You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You're not wrong, but it can be as simple as instead of van Dijk hitting diagonals, it will be Thiago dropping in between the CB's and doing it. Klopp's not totally going to change us into a team that builds up slowly. Jota signing is more evidence of that. It's not like he can't play any other way, but he's very much a direct, counter attacking player. Thiago can do whatever you ask him to, but he's another string to the bow. He'll allow us to be more dangerous through the middle and build up more deliberately if we want. 

I'm not certain yet we will use thiago as a 6. And if we do use him as a 6, is fabinho dropped? There's just way too much we don't know. But what we do know (imo anyway) our midfield wasn't a weakness as the only real weakness we had was squad depth. 

6 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

I know Klopp doesn't normally throw the new boys into the mix this early  but do you think he will change that and play him from.the off tomorrow? 

He won’t, but the real point of how fit he is physically and mentally.

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not certain yet we will use thiago as a 6. And if we do use him as a 6, is fabinho dropped? There's just way too much we don't know. But what we do know (imo anyway) our midfield wasn't a weakness as the only real weakness we had was squad depth. 

We could absolutely improve it though and we just did. Could we realistically improve our first team attack and defense? I don't think so. 

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We could absolutely improve it though and we just did. Could we realistically improve our first team attack and defense? I don't think so. 

So again, I think you're looking at it too simplistically. You've decided thiago is better than any option we have in midfield, yet he's never kicked a ball here yet and it remains to be seen if he changes the balance of the team, how that impacts us. It feels a bit to me like you're looking at 11 individuals and I don't think that's how it works. 

Also in terms of could we improve the defence, well I would say it's not impossible to improve on matip or Gomez. I also think it's not impossible to improve on firmino. But if we bought someone who looked like a better player for us in the firmino position, we need to think of all the other bits we'd lose and it might have a detrimental effect on the team. Because likelihood is anyone new would change how we play. I think it's the same with thiago, he's very different to all of our current midfielders, so it's not clear to me how he'll change us. Even if we hold the same formation, I'm not certain which role he'll fill. 

So if you're point of view here is we'll create more from midfield with thiago, I think you're probably right. However, I don't think that means we're guaranteed to be more creative as a team. This is part of the fun of new players for me. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So again, I think you're looking at it too simplistically. You've decided thiago is better than any option we have in midfield, yet he's never kicked a ball here yet and it remains to be seen if he changes the balance of the team, how that impacts us. It feels a bit to me like you're looking at 11 individuals and I don't think that's how it works. 

Also in terms of could we improve the defence, well I would say it's not impossible to improve on matip or Gomez. I also think it's not impossible to improve on firmino. But if we bought someone who looked like a better player for us in the firmino position, we need to think of all the other bits we'd lose and it might have a detrimental effect on the team. Because likelihood is anyone new would change how we play. I think it's the same with thiago, he's very different to all of our current midfielders, so it's not clear to me how he'll change us. Even if we hold the same formation, I'm not certain which role he'll fill. 

So if you're point of view here is we'll create more from midfield with thiago, I think you're probably right. However, I don't think that means we're guaranteed to be more creative as a team. This is part of the fun of new players for me. 

He's not very different, he's just better, to be honest. Better at winning the ball, better at keeping the ball, better at passing it than anyone we have. He'll rotate anyway because he's not the fittest player ever in terms of playing loads of consecutive matches, but if we keep the 4-3-3, I think he'll take Fabinho's place. 

The draft boys who called for this signing in June are going to take a hell of a bow at the end of this season. This boy will also fix the issues we've been having away from home in Europe frequently. De Bruyne aside, possibly the most exciting player we could have added to the existing 11 in all of world football.