You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

52 minutes ago, Code said:

We had already won the league and wanted someone to buy Lallana.

Bayern want to win the CL and have already sold Thiago.

You get my thoughts , forensic dissection. Nice to know we support one of the most benevolent clubs around and it was nice to keep Adam for the celebrations (while paying him circa 400K for the pleasure). 

10 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

You get my thoughts , forensic dissection. Nice to know we support one of the most benevolent clubs around and it was nice to keep Adam for the celebrations (while paying him circa 400K for the pleasure). 

The point is Jurgen would have used him if needed. I dont know why you're making it into a drama.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

The point is Jurgen would have used him if needed. I dont know why you're making it into a drama.

Reading that posters are "worried" about Alcantra's injury record and potential wages . Just pointing out (ok slight knobish sarcastically) it doesnt seem to worry JK (you are correct I assume he sanctioned the contract extension knowing he would'nt be played) . 

Basically if we can blow a months worth of a players wages in order to do the right thing ( in most peoples eyes) we can pony up 30 million euros plus wages to do the right thing by the team/squad. 

38 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

and the "

As has been evidenced since Klopp’s appointment and under sporting director Michael Edwards’ watch, there is a wide lens view on recruitment. Decision-making is not solely based on how superb a target is.

There is too much uncertainty at present for concrete declarations, but the basic line from Anfield is that Thiago is a player they would love to have under the right circumstances – and a factor in that is having space in the midfield for him without disrupting squad harmony."

The squad harmony line is wearing thin with me . Competition for places keeps players on their toes and delivers more titles. 

Yeah it’s wearing thin on me as well 1 month on from winning the league which followed a summer of no investment after winning the champions league with similar reasoning.

Everyone loves trotting out all the cliches about strengthening when on top etc but the reality is Klopp and the club are doing it a different way.  We’ve had years of just wasting money on players.  Since Klopp came in we’ve stopped just signing players because they were the best available at the time.  Thiago is clearly a world class player but is he really necessary?  We don’t really need to change much if anything in midfield.  Specifically where Thiago plays I just can’t see it happening.  If a big offer comes in for one of our midfielders they may weigh it all up or as I said previously just wait a year.

26 minutes ago, Marko121 said:

I agree with this.  Gini stepped up as soon as Keita was signed 

There is competition for places,as borne out by our unprecedented success over the last two seasons. That success has been built on not having players being titty lipped when not playing and not rocking the boat. The World Club Cup was built on the likes of Shaq,Lallana and Origi playing a part,likewise the league title. Writing off squad harmony as a major factor in our success is just stupid.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Weird how BM are giving an injury prone, want away midfielder so much playing time in their CL quest. Compare that to the cotton wool we wrapped lallana in after we won the PL.  

klopp said he had a verbal agreement with lallana not to play him once the league was won so we didn't jeopardise his move. 

Guest Alex_K
2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's not water. She literally says we're "significantly interested". 

“Given his pedigree and technical rareness, Liverpool are significantly interested in Thiago.” Weird

4 hours ago, Baltar said:

Same. Gini and Thiago would compliment each other well, and I don't think Thiago would be a like-for-like replacement at all.

Absolutely. For what it's worth, I think Gini is exactly the kind of player that Real or Barca could do with, but his understated excellence might not be appreciated by the galactico fans. 

He would be a big loss here. Like a lot of our great 70s/80s players, he rarely has a bad game and is pretty much a 7/10 most weeks with a healthy amount of 8-9/10 games thrown in. He seems like a really good lad as well.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The Guest said:

Yeah it’s wearing thin on me as well 1 month on from winning the league which followed a summer of no investment after winning the champions league with similar reasoning.

Everyone loves trotting out all the cliches about strengthening when on top etc but the reality is Klopp and the club are doing it a different way.  We’ve had years of just wasting money on players.  Since Klopp came in we’ve stopped just signing players because they were the best available at the time.  Thiago is clearly a world class player but is he really necessary?  We don’t really need to change much if anything in midfield.  Specifically where Thiago plays I just can’t see it happening.  If a big offer comes in for one of our midfielders they may weigh it all up or as I said previously just wait a year.

Necessary? Absolutely. This team isn't the finished article by any means and can clearly improve. There were small signs last season in certain games of teams figuring us out to an extent, would be great if the opposition could never be sure how we were going to play.

In a tight race next year you only need a game like Burnley at home to mess you up.

6 hours ago, The Guest said:

The opportunity to sign a player of Thiagos calibre doesn't come along every window 

Guest Alex_K
4 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Necessary? Absolutely. This team isn't the finished article by any means and can clearly improve. There were small signs last season in certain games of teams figuring us out to an extent, would be great if the opposition could never be sure how we were going to play.

In a tight race next year you only need a game like Burnley at home to mess you up.

Yup. Point is not repeated enough. Teams have to continually evolve or else you fall into the Mourinho-trap. Ferguson's sides played many different styles across his tenure for example - its really not acceptable to stand still. The opposition won't.

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

That Melissa Reddy article is basically telling Wijnaldum and his agent to move on, isn't it?

I didn't read it like that. I read it as a message to Bayern, we're not arsed about waiting a year, we've got Gini and we're happy to hold him and take thiago on a free as Gini leaves on a free. 

However, I genuinely take exception to her description of thiago as a "metronome". What on earth is she talking about? She's the single most overrated Liverpool reporter. She would not look at of place on the echo daily minute by minute update.