Quantcast
Thiago Alcantara - Page 91 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Elite

Thiago Alcantara

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Thiago has about 25 trophies in his career and has been world class for years. I think you could understand why fans were excited. If that signing didn't excite you, you're not even a fan. Keita, and players of that ilk, yeah, maybe people should wait until they put on the shirt. 

There’s getting excited and getting ahead of yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, belarus said:

There’s getting excited and getting ahead of yourself.

If as a fan, you're not going to imagine how good your favourite team might be with one of the best midfielders in the world added to it and you're not excited by that, then maybe you don't care anymore. And by you, I mean anybody, not you specifically. 

 

But someone like Keita who realistically had one great season before signing for us, I agree we could be better at managing expectations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

If as a fan, you're not going to imagine how good your favourite team might be with one of the best midfielders in the world added to it and you're not excited by that, then maybe you don't care anymore. And by you, I mean anybody, not you specifically. 

 

But someone like Keita who realistically had one great season before signing for us, I agree we could be better at managing expectations. 

You’re probably right, I do struggle to truly care anymore. It’s shite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I have to say he's already a player I've decided not to really think about he's there, they way you did with sturridge and to some extent Shaq & Lallana, although it's not as bad with the last 2 as they wouldn't get in a 1st XI anyway.

 

The most frustrating thing is that he's clearly a great player. Watching the city match and I spent a lot of it thinking we'd have soundly beaten them had he been playing, but I get the impression  we'll be saying that a lot to ourselves in games when he's not available. 

 

Certain players are just unlucky or prone to injury. Was the same with Rob Jones, people would often say how he was the best right back in the league and how he'd marked Giggs out of the game etc, yeah but he never plays so who cares?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, an tha said:

This article pretty much writes him off for the next couple of weeks at least.

 

https://www.thisisanfield.com/?p=241545

I mean, generally, we could write off the next couple of weeks. And I'd rather do that and prepare for 2 weeks of pain.  Any result is a bonus. 

 

Leicester 

Atalanta

Brighton

Ajax

Wolves

Midget Land

Fulham

 

That's 22 Nov to 12 Dec.

A game every 3 days.

 

12 PL points up for grabs, but how high is the price to pay for those 12 points? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AlissonsBeard said:

He's had Covid and been assaulted by a Brazilian mongrel - that hardly makes him the new Adam Lallana. He'll be back soon and the Morientes/Keita analogies are not going to age well.

That was a career ending challenge. Pickford is just a thick plank but that was calculated.

The honor among professionals is at an all time low in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I mean, generally, we could write off the next couple of weeks. And I'd rather do that and prepare for 2 weeks of pain.  Any result is a bonus. 

 

Leicester 

Atalanta

Brighton

Ajax

Wolves

Midget Land

Fulham

 

That's 22 Nov to 12 Dec.

A game every 3 days.

 

12 PL points up for grabs, but how high is the price to pay for those 12 points? 

 

To me, retaining the league is the biggest priority this season. Getting to the final of the CL would be great but a bonus.

 

Looking at those fixtures, so long as we dont get beat, Id be happy taking a point each from the first two CL games Atalanta and Ajax unless we're seeing our injured players returning in which case Id be looking at a win in each. We should be too strong for the Danes although they beat united at their gaff I think.

 

Leicester and Wolves will be tough while again, we should be too strong for Brighton and Fulham so Im looking at 12 from 12 in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

To me, retaining the league is the biggest priority this season. Getting to the final of the CL would be great but a bonus.

 

Looking at those fixtures, so long as we dont get beat, Id be happy taking a point each from the first two CL games Atalanta and Ajax unless we're seeing our injured players returning. We should be too strong for the Danes although they beat united at their gaff I think.

 

Leicester and Wolves will be tough while again, we should be too strong for Brighton and Fulham so Im looking at 12 from 12 in the league.

That's damn optimistic. 

We have 10 injuries, and playing every 3 days will likely increase that number. 

 

Matip is already prone to injury. 

Robertson's red light is flashing. 

Milner is 34.

Keita is obviously a time bomb. 

