You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manager Draft - Group B

Guest Alex_K

Manager Draft - Group B  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Manager Draft - Group B

Went with Alex.

Sugar Ape - I did like this team quite a bit. It has wing backs for a start, the midfield and attack is superb too. Ultimately though, in this competition, Carra, Walker and (Mostly) Petrescu, meant i had to discount this side. They dont have the quality of the others and, for me at least, part of the skill in these drafts is the planning to avoid getting any dudds towards the end.

Lee- Your pick of Kroll really hampered my plans. That and my own pick of Nedved. No obvious weakness for me. Like the balance again from the fullbacks. Good combination of physicality and class in the midfield too. Back to my earlier point though, the GK sticks out as a weak link to me. Really was a toss up between this and Alex though. Came down to the GK

Fair enough. 

Marchegiani was far from a bad keeper, most expensive in the world at one point and probably unlucky to be around in a era with quite a few good keepers in Italy. Had we had him in the mid 90s we would have won a couple of titles. But he was a pick of need over a wanted pick. 

4 minutes ago, John102 said:

Went with Alex.

Sugar Ape - I did like this team quite a bit. It has wing backs for a start, the midfield and attack is superb too. Ultimately though, in this competition, Carra, Walker and (Mostly) Petrescu, meant i had to discount this side. They dont have the quality of the others and, for me at least, part of the skill in these drafts is the planning to avoid getting any dudds towards the end.

Lee- Your pick of Kroll really hampered my plans. That and my own pick of Nedved. No obvious weakness for me. Like the balance again from the fullbacks. Good combination of physicality and class in the midfield too. Back to my earlier point though, the GK sticks out as a weak link to me. Really was a toss up between this and Alex though. Came down to the GK

Carragher isn’t a dud! Sugar Ape chose him over Lawrenson.

It’s better to put a lesser player in your team in their correct position than it is to shoehorn a superior player in who is playing out of position. I think that’s the mistake a lot of potentially great draft teams make by picking a centre mid on the wings or a centre back as a full back rather than just going for a weaker player in their natural position. 

I’m more than happy with Carragher and Walker. I think they were both excellent players and perfect as the two blockers in a back three. With Petrescu I toyed with putting someone like Kuyt there who would get more love on here than Petrescu but ultimately Petrescu is perfectly suited for a right wing back role. He’s the weakest player in my team, no doubt, but he was also a good player.

Guest Alex_K

The Zeman pool was pretty shallow by that point too. He had some good midfielders left over (Veratti; De Rossi) but not much else. For such an iconic manager he wasn't invited to manage a whole lot of top teams.

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

The Zeman pool was pretty shallow by that point too. He had some good midfielders left over (Veratti; De Rossi) but not much else. For such an iconic manager he wasn't invited to manage a whole lot of top teams.

Yeah I was pretty lucky Zeman had someone left who could play right wing back. Dynamite fucked up my overall plan by taking Nicol when I was going to have him as my next pick. I would have had Nicol instead of Petrescu and Aldair instead of Carragher but it wasn’t to be. After he picked Nicol I then decided I’d have Lahm and, of course, aRdja picked him straight away. 

Guest Alex_K

Yeah those turns were full of fuckery as the mid-picks often are. I wanted Roberto Carlos & Lahm in those 2 slots, with a Scholes/Keane midfield 2 (surprised Scholes wasn't picked up elsewhere). Flipped Scholes to Cole then was happy to pick Tassotti up, who I debated swapping to Chris Lawler so I could take Donadoni into midfield. Overall decently happy with my side.

I don’t understand John102’s team.

The rest are very close. Lee’s back 3 (or 5) won it for me. Class all over. Never watched Krol, but he came 3rd in Ballon D’Or so he must have been very good. All three have excellent forward lines, so much of muchness there. I never saw Keegan, but he won Ballon D’Or twice... Kahn is the best goalie in the group, with Marchegiani being the weakest. Gianni Rivera seems like the biggest name there given that he won Ballon D’Or, but all three teams have very good and balanced midfields. 

9 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

It’s better to put a lesser player in your team in their correct position than it is to shoehorn a superior player in who is playing out of position. I think that’s the mistake a lot of potentially great draft teams make by picking a centre mid on the wings or a centre back as a full back rather than just going for a weaker player in their natural position. 

