You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manager Draft - Group B

Guest Alex_K

Manager Draft - Group B  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Manager Draft - Group B

I think Batistuta is the fourth best striker in the whole draft and if you think Keegan is better than Romario then you’re absolutely fucking mental. 

If you look at any top ten strikers of all time list you’ll find Romario. Doubt you’ll see Shearer anywhere near it, shocking shout that. 

1. Ronaldo

2. Van Basten

3. Romario

4. Batistuta 

5. Sanchez 

6. Shearer

7. Keegan

8. Bergkamp

47 minutes ago, aRdja said:

How would you rank the forwards in this group.

I’d say...

1. Ronaldo

2. Van Basten

3. Keegan

4. Romario

5. Shearer

6. Batistuta

7. Bergkamp

8. Sanchez

I’d have Bergkamp at lot higher, although it’s difficult to rank them, given there are various types of forwards in that list.

1. Ronaldo

2. Van Basten

3. Romario / Bergkamp

4. Batistuta

5. Shearer

6. Sanchez

7. Keegan

Bergkamp was a brilliant player, a joy to watch. I think some people tend to forget how good Shearer was pre injuries - a very, very good all-round centre forward. 

20 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yes it is. Romario is a top ten striker of all time. Shearer would struggle to get in the top 50. 

I think one thing that goes against Romario is he doesn’t have top class European pedigree and he never played in Italy/England.... whereas Shearer doesn’t have it either, but he played in the PL and we watched him score more goals than everyone else in the league season after season. 

Guest Alex_K

I'd have Bergkamp fairly near the bottom of that list to be honest. He didn't cut it in Italy; I know Henry didn't either, but Henry left Juve at 21 whereas Bergkamp was 26 when he was at Inter. I also remember that insane no-travelling policy he had.

I'd put Batistuta above Shearer because he was a terror when Serie A was at its absolute height and the quality of defences was insane. There was a Serie A side in the Champions League final for 7 years in a row for example (and 3 different club sides at that), whereas the quality of the PL was at its weakest when Shearer was rampant. Still a quality striker of course but that puts Batistuta over the top for me. He was scoring twice as many goals a season as other world class players like George Weah for example.

15 minutes ago, No2 said:

@Tony Moanero underrated by who you asked?

That’s not underrating him. It’s fairly rating him. Shearer was a great striker and he was also nowhere near the best strikers of all time. Both those views are fine to hold at the same time. 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Jesus wept. 

He might have cracked the top ten if he’d had a titan like Scott Brown playing behind him. 

Just now, Sugar Ape said:

That’s not underrating him. It’s fairly rating him. Shearer was a great striker and he was also nowhere near the best strikers of all time. Both those views are fine to hold at the same time. 

He might have cracked the top ten if he’d had a titan like Scott Brown playing behind him. 

Outstanding. 

3 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Where would you rank Shearer compared to some modern day strikers? Let’s say Suarez, Benzema, Henry, Shevchenko and Shearer?

I'd have a peak Shearer over Benzema. 

Suarez

Henry

Shevchenko

Shearer

Benzema

Shearer and Shevchenko aren't that far apart at all. Shearer could have gone anywhere he wanted before signing for Newcastle. Imagine how many he scores in a Utd or Arsenal team of that time. Even here you could probably have added an extra 30/40 goals to his Newcastle tally. 

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Where would you rank Shearer compared to some modern day strikers? Let’s say Suarez, Benzema, Henry, Shevchenko and Shearer?

No question 100% ahead of Benzema.

Ahead of Suarez for longevity alone.

Behind Henry.

At his peak Shevchenko is ahead of Shearer but again i think Shearer does go overall consistency. His numbers are extraordinary especially considering his injuries and the clubs he played for.

Guest Alex_K

Did Shearer have more longevity than Suarez? Don’t forget Suarez went and tore up La Liga after leaving us. 40 league goals in 35 game season for Barca.

Id actually have Suarez pretty high at the top of that list. Man was insane.

16 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Did Shearer have more longevity than Suarez? Don’t forget Suarez went and tore up La Liga after leaving us. 40 league goals in 35 game season for Barca.

Different players but at their peak you have Suarez in your side over Shearer 8 days a week. And thats testament to Suarez's ability because Shearer was world class. 

16 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

I done him a disservice, his numbers are unreal. I would move him just below Henry.

One reason I’d have Shearer above Shevchenko is the Englishman adapted his game successfully after he lost his pace. Peak Sheva was brilliant but like Torres and Owen after him, after he lost his pace he was near useless.

Guest Alex_K

Yeah Shevchenko’s drop off was weirdly dramatic. Remember the gloom around him joining Chelsea. He was pretty much a disaster there despite being immense for Milan even the season before. From memory he didn’t really even have a lot of injuries??

Shearer was picked as in my view he would be the perfect foil with Keegan. And playing with Wingbacks meant I wanted a proper number 9 who could get on the end of crosses and with Keegan being free to play around him like he did with Toshack. 

Enough about the attackers no cunts scoring against me anyway. 

• Upvote 1