You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

30 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

I doubt Klopp would trade a year of Gini for 18m.  If he needed 18m that bad there's plenty of less important players that could be got shot of.  He'll do as he did with Can.

what if we can't shift those less important players? so if klopp is left with a choice of 

1. letting gini see his year out but miss out on thiago and hope he's still available for free next year. 

2. get gini out and thiago in this summer

what do you think he will do? because i think he will choose 2. i would like to think we have the capability in the club to bring in thiago and then recover the rest of the money later - but it would seem we don't have that option. nobody seems to be smashing down our door for gruic, wilson and shaq. so if we want thiago, we need to sell someone who actually contributes. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

what if we can't shift those less important players? so if klopp is left with a choice of 

1. letting gini see his year out but miss out on thiago and hope he's still available for free next year. 

2. get gini out and thiago in this summer

what do you think he will do? because i think he will choose 2. i would like to think we have the capability in the club to bring in thiago and then recover the rest of the money later - but it would seem we don't have that option. nobody seems to be smashing down our door for gruic, wilson and shaq. so if we want thiago, we need to sell someone who actually contributes. 

If Klopp can't get the money then he would concentrate on developing the players he has rather than jettisoning a key player.

I doubt he see's Gini who can play seemingly anywhere and is always available as like for like with a guy who could only really play as a 6 for us. 

I think if he wanted Thiago he would he here already.  As soon as a story gets as much press as this one has, it says to me it BS.

This ‘saga’ combined with the time difference spells the end of me. I wake up in the morning, refresh Twitter for news... “Thiago wants to Liverpool talks looking promising”, then everyone in Europe goes to bed... until my bed time, refresh Twitter for news... Echo: “Nonsense... baffled by the news reports from last night”. I go to bed pissed off every fucking night. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

If Klopp can't get the money then he would concentrate on developing the players he has rather than jettisoning a key player.

I doubt he see's Gini who can play seemingly anywhere and is always available as like for like with a guy who could only really play as a 6 for us. 

I think if he wanted Thiago he would he here already.  As soon as a story gets as much press as this one has, it says to me it BS.

Thiago could play 6, 8 and 10.

12 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I’ve seen some suggestion that the only thing holding up Thiago is that we need to offload a non-homegrown player? I have to admit the whole quota rule has passed me by but if this is the case just sell Karius for €1. Job done.

We only used 15 of 17 (I think) forrins' last year anyways.

23 minutes ago, aRdja said:

This ‘saga’ combined with the time difference spells the end of me. I wake up in the morning, refresh Twitter for news... “Thiago wants to Liverpool talks looking promising”, then everyone in Europe goes to bed... until my bed time, refresh Twitter for news... Echo: “Nonsense... baffled by the news reports from last night”. I go to bed pissed off every fucking night. 

psst, he's not coming, hope this helps

30 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

the player you're talking about being jettisoned was a number 10 before klopp got his hands on him. now he can play 4, 6, 8 & 10 - so i wouldn't be boxing thiago in either. i think money will be far more important in this process. in my opinion there isn't a player in the squad who doesn't have a transfer number on his back. when you have 12 months left and at 29 like gini, that becomes a number more teams can hit and the club have a greater need to compromise to ensure they don't lose the player on a bosman. i feel certain if there is a bid that is acceptable to the club, gini will go. then thiago will come in. i think klopp would prefer having gini and thiago, but i am equally sure he won't have that luxury. and our level of tightness is such, how would we replace gini in 12 months when he walks on a bosman? 

i still expect this deal to happen around the end of september. we get the early weeks of the season out of gini while ox & henderson get back to full fitness, thiago can get some fitness at bayern and then we'll make the move towards the very end of the window. Losing Gini before the opening games would leave us too short of fit players.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

cheers. so when that guy says the catalan press and dutch press are in tune, they're actually the same story filling pages! 

