You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Thiago has about 25 trophies in his career and has been world class for years. I think you could understand why fans were excited. If that signing didn't excite you, you're not even a fan. Keita, and players of that ilk, yeah, maybe people should wait until they put on the shirt. 

There’s getting excited and getting ahead of yourself.

Just now, belarus said:

There’s getting excited and getting ahead of yourself.

If as a fan, you're not going to imagine how good your favourite team might be with one of the best midfielders in the world added to it and you're not excited by that, then maybe you don't care anymore. And by you, I mean anybody, not you specifically. 

But someone like Keita who realistically had one great season before signing for us, I agree we could be better at managing expectations. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

If as a fan, you're not going to imagine how good your favourite team might be with one of the best midfielders in the world added to it and you're not excited by that, then maybe you don't care anymore. And by you, I mean anybody, not you specifically. 

But someone like Keita who realistically had one great season before signing for us, I agree we could be better at managing expectations. 

You’re probably right, I do struggle to truly care anymore. It’s shite

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I have to say he's already a player I've decided not to really think about he's there, they way you did with sturridge and to some extent Shaq & Lallana, although it's not as bad with the last 2 as they wouldn't get in a 1st XI anyway.

The most frustrating thing is that he's clearly a great player. Watching the city match and I spent a lot of it thinking we'd have soundly beaten them had he been playing, but I get the impression  we'll be saying that a lot to ourselves in games when he's not available. 

Certain players are just unlucky or prone to injury. Was the same with Rob Jones, people would often say how he was the best right back in the league and how he'd marked Giggs out of the game etc, yeah but he never plays so who cares?

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, an tha said:

This article pretty much writes him off for the next couple of weeks at least.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/?p=241545

I mean, generally, we could write off the next couple of weeks. And I'd rather do that and prepare for 2 weeks of pain.  Any result is a bonus. 

Leicester 

Atalanta

Brighton

Ajax

Wolves

Midget Land

Fulham

That's 22 Nov to 12 Dec.

A game every 3 days.

12 PL points up for grabs, but how high is the price to pay for those 12 points? 

7 minutes ago, AlissonsBeard said:

He's had Covid and been assaulted by a Brazilian mongrel - that hardly makes him the new Adam Lallana. He'll be back soon and the Morientes/Keita analogies are not going to age well.

That was a career ending challenge. Pickford is just a thick plank but that was calculated.

The honor among professionals is at an all time low in this game.

14 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I mean, generally, we could write off the next couple of weeks. And I'd rather do that and prepare for 2 weeks of pain.  Any result is a bonus. 

Leicester 

Atalanta

Brighton

Ajax

Wolves

Midget Land

Fulham

That's 22 Nov to 12 Dec.

A game every 3 days.

12 PL points up for grabs, but how high is the price to pay for those 12 points? 

To me, retaining the league is the biggest priority this season. Getting to the final of the CL would be great but a bonus.

Looking at those fixtures, so long as we dont get beat, Id be happy taking a point each from the first two CL games Atalanta and Ajax unless we're seeing our injured players returning in which case Id be looking at a win in each. We should be too strong for the Danes although they beat united at their gaff I think.

Leicester and Wolves will be tough while again, we should be too strong for Brighton and Fulham so Im looking at 12 from 12 in the league.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

To me, retaining the league is the biggest priority this season. Getting to the final of the CL would be great but a bonus.

Looking at those fixtures, so long as we dont get beat, Id be happy taking a point each from the first two CL games Atalanta and Ajax unless we're seeing our injured players returning. We should be too strong for the Danes although they beat united at their gaff I think.

Leicester and Wolves will be tough while again, we should be too strong for Brighton and Fulham so Im looking at 12 from 12 in the league.

That's damn optimistic. 

We have 10 injuries, and playing every 3 days will likely increase that number. 

Matip is already prone to injury. 

Robertson's red light is flashing. 

Milner is 34.

Keita is obviously a time bomb. 

Shaqiri too. 

It could get very messy very quickly, and we then get into this cycle of rushing players back and risking even further layoffs. All for 12 points. 

3 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Play the kids mostly for the next 3 weeks. Max 12 points dropped.  Not a problem, this year is a marathon not a sprint.  

Make our own mid-season break and watch the other teams start to fall to pieces. 

Screenshot_20201121-153802.png

The injuries aren't likely to get any less as the season progresses, you can't just write off 4 games. We need to fight for every single point. Hopefully we get through in the CL on Tuesday and we can afford to rest some players in match day 5&6. 

3 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

That's damn optimistic. 

We have 10 injuries, and playing every 3 days will likely increase that number. 

Matip is already prone to injury. 

Robertson's red light is flashing. 

Milner is 34.

Keita is obviously a time bomb. 

Shaqiri too. 

It could get very messy very quickly, and we then get into this cycle of rushing players back and risking even further layoffs. All for 12 points. 

Im a glass half full type and we'll have Thiago, Hendo, Ox and Fab coming back soon. People might have to be pragmatic about performances and winning by the odd goal this side of New Year.

We're exceptionally lucky to have him. He's one of a literal handful of players out there (available or otherwise) who would have put the first 11 over the top. Regrettably the arrival has coincided with going from 2 seasons basically without injuries to the squad being absolutely fucked all over the pitch, but that's not on him.

