You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

25 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Thought there was quite a few times last night where he'd hit a lovely ball and just stand there admiring his own handiwork. That said PSG were shit at pressing him for the most part so he didn't need to do much else.

That’s a bit harsh, isn’t it ? He was outstanding, MOTM with Neuer.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Thought there was quite a few times last night where he'd hit a lovely ball and just stand there admiring his own handiwork. That said PSG were shit at pressing him for the most part so he didn't need to do much else.

I agree with that, he did have a bit of a swagger about him. He's quite an arrogant player. But he can back up the arrogance. 

He is brilliant in tight spaces. Cool, calm and collected. He was always on the front foot. He'd love the opportunity to ping those long passes to Salah and Mané. I love Gini, but this guy is an extra 10%-15% on Gini. 

No doubt he's a really good player and I hope we do get him, only thing about him is his age, 29 he's only going to be a short term solution. A bit like garry mac did a fantastic job but we knew it was only for a short time. Gini is younger and I think it might be a mistake to move him on. 

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

No doubt he's a really good player and I hope we do get him, only thing about him is his age, 29 he's only going to be a short term solution. A bit like garry mac did a fantastic job but we knew it was only for a short time. Gini is younger and I think it might be a mistake to move him on. 

They’re not trying to move Gini on they have offered him a new contract. Thiago is six months older, I would prefer having both and selling Grujic, Wilson etc. 
Chamberlain is out, Keita has had trouble with injury, Henderson a bit more of late and Milner is getting on. 

7 minutes ago, Butch said:

It’s not a bit like Gary Mac at all, he was 35 when we signed him and was an extremely short term signing, Thiago 29 and probably has a good 4 years in him. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

They’re not trying to move Gini on they have offered him a new contract. Thiago is six months older, I would prefer having both and selling Grujic, Wilson etc. 
Chamberlain is out, Keita has had trouble with injury, Henderson a bit more of late and Milner is getting on. 

Have they offered Gini a contract? The latest news I thought was gini's people were still waiting on Liverpool. 

Just now, The Gaul said:

Have they offered Gini a contract? The latest news I thought was gini's people were still waiting on Liverpool. 

There are opposing stories that Liverpool have offered him a contract and he’s stalling.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

To be fair, it's hard to follow up a 40 yard crossfield pass.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K
43 minutes ago, Butch said:

Wijnaldum is older than Thiago. McAllister was 36 when we bought him, not 29. But other than that you’re bang on ..

10 minutes ago, Anubis said:

There are opposing stories that Liverpool have offered him a contract and he’s stalling.

I guess it’s probably talks ongoing more than a contract. It was reported his people wanted a three year deal when the club would only offer two years. 

It's bollocks this newspaper speculation that Liverpool havent been having contract talks with Gini's people. He was in some of the same papers writing this bullshit a couple of weeks ago saying 'it's difficult, I know what I want' etc.

These are the same hacks and papers doing a hatchet job on Gomez because the Stutgart lad broke his elbow after a shoulder to shoulder contact on a piss wet through pitch saw him slide hard into a fixed barrier 2 metres from the touchline. Joe was out of order apparently. No mention of holgate shoving Bobby into the crowd at Anfield in similar circumstances though so that's 'ok'!

So yeah, the club probably havent offered him an actual paper contract to sign. There's always toing and froing before that happens but they've clearly been talking to him via his agent.

• Upvote 1

Bayern Munich boss Hansi Flick has turned the tables on Thiago Alcantara after cracking a joke over the midfielder’s rumoured move to Liverpool.

The Reds have been conspicuous by their relatively reserved approach to the summer transfer window.

Back-up left-back Kostas Tsimikas was acquired to provide competition for Andy Robertson. However, Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren are still to be replaced following their departures. One such answer could be Bayern midfielder Thiago, who has been repeatedly linked with the Anfield club.

The classy Spaniard has got ex-Man Utd legend Wayne Rooney concerned at the prospect of him joining. Thiago’s importance to Bayern was underlined on Sunday evening as he helped the club beat PSG 1-0 in the Champions final. His superb 25-yard ball set Bayern in motion as an excellent move saw Kingsley Coman head in the winner.

The commentators on the game were very much of the opinion that Thiago was playing his last game for Bayern. However, after the match, Flick was also asked about the possibility of the player moving to Anfield.

Flick insisted that the midfielder is still yet to make his mind up over his future, and could still stay next year. He told me that he would stay [at Bayern]. I just thanked him. I don’t know [where his future lies], he doesn’t know himself yet. We’ll have to wait and see what happens in the next few days.”

Bayern are thought to have stuck a €30m price tag on his head with the player having just 10 months left on his contract. Liverpool’s inaction has sparked interest from Arsenal as they sense an opportunity.

Nicol suggests Liverpool may wait on Thiago

Pundit and former Liverpool defender Steve Nicol has backed his old club to get the deal over the line. However, he admits the Reds may have to wait until the expiry of Thiago’s contract.

“Well it’s really in the hands of the Bayern board, if Liverpool don’t come up with a compromise, and I think it was £30million Bayern wanted,” Nicol said.

“If they come up with a compromise that suits Bayern, then it’ll happen. But if it doesn’t happen in this window, then it’s going to happen next summer when his contract runs out. It’s in Bayern’s interest to get some amount of money rather than nothing. This way both Thiago is happy and Bayern receive a decent amount of money as well. It’s hanging in the balance and it’s really down to the board, they’ve got to agree on a price.

“Liverpool have shown they won’t be pushed around by anybody and ff the price isn’t right they won’t take him right now.”

3 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Flick insisted that the midfielder is still yet to make his mind up over his future, and could still stay next year. He told me that he would stay [at Bayern]. I just thanked him. I don’t know [where his future lies], he doesn’t know himself yet. We’ll have to wait and see what happens in the next few days.”

i watched this on ssn earlier, the bold bit he started laughing after and took the piss out of the journo asking the question. then he said the rest. 

2 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

I completely disagree. He passed it, he moved, he wanted it again, always available. 

I also disagree on PSG’s pressing. It was really good until Bayern scored and then went to shit. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Butch said:

He's 32 in 3 years. 3 years is a life time in football. We bought Virgil, sold Phil, got to a European cup final, we bought Allison,  came within an inch of winning the league, won the European cup and won the league, all in the last 3 years. 

3 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Anyone else think it's slightly unprofessional to have agreed terms with another club when yours is preparing for a Champions League final? I know it's the way of world but when am managing on FM20 my players are told to wait until the end of the season for transfers and contracts. Concentrate on the pitch, not the wallet. 

Usually I would agree, but I'm guessing FM20 haven't forced the season to stop for 3 months due to a global pandemic?