's over-rated (not to comment myself whether he is or isn't).

I dont know about 'regressed' but he's certainly going through a rough patch. I thought that commentator and mcmanaman talked utter shite when he had that one come back off the post. "What do you think, Stevie, he looks to have a mental block or something?

What shite.

Just stick a Harry kane In there or Dominic solanke.   You can difnitely take their 39 goals a season and add it to our wide forwards, it would in no way shape or form take from them 

250 goals in 3 years is a pathetic return we need a properz number 9

Guest Alex_K
4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont know about 'regressed' but he's certainly going through a rough patch. I thought that commentator and mcmanaman talked utter shite when he had that one come back off the post. "What do you think, Stevie, he looks to have a mental block or something?

What shite.

Personally I thought he looked tired before heading to Qatar. He then scored a few after coming back but then trailed off again pretty quickly. He's now actually gone 12 consecutive league games without scoring which is pretty incredible for a striker in a leading team. Hopefully the summer break does him well and he bounces back strongly next year.

He is 29 in the autumn and time is not typically kind to Brazilian strikers but then he's not the typical style of Brazilian forward.

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Personally I thought he looked tired before heading to Qatar. He's now actually gone 12 consecutive league games without scoring which is pretty incredible for a striker in a leading team. Hopefully the summer break does him well and he bounces back strongly next year.

He is 29 in the autumn and time is not typically kind to Brazilian strikers but then he's not the typical style of Brazilian forward.

He’s looking worse now after the Covid break.so I don’t think it’s exhaustion, I think it’s possibly complacency. He probably feels that his place is pretty much guaranteed. We desperately need competition for that no 9 role, and if Minamino isn’t going to be it then we need someone else who will be. 

Guest Alex_K
20 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He’s looking worse now after the Covid break.so I don’t think it’s exhaustion, I think it’s possibly complacency. He probably feels that his place is pretty much guaranteed. We desperately need competition for that no 9 role, and if Minamino isn’t going to be it then we need someone else who will be. 

Yes could be. Whatever the reason, it needs to be fixed next season. I was two-feet firmly in the "Adrian put us out of European/FA Cup competition" camp, but having a striker whose goal rate in the past 50 games maps closely to Emile Heskey's worst seasons with us (and it sounds crazy to write that, but the goal rate really hasn't been that different when you look at it) is also a sure-fire way to run into trouble in elite 50/50 games.

Would love us to make another European Cup run next year (now that the league is off the back that's the one I'd always hope we win) so getting Bobby back to his 2017/18 best would go a long way to making that possible.

We need a midfielder who can do the player maker stuff and grafting that Bobby can do, we need a number 9 who is a threat infront of goal. We also need to keep Bobby. Our options are what fuck us over. Ox isn't good enough except for odd cameos, origi isn't good enough. Kieta in my opinion will be largely miss in a hit and miss Liverpool career as for minamino I've no idea it's too hard to say but if I had to guess I'd say he's not good enough either but well worth the gamble considering the fee. 

The side needs money spending on it. FSG need to invest in their investment. It's money going back into their own pocket. I guess rich people are rich because they can afford to buy shit then make it pay for itself, make a huge amount of money all without investing a single penny of their own outside of a loan.