20 hours ago, Elite said:

Keita and Morientes haven't/didn't perform.

Thiago has looked sensational. He's not flopping, just injured.

Yeah, agree with that - was more making a point about the part where everyone is smug and arrogant about a lad before he’s pulled on the shirt. It raises expectations to the point where immediate injuries and whatever happens below world class week in week out feel like he’s flopping. It’s like when we are about to play United at old Trafford and people are asking how many we think we will win by. It fucking infuriates me in the exact same way.

And the ones shouting about cry arsing over it now will be the fucking hysterical cunts posting clips on Twitter and bragging about what it’s going to bring to the team. Or the “Thiago only cost 30m and he’s better than x y and z” gloating shite.

2 minutes ago, belarus said:

Yeah, agree with that - was more making a point about the part where everyone is smug and arrogant about a lad before he’s pulled on the shirt. It raises expectations to the point where immediate injuries and whatever happens below world class week in week out feel like he’s flopping. It’s like when we are about to play United at old Trafford and people are asking how many we think we will win by. It fucking infuriates me in the exact same way.

And the ones shouting about cry arsing over it now will be the fucking hysterical cunts posting clips on Twitter and bragging about what it’s going to bring to the team. Or the “Thiago only cost 30m and he’s better than x y and z” gloating shite.

To be fair he’s one of the best midfielders in the world, who won the treble just last year. Harsh to blame the fans for being excited over the signing.

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

To be fair he’s one of the best midfielders in the world, who won the treble just last year. Harsh to blame the fans for being excited over the signing.

No, I agree mate.

Im obviously not being clear with what I’m trying to say here. That’s not uncommon for me. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with getting excited for a signing and looking forward to having them in the team.

My issue is with the rhetoric some fans put out, claiming how the whole thing is a success for many reasons, even highlighting how it’s more of a success than other players, without even playing a game yet. Just because he’s won loads and been great at previous clubs, it doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed to happen again. There’s loads of examples. It’s like blue noses winning the transfer window - it’s the exact same in fact. As it is also the same as the “how many will we win by” before a 1-0 loss.

Lock stock and snatch are two of my favourite ever films - top 10 both of them. I wasn’t sat waiting for the gentlemen to come out claiming it’s going to be the best film I’ve ever seen, because I hadn’t seen it yet. And I’m sure people expecting that, or for it to match those other two, would be completely disappointed with anything but. This is why I get annoyed with the media doing this about players - they build them up and then join in with the stone throwing after. Fans don’t need to join in. 

Anyway, I think he’s a great player and hope he’s the success here his talent suggests.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, belarus said:

No, I agree mate.

Im obviously not being clear with what I’m trying to say here. That’s not uncommon for me. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with getting excited for a signing and looking forward to having them in the team.

My issue is with the rhetoric some fans put out, claiming how the whole thing is a success for many reasons, even highlighting how it’s more of a success than other players, without even playing a game yet. Just because he’s won loads and been great at previous clubs, it doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed to happen again. There’s loads of examples. It’s like blue noses winning the transfer window - it’s the exact same in fact. As it is also the same as the “how many will we win by” before a 1-0 loss.

Lock stock and snatch are two of my favourite ever films - top 10 both of them. I wasn’t sat waiting for the gentlemen to come out claiming it’s going to be the best film I’ve ever seen, because I hadn’t seen it yet. And I’m sure people expecting that, or for it to match those other two, would be completely disappointed with anything but. This is why I get annoyed with the media doing this about players - they build them up and then join in with the stone throwing after. Fans don’t need to join in. 

Anyway, I think he’s a great player and hope he’s the success here his talent suggests.

Unfortunately, I was told before I went to see Lock, Stock - and I was disappointed.

• Upvote 1

On 21/11/2020 at 19:51, Barrington Womble said:

The injuries aren't likely to get any less as the season progresses, you can't just write off 4 games. We need to fight for every single point. Hopefully we get through in the CL on Tuesday and we can afford to rest some players in match day 5&6. 

Agree completely. It’s a huge game in that regard. 

From the echo;

Jurgen Klopp believes Thiago Alcantara is "not too far" from a Liverpool return - but admits the midfielder is unlikely to make his comeback this midweek.

Thiago hasn't played since suffering a knee injury when caught by a red-card challenge from Everton forward Richarlison more than five weeks ago.

While pictured at the Liverpool's new training centre late last week, the Spaniard has yet to resume team training with the problem having been more serious than initially suspected.

But while unsure when Thiago will be able to return, Klopp is confident it won't be long before the summer signing can improve on the 135 minutes he has thus far played for the Premier League and world champions.

"Thiago is not in team training yet," said the Reds boss. "When will he be in team training? I don't know. We will see.

"I'm as surprised as the public. In the morning I come in, we have a medical meeting and they tell me 'yes he is in, he is not'.

Speaking to liverpoolfc.com, Klopp addressed the suggestion if Thiago could be back in time for Wednesday's Champions League visit of Atalanta, with Liverpool likely to be without the hamstrung Naby Keita.

"It would be great if he could, but if then he would have three days training and then play a Champions League game," he said.

"It's not the ideal situation. We have to see how we do it. I have in the moment no idea how we do it, but I can sleep at least three times and then we will see."