You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

7 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I meant that maybe there's a feeling from both the player and the manager that when push comes to shove he is not the first choice. If we were to sign Thiago, then Gini would fall down the pecking order. 

All the signs are pointing to him leaving either this summer or next due to his contract situation. We wouldn't have allowed this to happen with VVD, Salah or Mane. He's not viewed as indespensible. 

Maybe. But as i say, Henderson got in that position too at one point I think, maybe even during that same season before his move up the pitch. I'd be surprised if there's many players who start more games than Gini. But I genuinely think keita was targeted for gini's spot when he was bought, but Gini did that thing that great players do, he took it as a challenge and improved his game. There's a lot of this situation that doesn't ring true about what's in the public domain, but I'd be really surprised if Gini was a player who didn't fancy himself to keep anyone out of the team. 

The echo again this morning throwing more water on this transfer. It seems a daily (in fact multi daily!) occurance at the moment. 

All in all it comes in a strange article which pretty much says "fans saying we should buy from a position of strength, but we did in 2018". Then goes on to say, yeah, yeah, the premier league might have given Liverpool their full pay out this year, but what about other revenue streams, unless they all do we can't spend. I don't quite understand that logic to be honest, as it's just deferred isn't it? And it's not like transfers are paid in a lump, the cost of the transfer is usually as big in years 2 and 3 as it is in year 1. 

Screenshot_20200815-082719.jpg

12 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I don’t remember that, I must admit, but hope it was the case. I recall it being written that Van Dijk was heading to City and Alisson Chelsea, but not that we weren’t interested.

All talk about Alisson was of zero interest then out of nowhere he signed. There had been loads of rumours of bids and interest but the reliable sources kept saying it is not happening. Either the reliable sources are not reliable or they are keeping shtum until the signing is finalised. 

51 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

All talk about Alisson was of zero interest then out of nowhere he signed. There had been loads of rumours of bids and interest but the reliable sources kept saying it is not happening. Either the reliable sources are not reliable or they are keeping shtum until the signing is finalised. 

Yeah, but that's because we pulled out of the fekir deal. We couldn't afford him before that. 

39 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

There were even reports that Danny Ward was going to be given a go that season.

I wonder how shocking karius was in those early pre-season games influenced the choices. There's always been so many rumours about what happened with fekir, you even wonder if the reason we pulled out was we just wanted to reallocate the money to alisson - although I might be wrong but I seem to remember we pulled out of that deal before the world cup, so I'm guessing before karius returned. 

3 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

4 year deal agreed between the player and Liverpool. The player has already picked his house in England. Liverpool still to finalise a deal with Bayern though. 

Some French guy has the scoop on a Spanish guy playing for a German club on a move to an English club?

Very credible.

• Upvote 1

Had an email last night that Scarlett Johansen has agreed in principle to marrying me. Just waiting for confirmation from the venue and the priest to agree to conduct the ceremony. 

#mere formalities