De Telegraaf is a tabloid these days. Odd mix of serious, right leaning, news and then sports and celebrity gossip to fill the rest of it up. Biggest selling Dutch paper. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

the player you're talking about being jettisoned was a number 10 before klopp got his hands on him. now he can play 4, 6, 8 & 10. i think money will be far more important in this process. in my opinion there isn't a player in the squad who doesn't have a transfer number on his back. when you have 12 months left and at 29 like gini, that becomes a number more teams can hit and the club have a greater need to compromise to ensure they don't lose the player on a bosman. i feel certain if there is a bid that is acceptable to the club, gini will go. then thiago will come in. i think klopp would prefer having gini and thiago, but i am equally sure he won't have that luxury. and our level of tightness is such, how would we replace gini in 12 months when he walks on a bosman? 

i still expect this deal to happen around the end of september. we get the early weeks of the season out of gini while ox & henderson get back to full fitness, thiago can get some fitness at bayern and then we'll make the move towards the very end of the window. Losing Gini before the opening games would leave us too short of fit players.  

Gini plays those positions NOW.  It would take time for Thiago to pick those up (if he even has the attributes, which I doubt) and time is in short supply this year.  Not a good swap for a like for like. 

When Gini leaves he'll be replaced by a player who fits the profile.  Young, hungry, on the right side of the salary curve.  Like we did for Can w/Fabinho.  An aging player looking for his arguably biggest contract, can't see it.

Klopp tends to get players in early and drill them for a while.  So I can't see this last minute in September type stuff happening.

Sorry Baz, you're not getting him.

I think we would be mad to get rid of Gini, he has been so reliable and our midfielders suffer their fair share of injuries.  From what I can gather, Thiago gets a fair few injuries too.

I am sure we have a plan, but I wonder whether we are going to have to have a clear out before we commit to anything.

Ejaria has gone.  Rumours on Phillips and Awoniyi too.  I presume we are trying to shift Grujic, Wilson, Karius, Woodburn and Ojo too.  We could even try and get rid of Shaqiri, Origi and Brewster.

I understand why the owners would want to sell players who don't play much of a role.  However, our income is still huge, we haven't spent much for a while and if we are missing out on players because we need to balance the books, I think that could be a problem.

We need a CB, a left sided attacker and a midfielder who can unlock defences imo.  It looks like we missed out on Werner, it will be interesting to see what we do next.

I am not sure how sustainable our transfer policy is.  It is all well and good saying look at the success, but you can't get it right every time - Keita shows us this and you have to think about the future.  When Klopp goes, I don't see anyone else doing what he does.  Also, I can only see big signings once we sell one or more of our stars. 

I think this is a genuine chance to build a dynasty.  I think a reluctance to strengthen has cost us a league or two and maybe even a cl in the recent past, so I am pleased that we have paid a reasonable fee for RB back up.

I think the owners think we can win it again this year so don't want to invest too much.  That may change if Messi signs for City.

6 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Weird because it looks like Sport are saying De Telegraaf are confirming their story. 

3D769D07-42DD-4F88-BA2C-DC0029D1511A.png

fucking mad. 

4 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

De Telegraaf is a tabloid these days. Odd mix of serious, right leaning, news and then sports and celebrity gossip to fill the rest of it up. Biggest selling Dutch paper. 

so the daily mail just about then. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Gini plays those positions NOW.  It would take time for Thiago to pick those up (if he even has the attributes, which I doubt) and time is in short supply this year.  Not a good swap for a like for like. 

When Gini leaves he'll be replaced by a player who fits the profile.  Young, hungry, on the right side of the salary curve.  Like we did for Can w/Fabinho.  An aging player looking for his arguably biggest contract, can't see it.

Klopp tends to get players in early and drill them for a while.  So I can't see this last minute in September type stuff happening.

Sorry Baz, you're not getting him.

i agree gini plays there now. personally i think with the success klopp has brought we should be able to scratch 27m together with lallana leaving to be able to have both - although i realise this blocks Jones' pathway a little, but i would solve that by shipping out the Ox or telling him to be back up fullback both sides, but that ship has sailed as we have kostas. i am surprised you think klopp doesn't want thiago, as just about all reports would suggest he does - and he has been one of the very few players klopp has not squashed rumours on and gone out of his way to complement. 

i actually don't know if thiago is what we need (due to my ignorance as I've never watched lots of him). but i feel certain klopp wants him and that is enough for me at the moment and i would really wish the club could find a way to do it to keep gini, because i think he is our most tactically astute midfielder, perhaps our most tactically astute player. but i've no doubt it is one or the other.