Shaqiri too. 

 

It could get very messy very quickly, and we then get into this cycle of rushing players back and risking even further layoffs. All for 12 points. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Play the kids mostly for the next 3 weeks. Max 12 points dropped.  Not a problem, this year is a marathon not a sprint.  

 

Make our own mid-season break and watch the other teams start to fall to pieces. 

Screenshot_20201121-153802.png

The injuries aren't likely to get any less as the season progresses, you can't just write off 4 games. We need to fight for every single point. Hopefully we get through in the CL on Tuesday and we can afford to rest some players in match day 5&6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

That's damn optimistic. 

We have 10 injuries, and playing every 3 days will likely increase that number. 

 

Matip is already prone to injury. 

Robertson's red light is flashing. 

Milner is 34.

Keita is obviously a time bomb. 

Shaqiri too. 

 

It could get very messy very quickly, and we then get into this cycle of rushing players back and risking even further layoffs. All for 12 points. 

 

 

Im a glass half full type and we'll have Thiago, Hendo, Ox and Fab coming back soon. People might have to be pragmatic about performances and winning by the odd goal this side of New Year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're exceptionally lucky to have him. He's one of a literal handful of players out there (available or otherwise) who would have put the first 11 over the top. Regrettably the arrival has coincided with going from 2 seasons basically without injuries to the squad being absolutely fucked all over the pitch, but that's not on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Elite said:

Keita and Morientes haven't/didn't perform.

 

Thiago has looked sensational. He's not flopping, just injured.

Yeah, agree with that - was more making a point about the part where everyone is smug and arrogant about a lad before he’s pulled on the shirt. It raises expectations to the point where immediate injuries and whatever happens below world class week in week out feel like he’s flopping. It’s like when we are about to play United at old Trafford and people are asking how many we think we will win by. It fucking infuriates me in the exact same way.


And the ones shouting about cry arsing over it now will be the fucking hysterical cunts posting clips on Twitter and bragging about what it’s going to bring to the team. Or the “Thiago only cost 30m and he’s better than x y and z” gloating shite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, belarus said:

Yeah, agree with that - was more making a point about the part where everyone is smug and arrogant about a lad before he’s pulled on the shirt. It raises expectations to the point where immediate injuries and whatever happens below world class week in week out feel like he’s flopping. It’s like when we are about to play United at old Trafford and people are asking how many we think we will win by. It fucking infuriates me in the exact same way.


And the ones shouting about cry arsing over it now will be the fucking hysterical cunts posting clips on Twitter and bragging about what it’s going to bring to the team. Or the “Thiago only cost 30m and he’s better than x y and z” gloating shite.

To be fair he’s one of the best midfielders in the world, who won the treble just last year. Harsh to blame the fans for being excited over the signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aRdja said:

To be fair he’s one of the best midfielders in the world, who won the treble just last year. Harsh to blame the fans for being excited over the signing.

No, I agree mate.

 

Im obviously not being clear with what I’m trying to say here. That’s not uncommon for me. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with getting excited for a signing and looking forward to having them in the team.

 

My issue is with the rhetoric some fans put out, claiming how the whole thing is a success for many reasons, even highlighting how it’s more of a success than other players, without even playing a game yet. Just because he’s won loads and been great at previous clubs, it doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed to happen again. There’s loads of examples. It’s like blue noses winning the transfer window - it’s the exact same in fact. As it is also the same as the “how many will we win by” before a 1-0 loss.

 

Lock stock and snatch are two of my favourite ever films - top 10 both of them. I wasn’t sat waiting for the gentlemen to come out claiming it’s going to be the best film I’ve ever seen, because I hadn’t seen it yet. And I’m sure people expecting that, or for it to match those other two, would be completely disappointed with anything but. This is why I get annoyed with the media doing this about players - they build them up and then join in with the stone throwing after. Fans don’t need to join in. 
 

Anyway, I think he’s a great player and hope he’s the success here his talent suggests.

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, belarus said:

No, I agree mate.

 

Im obviously not being clear with what I’m trying to say here. That’s not uncommon for me. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with getting excited for a signing and looking forward to having them in the team.

