You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

17 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Well the only business we’ve done thus far is buying a player for roughly the same amount as what we sold one player for. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to surmise that it’s strictly sell to buy this year. Hopefully that’s bollocks and it’s more to do with changing of CEO’s and a little bit of brinkmanship but I’m not holding my breath.

This is FSG every season.

They only spend when player/s are sold.

7 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

This is FSG every season.

They only spend when player/s are sold.

While I'm not one of those "We've won the league, just enjoy it" gobshites.  I think it's worth adding that what is also "FSG" is us being in two European Cup Finals, winning one. And being the current League Champions - something we've been baying for for 30 years.  Oh, and the current World Champions. 

I'm concerned at the moment as I want to see fresh faces brought in, ideally very good fresh faces, as I want Klopp to have a bit of time with them before the season starts.  But I'm also not going to have a hop off an ownership that has delivered the absolute Holy Grail.  Especially when the window is open for another month.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Well the only business we’ve done thus far is buying a player for roughly the same amount as what we sold one player for. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to surmise that it’s strictly sell to buy this year. Hopefully that’s bollocks and it’s more to do with changing of CEO’s and a little bit of brinkmanship but I’m not holding my breath.

Changing CEO shouldn't make a difference. It's not like we've been waiting for Billy Hogan to arrive from elsewhere. I get the feeling he's been running the club in all but name throughout the entire period Peter Moore was CEO. He just appeared to be a cheerleader with a Scouse past to pacify the fans that there was someone there who was one of us. Now we've won some trophies and fsg feel more bullet proof and Hogan can be seen as part of the success, they've given him the job properly. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

While I'm not one of those "We've won the league, just enjoy it" gobshites.  I think it's worth adding that what is also "FSG" is us being in two European Cup Finals, winning one. And being the current League Champions - something we've been baying for for 30 years.  Oh, and the current World Champions. 

I'm concerned at the moment as I want to see fresh faces brought in, ideally very good fresh faces, as I want Klopp to have a bit of time with them before the season starts.  But I'm also not going to have a hop off an ownership that has delivered the absolute Holy Grail.  Especially when the window is open for another month.

Well clearly klopp isn't going to get any time with any new players, but that was almost always going to be the case I think. If we want to sign anyone who's been involved in the later stages of the CL/EL (yes, I'm really saying mbappe 2020), they needed a holiday and would only come in after the season starts. I'm ok with that, this is going to be a tough season - if the current lads can get through the 1st few months while any new signings find their feet, they can make a contribution in the 2nd half of the season when I'm sure we'll have several players dead on their feet. The only trouble is, I don't think there will be anyone without a big loss, which in turn leaves us short in those early months. 

9 hours ago, an tha said:

Just had a look at his injury record - not good.

Only managed 150 appearances in league for bayern in 7 seasons.

Only 1 season managed more than 30 league games.

Unlikely that record will improve in our league and as he gets older.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tactical_Times/status/1279335675448430592

Looks particularly shit when compared to Gini who was last injured in 2014 or something mad like that.

42 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

The only credit FSG will ever get from me is bringing in Klopp, who's basically been a reincarnation of Shankly. Imagine how many more trophies we could have bagged if he'd be properly backed?

Thiago will be our last player coming in.

I fully expect the squad to get even weaker with both Shaq and Origi to be sold as well as a few others.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

The only credit FSG will ever get from me is bringing in Klopp.

Thiago will be our our last player coming in.

I fully expect the squad to get even weaker with both Shaq and Origi to be sold as well as a few others.

Ok. 

Obviously I think your first line is ridiculous given the quality of squad we have now compared to what we had when Klopp joined.  FSG paid for that and convinced the top players with the financial package to compare with the on-field package Klopp offers. Unless both are hugely attractive, the player goes elsewhere. It's not just about the transfer fee.  In fact, most club financial officers will tell you it's the 5 year package where the real financial hit is. 

There's a shiny new stand with the badly needed increase in seats.  Something we've been hankering for for years.  There are also concrete plans to finally update the Anny Road end and those awful lower end seats.  And yes, that will happen before you start with the "I won't hold my breath.  We have demonstrable proof of that with the massive new stand to the left of it.

We're league and world champions (and until a few weeks ago, also European Champions)  To suggest that has nothing to do with FSG is as moronic as the gobshites who said our league title challenge under Rodgers had nothing to do with Rodgers. 

The next two lines is you moaning about stuff that hasn't even happened yet. Including the throw away comment where we've just signed one of the stand-out midfielders in World football?

Now, having said all that.  If when the transfer window ends we have not done anything else, then I will be very concerned also.  I won't go mad because I don't want us owned by a Chelsea type owner just spunking money everywhere.  And if we had a Man City type owner I'd walk away entirely. I also don't want the club taking big loans like Spurs and some others have.  But I will be EXTREMELY concerned that without fresh, very good, faces, we will dramatically fall away from any title challenge next year.  We brought in additions when we were winning everything in the '70s and '80s, and should do it here where sensible and appropriate.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Beats me why people lap up the shit that comes from the spanish sports outlets. They make shit up for the gullible Real Madrid and Barcelona fans who think every player would crawl over broken glass to play for them irrespective of the current realities.

There's been a big take up by British newspapers and the likes of sky to pick up the bullshit and add the qualification 'we understand that Spanish paper Marca are reporting........' blah, blah, fucking blah.

16 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Beats me why people lap up the shit that comes from the spanish sports outlets. They make shit up for the gullible Real Madrid and Barcelona fans who think every player would crawl over broken glass to play for them irrespective of the current realities.

There's been a big take up by British newspapers and the likes of sky to pick up the bullshit and add the qualification 'we understand that Spanish paper Marca are reporting........' blah, blah, fucking blah.

Everything in the Dutch media is coming from some dodgy looking Spanish sports paper as well. 

19 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Everything in the Dutch media is coming from some dodgy looking Spanish sports paper as well. 

I doubt Klopp would trade a year of Gini for 18m.  If he needed 18m that bad there's plenty of less important players that could be got shot of.  He'll do as he did with Can.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

If we ask 15 M for Harry Wilson, I’m sure we expect much more for Wijnaldum, don’t we ?

Gini's in the last 12 months of his contract. I think Wilson signed a new deal last season?

Id expect us to get more than 18m for Gini but again, Barcelona think they can set the buying price at what they want. I suspect Liverpool may hold onto Gini rather than let him go for that sum. Obviously we'd get nowt for him if we did so a bit of an conundrum!