You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

I wonder have the FSG model changed, Klopp has produced a team making money on the pitch, Salah and Mane are worth more to us for the results they deliver on the pitch rather than the 150m they would bring in by being sold. For everything FSG are stupid is something they aren't. All our best players now have contracts that bring them to ages with little or no resale value.

If we have decided Thiago will deliver results then the 70m or whatever it costs over 4 years will be worth it.

4 minutes ago, No2 said:

I wonder have the FSG model changed, Klopp has produced a team making money on the pitch, Salah and Mane are worth more to us for the results they deliver on the pitch rather than the 150m they would bring in by being sold. For everything FSG are stupid is something they aren't. All our best players now have contracts that bring them to ages with little or no resale value.

If we have decided Thiago will deliver results then the 70m or whatever it costs over 4 years will be worth it.

I felt they took a calculated decision that signing Werner would have been bad for morale. For us to equal Chelsea's offer, meant he was earning more than club stalwarts.

I think the club is quite happy to give the impression it has fuck all money. It could mean getting players like Thiago for 8-10 million less.

It is a shift going after players like Thiago? My feeling is no. They would hope that in the coming years Brewster, Jones, Elliot and Williams become first team players. I still have a feeling that we will sign Sancho next season and finance it by selling Sadio or Mo. Obviously if the Mancs come in with a mad offer and wage offer that won't happen but I think they will get a sense of looking to move those players on when they can still command a big fee. Jurgen will want to build a new team in phases over the next 4 years.

Would love to have him but can't see FSG spending this amount of money on a 29 year old without us making some sales first. Either we're moving someone on or he's not coming. Maybe Lallana leaving will be enough for our tightfisted overlords to loosen the purse strings....

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Varsky is myself and Paulie’s European bureau. No scraps in our scrapbook. 

Varsky laughed and said, and I quote “Are those two saddos still trying to pretend they’re with us.” You and Paulie are burnt. The only real ITK we had was the Transfer Budgie. And TB hasn’t been seen around these parts for at least two years.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, No2 said:

3 Stacks made a good point that his age is right around the age as the more established players in our squad. I don't think they've totally shifted their overall strategy but that given the circumstances this move would make sense in the short term. I've really only seen a couple highlight videos but from the looks of it he provides something most of our midfielders don't in those accurate long balls and he seems to be very consistent at it. He also seems to be capable of running with/keeping the ball in tight spaces if he has to. That's something we want Keita to provide but as many have mentioned he's not been consistently good enough at it (hard to do when you're injured all the time but it seems those injuries have taken a toll on his mentality as well). Another factor is that, right now, it looks like we've only got Klopp until his contract runs out. They could very well be thinking that it's best to give him the players for right now and worry about the long term 1-2 years time.

The whole "moneyball" scheme of buying younger and/or undervalued players and moulding them into stars is great but even with the Red Sox they've shown they're more than willing to shell out for established players if they think it'll get them a shot at a championship. They're also not afraid to trade their stars away (sell in our case) if they think the window is closing and it's time for a rebuild. Werner is a special case. I think had the lockdowns not happened they would've been fine with the fee, and would've probably gotten him to agree a contract before Chelsea had a chance to offer him silly money. Turns out the kid wanted out of Leipzig, and/or said money, more than he wanted to play for Klopp. Probably didn't help that he spent the better part of the season publicly fawning over us and therefore didn't feel like he could stay there any longer. They might've even tried to get back in on that deal after Chelsea showed interest but when the wage demands became so high they thought fuck that. There's a certain point where if you're paying unproven young players the same as your established stars as well as a large transfer fee that it's not really "moneyball" anymore at all.

Of course, until it's official there's still a chance this could all be bullshit.

Im going to go on record as saying the shift to buying established players, is due to their plan to sell us in next 2 years. They want us to stay competitive, in the face of the potentially relaxed FFP and Saudi takeover, to keep the asset value high. 

Or, this is all paper talk and Thiago is not coming. 

12 minutes ago, John102 said:

Im going to go on record as saying the shift to buying established players, is due to their plan to sell us in next 2 years. They want us to stay competitive, in the face of the potentially relaxed FFP and Saudi takeover, to keep the asset value high. 

Why wait 2 years when they could sell now at a huge profit and the club on the crest of a wave? In 2 years time, much as I hope we are, we probably wont be English, World and European Champions.

My personaly view is the transfer window isnt even open yet and some a running around losing their head because chelsea and fwank are buying a few players. I keep seeing people say that gimp at united will have them as title challengers if he gets Sancho and one or two others.

Really?! I tell you what solskjaer reminds me of and that's Souey when he was manager here. Great reputation as a player but always thinking 2 or 3 more players would turn us into title winners again and burning through money at an alarming rate.

11 hours ago, Anubis said:

Varsky Sports steal another march over El Rojo and Paulie Dangerously. Our ITKs getting bitchslapped by this outfit.

I support Liverpool FC, not LiverpoolFlag FC. 

16 minutes ago, John102 said:

Think they will be watching how the next 12 months looks like.

If City and possibly Newcastle spend a lot and the Mancs throw their money about big style, they will be cautious about how this impacts on their model of business in the long term.

We aren't going anywhere with this team and with Jurgen, but if our rivals are spending gigantic amounts in the coming years, that might not be the case in 5-10 years time. They will not spend enough of their own wealth to keep pace but they will know they own one of the biggest brands in sport. Right now, I suspect they will monitor things closely knowing we are likely to win a few more trophies in the coming years.

Klopp seems to like experience in the midfield, probably because our setup seems to involve the midfield blocking up passing lanes whilst also being well-positioned to keep recycling the ball, so he values nous and positioning more than legs and lungs in this area. Hendo, Wijnaldum and Milner have always been key players for him, Lallana too to a lesser extent. Fabinho, Can, Ox and Keita are the only “young” players he’s trusted and they weren’t/aren’t exactly kids and they’ve often struggled to hold down places.

If we sign Thiago I doubt it’ll signal any change to overall policy, it’s more likely a case that there aren’t enough young players out there with the right skillset who‘re within budget, so we take a hit on the age and resale instead: it’s better value to sign Thiago to hit the ground running and play for 4 years than it is to sign his younger self for double the price and have to ease him gradually into the first team.

I’m still sceptical it’ll happen, but he could be an exception and we carry on signing younger, cheaper players for elsewhere in the team.

55 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I was trying to remember this fella's name the other day.  He's not really set the world alight since we missed out on him, has he?

Done well this season I think. Someone who follow La Liga better than me can probably confirm.

C442BE1A-432E-4E07-8A2C-47B62FBDBF55.jpeg