 

My issue is with the rhetoric some fans put out, claiming how the whole thing is a success for many reasons, even highlighting how it’s more of a success than other players, without even playing a game yet. Just because he’s won loads and been great at previous clubs, it doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed to happen again. There’s loads of examples. It’s like blue noses winning the transfer window - it’s the exact same in fact. As it is also the same as the “how many will we win by” before a 1-0 loss.

 

Lock stock and snatch are two of my favourite ever films - top 10 both of them. I wasn’t sat waiting for the gentlemen to come out claiming it’s going to be the best film I’ve ever seen, because I hadn’t seen it yet. And I’m sure people expecting that, or for it to match those other two, would be completely disappointed with anything but. This is why I get annoyed with the media doing this about players - they build them up and then join in with the stone throwing after. Fans don’t need to join in. 
 

Anyway, I think he’s a great player and hope he’s the success here his talent suggests.

 

 

 

Unfortunately, I was told before I went to see Lock, Stock - and I was disappointed.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/11/2020 at 19:51, Barrington Womble said:

The injuries aren't likely to get any less as the season progresses, you can't just write off 4 games. We need to fight for every single point. Hopefully we get through in the CL on Tuesday and we can afford to rest some players in match day 5&6. 

Agree completely. It’s a huge game in that regard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the echo;

 

Jurgen Klopp believes Thiago Alcantara is "not too far" from a Liverpool return - but admits the midfielder is unlikely to make his comeback this midweek.

Thiago hasn't played since suffering a knee injury when caught by a red-card challenge from Everton forward Richarlison more than five weeks ago.

While pictured at the Liverpool's new training centre late last week, the Spaniard has yet to resume team training with the problem having been more serious than initially suspected.

 

But while unsure when Thiago will be able to return, Klopp is confident it won't be long before the summer signing can improve on the 135 minutes he has thus far played for the Premier League and world champions.

"Thiago is not in team training yet," said the Reds boss. "When will he be in team training? I don't know. We will see.

"I'm as surprised as the public. In the morning I come in, we have a medical meeting and they tell me 'yes he is in, he is not'.

 

Speaking to liverpoolfc.com, Klopp addressed the suggestion if Thiago could be back in time for Wednesday's Champions League visit of Atalanta, with Liverpool likely to be without the hamstrung Naby Keita.

"It would be great if he could, but if then he would have three days training and then play a Champions League game," he said.

"It's not the ideal situation. We have to see how we do it. I have in the moment no idea how we do it, but I can sleep at least three times and then we will see."