I’m more than happy with Carragher and Walker. I think they were both excellent players and perfect as the two blockers in a back three. With Petrescu I toyed with putting someone like Kuyt there who would get more love on here than Petrescu but ultimately Petrescu is perfectly suited for a right wing back role. He’s the weakest player in my team, no doubt, but he was also a good player.

Definitely agree with that. 

10 minutes ago, aRdja said:

The rest are very close. Lee’s back 3 (or 5) won it for me. Class all over. Never watched Krol, but he came 3rd in Ballon D’Or so he must have been very good. All three have excellent forward lines, so much of muchness there. I never saw Keegan, but he won Ballon D’Or twice... Kahn is the best goalie in the group, with Marchegiani being the weakest. Gianni Rivera seems like the biggest name there given that he won Ballon D’Or, but all three teams have very good and balanced midfields. 

Nobody does mate, dont worry.

Give it 25 years.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Clemence > Khan

Guest Alex_K

Khan probably had a more accomplished career than Clemence as incredible as Clemence was. The only goalkeeper in history to win Player of the Tournament at a World Cup while also being German Footballer of the Year twice. He better be good - dropped Ballack for him!

Clemence or Shilton? Now that's a curious question.

Guest Alex_K

Tough one! Big Batistuta fan - think he was better than Shearer although in many respects their careers are quite similar (single league titles; career years spent at unfancied clubs; hardly played in the Champions League; iconic strikers for their nations). Also take Clemence over Marchegiani. The sides otherwise are much of a muchness: Lee takes the defence while Sugar Ape takes the midfield. Sugar Ape therefore shades it.

17 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Khan probably had a more accomplished career than Clemence as incredible as Clemence was. The only goalkeeper in history to win Player of the Tournament at a World Cup while also being German Footballer of the Year twice. He better be good - dropped Ballack for him!

Clemence or Shilton? Now that's a curious question.

Clemence!

44 minutes ago, aRdja said:

How good was Keegan as a footballer? I picked him in one draft and Lee picked him here, but really strange that he doesn’t seem to be a big vote winner, especially so given that he won 2 Ballon D’Ors.

Keegan was a fantastic footballer and key to our success under Shankly, with regards to the Balon d’Or within 5 years or so of Keegan winning it you also had Allan Simonsen, Oleg Blokhin and Igor Belanov all winning it and you probably wouldn’t get much credit for picking them on here either, though you’d think Keegan would be rated higher due to his Liverpool connection. 

Another couple of reasons could be, if you didn’t see him play, his goalscoring record isn’t that good for us, just worse than one in three I think. 13 goals being the most league goals he ever scored in a season for us and the other thing is I’ve often heard him described as Britain’s first superstar footballer. He wasn’t just a footballer he was a celebrity, he was on Superstars and released music singles, and like Beckham, that can overshadow his footballing achievements a bit.

• Upvote 1

I think it's been discussed before but there is a sweet spot for players in these drafts. I personally think some players who played in Italy during the 90s are criminally overrated, largely due to most of us being relatively young lads watching them on a Sunday eating our Sunday dinners.

I think a good 90s pro, say Batistuta, carries well more weight than players like Keegan, Simonsen, Blokhin, Rossi, Belanov and Rummenigger who all won a balon d'or. 

Guest Alex_K

Yeah probably a lot in that - although I think Batistuta is an all-time great. I remember being so excited to see us play his Roma team in 01 after the misery of the 90s. But yeah there will be examples of others who we nostalgically overrate relative to earlier peers I imagine.

James Richardson uploaded a lot of original 90s recorded Football Italia content onto YouTube during lockdown if anyone is ever looking for anything to put in the headphones by the way.

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

How would you rank the forwards in this group.

I’d say...

1. Ronaldo

2. Van Basten

3. Keegan

4. Romario

5. Shearer

6. Batistuta

7. Bergkamp

8. Sanchez

I'd have Bergkamp just ahead of Batistuta and the Romario / Shearer debate could be had too. I think Shearer could have the edge. No question about the top two. 

Fine margins isnt it.

I think Sanchez has a shout for being as high as 5 in the list, though having not watched him live its hard to judge.

Where would people placed Lewandowski? He was my alternative to Sanchez.

I didnt pick him as i think current players are undervalued (I had people criticising M'Bappe once), however, i think he stacks up against anyone 5 and below there.