You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

On 25/05/2022 at 16:02, Barrington Womble said:

I just think we will go longer if they're better in midfield. VVD will just take over and we'll hit our front men and trent. And as for stopping modric, we probably won't regardless of which of our midfielders play. He's a good player and you can't stop everything. But it's not a one man sport, it's a team game, so it's a question of what we do when he releases the ball. For instance thiago started on Sunday, it didn't stop wolves creating multiple chances through the 1st half. That wasn't specifically thiago's fault, we defended poorly as a unit. If we do that again on Saturday, we're fucked. What we need to do on Saturday is ensure we're as solid and in control as we can be without the ball and when we have it, we need to be less wasteful as we have over the last few weeks of the season. And that's not just the forwards. It's the final balls into the box when teams are open. It's being ruthless on set pieces when we have good aerial chances. We've dropped off significantly lately in those situations - in fact probably since the 2nd half of the city cup semi final. Getting to our best in their box is the most important thing we can do on Saturday. 

Fabinho will need to get around Modric - he would have stopped a lot of the nonsense against Wolves had he played.  We do need to be clinical with any chances we get.  I do think we will get opportunities on the break, and all we can do is hope Salah is on form and Diaz finds his scoring boots.  If we get 60 minutes out of Thiago, we'll win.  

• Upvote 2

Probably good omen given the result of the game, but I remember Bobby’s wretched performance in the final after what felt like a month long of “will he? won’t he?”. Much as I rate Thiago, If there’s any doubt then he should start the game on the bench and brought on if we need a result IMO. 

11 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Probably good omen given the result of the game, but I remember Bobby’s wretched performance in the final after what felt like a month long of “will he? won’t he?”. Much as I rate Thiago, If there’s any doubt then he should start the game on the bench and brought on if we need a result IMO. 

Thiago played a week ago, there's no issue of sharpness. If he's not injured, there shouldn't be a problem.

10 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I'm worried that he's not 100% healed but they're able to stick him full of painkillers to get him through a one off game.

I wouldn't want to be in a situation where we bring him on and then needs subbing off again 5 minutes later because he's pulled something. 

47 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I wish he'd retire from International football.

He doesn't seem to be a big part of the managers plans anyway.

I think a fair few of our 30+ players will be retiring soon. With the world cup only being a year after the euros I reckon a lot of them thought fuck it, might as well squeeze one more in. 

Good chance this will be Hendo's last international tournament. He'll be looking at Milner and seeing how he has extended his career by binning of the national team early. 

10 hours ago, Aventus said:

I think a fair few of our 30+ players will be retiring soon. With the world cup only being a year after the euros I reckon a lot of them thought fuck it, might as well squeeze one more in. 

Good chance this will be Hendo's last international tournament. He'll be looking at Milner and seeing how he has extended his career by binning of the national team early. 

I hope so with Hendo but I dont get that feeling.

The thing with the ways these tournaments have fallen, it's only another 18 months to the euros. Obviously it's in our interests for these players to stop playing international tournaments, but I just don't see players like Henderson dropping out, unless he's quite a distance from the team - like carragher used to be. 

• 1 month later...

Was listed on club site as returning to training on 4th July....but no sign of him so far....

Players returning for pre-season on July 4: Adrian, Carvalho, Davies, Diaz, Elliott, Firmino, Gomez, Henderson, Kelleher, Konate, Matip, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Phillips, Ramsay, Thiago, N. Williams, R. Williams, Van den Berg.

The remaining members of the squad will join pre-season training later in the week following their international commitments during the summer.