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Available Subscriptions

  • Last Match Report

  • Latest Posts

    • We huffed and puffed but they were superior all over the park tonight.  I’m not lauding them as the second coming, it’s speaks much more of our own ills this season. 
    • By Sam Wallace.   The question at full-time that hung over an empty Anfield echoing to the whoops and shrieks of celebrating Chelsea players is whether a home defeat any longer counts as a shock for the team still known as defending champions by convention alone. Currently they are defending nothing of what they won last season - beaten again, for the seventh time in 13 league games, and this the unprecedented fifth in a row at home. A game that was lost to a Thomas Tuchel team that is resurgent under their new German manager, while in the other technical area the greatest German manager that the English game has known seemed to be running out of options. His team looks crushed. They cannot dominate opponents as they did and the goals that once rained in from the Premier League’s most dangerous forward line feel like a faint memory. Sadio Mane missed a first half bouncing ball in front of Chelsea’s goal by such a considerable margin that it was hard to call it a shot. Mohamed Salah was replaced with barely an hour played and his team desperate for a goal. The club’s top goalscorer of the last three seasons performed his frustration for the cameras that followed him back to his seat. Klopp later said that he had sensed that Salah was no longer “fresh”. “I could’ve changed a lot of players,” he said. “In the moment he felt the intensity and I didn’t want to risk him.” Liverpool have scored once in these five defeats, from the penalty spot. In the meantime this was the stage for the biggest win of Tuchel’s Chelsea nascent career. Ten games so far and no defeats yet, with this one sealed by a moment of exceptional skill at the end of the first half by Mason Mount, the most effective player on the pitch. Tuchel still has his problems, primarily the frazzled confidence of Timo Werner but the team is back. “Super-happy” was how the coach described his response to his first ten games in charge. “This is a brave team and in big games they show up,” he said.  Chelsea did not take all their chances, but they took the one they needed to and the system, incorporating three centre-halves once again felt solid in the face of a desperate last push from Liverpool in the game’s closing stages. It was a spectacular effort from the likes of Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen. Chelsea are up to fourth at the expense of Liverpool in seventh and four points behind. English Premier League   Team P W D L GD Pts 1 Manchester City 27 20 5 2 39 65 2 Manchester United 27 14 9 4 21 51 3 Leicester City 27 15 5 7 15 50 4 Chelsea 27 13 8 6 17 47 5 Everton 26 14 4 8 6 46 6 West Ham United 26 13 6 7 9 45 7 Liverpool 27 12 7 8 12 43 8 Tottenham Hotspur 26 12 6 8 15 42 Still, as Tuchel has managed to lift Chelsea back into top four contention, is it hard to drag the gaze away from Liverpool – now on course to be worse defending champions than the Manchester United team that saw David Moyes ousted in 2013-2014. This staggering fall from grace for Liverpool’s 99-point season has recurring features. Another central defensive pairing offering the same instability. Great goalscorers who no longer score goals. A team addicted to playing a certain way, even as it crumbles around them.   The Chelsea goalkeeper Edouard Mendy had one shot to save. There was pressure on Chelsea, especially in the desperate closing stages as Klopp’s players sensed another galling defeat, and yet there was so little danger. In attack, Liverpool feel like the kettle that never boils. A great expending of energy for so little return. For a while in the early stages, Klopp’s team had Chelsea pinned back. But once the away side started to escape, the vulnerabilities for Liverpool at the back – in Fabinho and Ozan Kabak - were clear. As for Mount, others saw their moments come and go while he seized upon his. It was the kind of goal that his team-mate Werner, two years older, could really have benefited from but it just refused to happen for the German. He had one chance on 16 minutes that he lobbed feebly into the arms of Alisson, back in goal for Liverpool, and a later one in which he was ruled offside by Var by the thickness of a cuff. In the race for Jorginho’s long ball the Chelsea striker had beaten Alisson, rushing unwisely out of goal on 24 minutes. Werner nicked it past the goalkeeper and got to it in time to steer it into the Liverpool goal. It felt like Werner never believed the goal would be given and with one in the league since the end of October you can understand why. On a margin not visible to the naked eye, Var decided it was offside. Klopp said that the game’s big moments had passed his team by. “I told the boys what I saw tonight,” he said. “To get these moments back you have to fight and you have to fight on a different level. It’s not about tactics, it’s about being resilient and showing heart.” He said: “It has never [been the case] that we start blaming the circumstances. We had a really good team on the pitch and we played a lot of good football – but in the decisive moments, not good enough.” Mount’s goal was splendid. A Liverpool attack broke down and N’Golo Kante had time in midfield to look up and send a long ball out to the left. Mount was wide but Fabinho and Trent Alexander-Arnold were neither tight nor aggressive enough. The 22-year-old moved the ball back right on his right foot and by the time Fabinho had recognised what was happening, Mount had spied the opportunity, shaping a shot round Alisson’s left hand. The striking of the ball against Kante’s right hand in the 47th minute when Roberto Firmino hit a shot at the Frenchman precipitated loud appeals. Otherwise it was hard to think of the moment when Klopp’s side should have scored. At the other end Hakim Ziyech had a chance cleared off the line. It hardly needed saying that this was the first time in 128 years of their history that Liverpool have lost five at home in the league in a row.
    • If they were playing in Romania then maybe they would. Instead of Budapest in Hungary.
    • We were fine until the last third and then we made them look like a great team. 
    • For Celtic next season
  • Latest Round Up

  • Popular Now

  • Popular Contributors

  • top casino sites
  • new UK casino
×